ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on wiring up quad boxes  (Read 7481 times)

Lyle Williams

Re: Question on wiring up quad boxes
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 03:45:53 PM »

I have no familiarity with US codes nor wiring products.  I'm on the other side of the world.

To me, pigtails in a portable application don't fill me with joy.

Can you just thin out 25% of the 10ga strands and clamp the remainder in a smaller bootlace ferrule?

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 08:02:10 PM »

I would have a hard ime arguing against hinning out a few strands-and I can't say I haven't ever done so-but if you are concerned about meeting codes, that will usually be unacceptable.
Steve Swaffer

Paul Miller

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 01:38:10 AM »

Does that mean that I need one of these for each conductor?  If so, then I would need three of these for each quad box?  If that's the case, that might be a pretty tight fit.

They lay very flat and are easy to tuck in below the receptacles. Not bulky at all like multiple heavy gauge wires going into wire nuts.

Here's a picture of a box being built using the 5 way Wago 221 connectors and 12 ga. wiring.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 10:50:11 AM »

Here's a picture of a box being built using the 5 way Wago 221 connectors and 12 ga. wiring.

That's pretty slick!  Thanks for the tip.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

John Schalk

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 01:14:01 PM »

Thanks for posting the picture, it helps a lot.  I think I'll see what deliver times are like for these.  I already have at least $50 into each quad, so what's another $5 per box!

Lyle Williams

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »

Ok, I was picturing in my mind those twist-on wire nuts that have never been legal down here.  The picture looks nice and stable.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 10:00:45 PM »

if your going from 10 to 12 gauge for a couple of inches anyway. Why not just cut off a few strands until it fits.  This would reduce the gauge (and increase the resistance) for just a fraction of a inch.
Not to Code

Frank Czar

• Website
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 06:24:58 PM »

Hey Guys,

I was just about to ask this same question, "why not cut off a few strands till its 12ga"
It would seem to me your doing the same the with 2 less connections equaling 2 less points of failure. If it is not to code what would make using a Wago 221 a better safer connection?
Frank Czar
Concert Works
Daytona Beach FL. & US Virgin Islands
www.concertworksvi.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 06:29:50 PM »

Hey Guys,

I was just about to ask this same question, "why not cut off a few strands till its 12ga"
It would seem to me your doing the same the with 2 less connections equaling 2 less points of failure. If it is not to code what would make using a Wago 221 a better safer connection?

Because it's a Code violation?

The Wago 221 can accept a range of wire sizes without compromise.  In some non-USA jurisdictions "wire nuts" are not accepted materials and the 221 was designed to meet that need.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:32:21 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Frank Czar

• Website
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 08:22:51 PM »

Hey Tim,

I'm not saying use any wire nuts, I was saying take your 10ga H N G coming in the box and snip a few strands off each one so it is essentially becomes a 12ga wire at the receptacle. In my mind this seems like a better and safer way than adding more connections and crowding the box with the Wago 221's. I realize this may not be code but am I missing something in my thinking that "theoretically" it would be better?
Frank Czar
Concert Works
Daytona Beach FL. & US Virgin Islands
www.concertworksvi.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 08:22:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.