ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linea/Danley processor; LIR vs LR24  (Read 3510 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Linea/Danley processor; LIR vs LR24
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:36:09 PM »

Been working on building tunings for my speakers using the Danley SC-48.

As a test of how well does Linea's version of linear phase crossovers work,
I set up a 4-way crossover and looked at transfer and impulse of the 4 bands summed together. 

Linea says there LIR filters approximate the shape of LR24 filters, so for comparison I switched all the LIR xovers to LR24s, using the same xover freqs,
and again looked at transfer and impulse for the summed bands.

The idea being, at least electrically, to see how much cleaner using linear phase crossovers is, than using minimum phase ones.
So maybe others have interest here too...

Impulse responses are quite different IMO. The LIR filter summation looks super.

Below are screen shots of the processor setups, transfers and impulse.
First is the LIR setup, then LR24

edit:  I should add, the super LIR impulse has a price....  12.6ms latency vs2.8ms for LR24

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:38:10 PM by Mark Wilkinson »

Timo Beckman

• Rational Acoustics/Isemcon/Fulcrum Acoustic NL
    • Timo Beckman Geluid
Re: Linea/Danley processor; LIR vs LR24
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 05:44:20 AM »

So depending on the application you can always choose to do the 121Hz LIR as a LR filter to get latency down?
It would probably get latency down to 5-7 ms

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 07:13:58 AM »

I remember hearing that these linea processors could do multiband output limiting, which could be useful to protect different passbands in a passive speaker.  Have you looked into that at all? Does engaging that add phase wraps or latency?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Uwe Riemer2

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 05:10:17 AM »

I remember hearing that these linea processors could do multiband output limiting, which could be useful to protect different passbands in a passive speaker.  Have you looked into that at all? Does engaging that add phase wraps or latency?

Each output has 3 limiters.
VX, Tx and Xmax
VX can be switched to dual band operation, then you specify virtual crossover frequency and relative threshold of the upper band in reference to the lower band.
Switching to dual band limiting will add some latency, probably dependent on virtual crossover.
Under utility menu the amp/DSP reports total latency.

Linea Research has a couple of videos on Youtube

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 08:50:18 AM »

So depending on the application you can always choose to do the 121Hz LIR as a LR filter to get latency down?
It would probably get latency down to 5-7 ms

Yes, depending on application it's an easy switch. 
When I change the 121Hz LIR to LR, the unit shows that latency x-over drops to 3.3ms (not including additional fixed I/O of about 0.7ms)

I just wish the unit could do 48 dB/oct LIR.   I really like steep, solves alot of main to sub summing problems IMO. 
I'd use high latency 48 dB LiR for playback, and low latency 48 dB IIR for live.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 09:01:44 AM »

Yep, like Uwe says, the VX peak limiter can be split into 2 limiters per output. 
Like you're saying, it could be very useful on a passive.
I'm going to try it on a BMS coax compression driver, using BMS's passive crossover which crosses at 6300Hz.
Manual says it can add up to a max of 1.53ms additional latency, but that's for very low freq use.
At a 6300 Hz split like for the BMS CD, it would add less than 0.1ms

The x-max limiter is really cool too.  You specify a freq that kicks in a sliding limiter....doesn't effect the whole band...I've watched it work in Smaart...does exactly as claimed.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »

Each output has 3 limiters.
VX, Tx and Xmax
VX can be switched to dual band operation, then you specify virtual crossover frequency and relative threshold of the upper band in reference to the lower band.
Switching to dual band limiting will add some latency, probably dependent on virtual crossover.
Under utility menu the amp/DSP reports total latency.

Linea Research has a couple of videos on Youtube
The vx limiters attach time is tied to the xover freq, so there is also a peak limiter, that is called "overshoot". This will put a limiter (in dB) for peaks above the vx voltage that has a faster attack time.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.