ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Use of DAW software for beginners  (Read 3008 times)

Tony Mamoh

Use of DAW software for beginners
« on: June 14, 2018, 07:16:28 AM »

I'm sending this post because I assume this particular forum is for 'lite beginners' and not the real pros. If any pros are offended, please accept my apology in advance.

I am a beginner to the world of DAW, and want to use a free version (most likely Reaper, since I have a Windows system and not MAC) . I am aware that the trial version is free for 60 days, but want to know if the capabilities of that trial version will remain available for my use, should I decide not to upgrade to the $60 limited version, after the initial 60 days.

I intend primarily to use the DAW for live recording on a laptop via a mixer only (basically stereo, but if the DAW allows.....perhaps multitrack)

I am aware that the free DAW software will never give the full capabilities of the paid/licensed DAW.  Thanks!

Tim Halligan

Re: Use of DAW software for beginners
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:20:20 AM »

The demo of Reaper is fully functional, and so will allow multitrack recording.

After the trial expires, you'll get a nag screen for a while.

The functionality of the $60 version is not limited in any way...it's just limited to "personal use."

It isn't a lot of money to just outright purchase - either the personal license, or the commercial license.

If you are looking for a free DAW...which it sounds like you really are...then maybe you should look at Audacity.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

John Schalk

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »

If you are looking for a free DAW...which it sounds like you really are...then maybe you should look at Audacity.

I use Audacity for 2 track recording and for file conversions; WAV to MP3 mostly.  It works well on Macs and PCs, so you can learn the basics for Audacity, and use it on either operating system.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 02:36:04 PM »

REAPER FTW!!!! It is the BEST option there is. The paid version of it is only $60 for home use. The free version is 100% unlocked, but is several updates behind in time ( no big deal really ). It is everything you need and is simply an amazing freeware.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 12:21:07 PM »

+1 for Reaper. Really an excellent piece of software.

I happen to be using it right now to record 31 track church services times 4 over the course of the weekend. I ditched ProTools to go with Reaper. I don't regret it a single bit.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 01:51:16 PM »

Definitely try Reaper. As said, it's fully functional even after the trial, but you have to wait through the nag screen when it opens.

You mention recording through a mixer. That's not necessarily your best option. With or without a mixer you're still going to want a proper interface that connects to the computer digitally. Avoid using the line or mic input on the laptop. In some cases the mixer will have the needed connection, typically USB, to act as the interface, but many USB mixers have poor quality sound and limited capabilities. Get unbiased expert advice before buying.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 02:01:25 PM »

+1 for Reaper. Really an excellent piece of software.

I happen to be using it right now to record 31 track church services times 4 over the course of the weekend. I ditched ProTools to go with Reaper. I don't regret it a single bit.

I did exactly this.  I used Reaper to record 48 tracks from 2 X32s on a PowerMac G5 every Sunday for 2 services.  Offload that on to 2009 iMac in my office for mixdown with Reaper and nothing more than the plugins that came with it.  Worked essentially flawlessly for several years.

I ditched PT years ago and wouldn't go back even if it was free....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 07:47:33 PM »

I did exactly this.  I used Reaper to record 48 tracks from 2 X32s on a PowerMac G5 every Sunday for 2 services.  Offload that on to 2009 iMac in my office for mixdown with Reaper and nothing more than the plugins that came with it.  Worked essentially flawlessly for several years.

I ditched PT years ago and wouldn't go back even if it was free....

Also, I'll just throw this out there, I'm still using all the Waves plugins that the Church already owned. I didn't have to give anything up to go with Reaper.*

*Except for the frustration of keeping PT up and running. I happily gave that up! haha
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 09:00:17 PM »

I saw the light at the end of the PT tunnel a long time ago!!!!!!! I had the Digi02 rig and when it went to iLok for operation with the 03 release I was concerned. I was rather peeved that updates to my unit shortly ceased thereafter. I had a unit that was only a few years old that no longer was getting updates and the new software and plugins required a fob to use. It was bad enough having to carry the darn rack around...... Within the course of about 5 years I had a Digi02 and Digidesign / Avid went from the LE versions straight to PT 9 and so on...... I was very very mad to have spent $1,200 on a unit that was cumbersome to use, required a beast of a machine to run it and was essentially dead and discontinued after less than 5 years time.

I had been searching for about a year after the PT9 release ( 2010-11 ) for another real contender. Audacity, Cubase, Garageband, Samplitude and a couple others and I still wasn't happy. I had an old release ( pre iLok ) for a waves diamond bundle, another reason I was so mad at Pro Tools ( I couldn't use my plugins because I had no iLok ) with the latter versions. I had spent a very pretty penny on that software and wanted a software that it worked well in without hassle. Reaper was that software!!!! I got into it about 7-8 years ago ( version 4 still ) and never looked back. Got rid of the by then very unstable PT Digi02 LE unit and migrated all my plugins into Reaper. While many of the others worked fine, none worked as well as Reaper.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 01:34:35 PM »

-beginning of rant-
Use the software during the trial period, and if you like it, PAY FOR IT!
This is one of my big pet peeves, that people want useful tools for free.
They're happy to pay $8 for a cup of coffee, but complain about paying for something that they will use for perhaps years.
You'll borrow a wrench from a friend to tighten a loose bolt, but you don't keep it.
Someone put a LOT OF WORK into making these programs functional and should be compensated.
-end of rant-
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 01:34:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.