ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Souncraft K2 Mixer Info Needed  (Read 1645 times)

Jeff Bankston

Souncraft K2 Mixer Info Needed
« on: June 14, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »

I am looking for info on a K2. How does the K2 compare to a Soundcraft 8000. Sound quality,reliability,etc.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:54:11 PM by Jeff Bankston »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Souncraft K2 Mixer Info Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 04:29:57 PM »

I am looking for info on a K2. How does the K2 compare to a Soundcraft 8000. Sound quality,reliability,etc.
I've got a 48 channel K2 if you are interested.  A Church was the previous owner-never toured, 2 power supplies, no case
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 11:02:03 PM »

Well.......I used a K2 many years ago in my sound infancy. The mixer has pretty much all your typical analog features. It has mute groups which I guess is a step above others in its class. I was not overly impressed by its sound over my then current A&H GL2400 ( they both sounded good ) and the K2 is not in the same class as the 8000. The 8000 series is older and modular. The 8000 was also marketed as a higher class mixer. Since the 8000 series is a bit older, it is also likely close to need of repair and it doesn't have the output density of the K2. The 8000 is more found in studios these days. The K2 is pretty much the same really. The one I used was a 32 frame mixer and 2-3 channels were dead. The nice thing about the 8000 is that because it is modular, you can simply remove a channel strip and replace it with another.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 01:26:23 PM »

It's a pretty nice analog mixer from the middle of the range - not modular, but not "one huge circuit board" Mackie style either. Sounds decent, has the rare feature of an adjustable frequency low cut.

Reliability - not amazing. The electronic design is OK, but the main problem is that the normalling on the insert jacks goes bad over time, making channels seem dead.  Also the usual power supply tends to fail after a few years when the bridge rectifiers die.  Neither of those problems are very difficult to fix, though.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 03:35:30 AM »

Well I finally decided to get off my wallet and join the big time mixers. I just bought a very nice hardly used 48 mono channel Midas Heritage 2000 from one of the big time tour sound companies. I got a hell of a deal and still have some padding left in my wallet to sit on. It comes with 2 power supplies, road case, lights, extra cables and free delivery via one of their trucks. It was checked out by a Midas service tech and is in perfect working order. It also comes with a new Midas muffler and is very quiet.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 09:03:47 AM »

...... where's the touch-screen? Dante or AES50?

:P :-[ ;D 8)
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »

It also comes with a new Midas muffler and is very quiet.

Blue-eyed R&B group from Kansas 'back in the day' (50 years ago) was King Midas and the Mufflers.  They're still playing, driving around in the same school bus (think Partridge Family) they had in 1970.

The Mufflers now have 2nd and 3rd generation Midases in the band...

/topic swerve
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »

Good choice.

The K2 was not Soundcraft's greatest offering. The 8000 was great though. That was my first "big boy" mixer.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 10:20:01 PM »

I've got a 48 channel K2 if you are interested.  A Church was the previous owner-never toured, 2 power supplies, no case
PM sent

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 10:20:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.