ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: FOH Canopy / Tent KD??  (Read 8144 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
FOH Canopy / Tent KD??
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:05:43 AM »

There's a few posts on the forum about KD Canopy. The comments are positive.  Looks like I may choose them for my next (immediate) upgrade.  Did an event last Saturday with my white tent... it was hot and humid; the white canopy didn't offer too much "shade".

Does anyone use a KD canopy with a canopy that that does not allow light through (or at least blocks a lot of light)?  I've always used white canopies, of which it hasn't mattered how dense the canopy fabric is, it's always too bright under it - hard to see the LED lights on the console, and I feel I never am really out of the sun. 

I wouldn't mind having a PVC (Vinyl) tent, but I think those may be too heavy and too $$$$.

Was looking at the KD Majestic canopy (10' x 10'), but with a blue canopy to help reduce the light. What ever I decide on will need to have 4 walls to keep out rain.

Anyone have experience with the Majestic model?

I'm also looking a Shelter Logic (http://www.shelterlogic.com/shop/commercial-10-x-10-ft-pop-up-canopy-by-quik-shade). 

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: FOH Canopy / Tent KD??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:35:51 AM »

We've got a white top, but the KD XTF model is the "buy once, cry once" tent.  You may eventually need to replace the top, but short of running it over with the truck it is likely the last one you'll ever buy.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:55:24 AM »

We just bought a few of the KD tents. They're nice, although quite pricey once you include sidewalls. Was surprised to find that the boxes said "Made in China," and even more surprised when we saw an identical version (aluminum hex legs, same mechanisms) at a festival a few weeks ago. Chatted-up the owner of the tent, and he got his on Amazon for about 1/2 the price. Even had the same carrying bag.

Mal Brown

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »

I知 running with the KD Blue Canopy.  we got rained on last friday night.  gusts to 40 mph.  worked great I had a full tent of photogs and other event staff.  we were the only dry spot on the site.  we tied off to the bleachers we were setup behind.  Saturday morning, another site.  Same winds less rain I ballasted 3 corners. 

for me the KD was a deep gulp.  I知 reminded of my investment in K&M.  I believe the saying goes buy once, cry once.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 01:06:49 PM »

We just bought a few of the KD tents. They're nice, although quite pricey once you include sidewalls. Was surprised to find that the boxes said "Made in China," and even more surprised when we saw an identical version (aluminum hex legs, same mechanisms) at a festival a few weeks ago. Chatted-up the owner of the tent, and he got his on Amazon for about 1/2 the price. Even had the same carrying bag.
Yes.  This concerns me.  I've come across a couple of other tent models that look identical to other tents I've seen.  KD seems a bit pricey, but if the tents work and hold together well, I have no issue spending the money - though, if I can find the same thing elsewhere (under a different name...?), I'll go that route.

I知 running with the KD Blue Canopy.  we got rained on last friday night.  gusts to 40 mph.  worked great I had a full tent of photogs and other event staff.  we were the only dry spot on the site.  we tied off to the bleachers we were setup behind.  Saturday morning, another site.  Same winds less rain I ballasted 3 corners. 

for me the KD was a deep gulp.  I知 reminded of my investment in K&M.  I believe the saying goes buy once, cry once.

Thanks for the info.  In the times you have used it on sunny days, does it do a decent job of keeping the light out?  What size of tent are you using?

Mal Brown

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 02:46:03 PM »

10x10 no side walls.  We sometimes have to move the mixer table depending on where the sun is but we don稚 have deal with bleed from the sun through the top.

We are Soundcraft UI and SI based.  So iPads and the SI menus are mandatory for us.

Ambient wind speed is too hopping for side walls where I知 located... mine is vented at the top with the center pole.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:16:19 AM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 02:54:28 PM »

Yes.  This concerns me.  I've come across a couple of other tent models that look identical to other tents I've seen.  KD seems a bit pricey, but if the tents work and hold together well, I have no issue spending the money - though, if I can find the same thing elsewhere (under a different name...?), I'll go that route.
Thanks for the info.  In the times you have used it on sunny days, does it do a decent job of keeping the light out?  What size of tent are you using?

Bob, the spec to look for is the UV rating.  The higher the number the more opaque to UV.  White is still white but you can clip a smaller tarp inside the frame if you need more shade.

I've been looking at Eurmax canopies (some models on Amazon).  About 4 or 5 price levels where the primary difference is in the frame supplied.  Looks like 2 or 3 grades of tops in the spread, too.  Might be worth a look.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 11:26:06 PM »

I have a couple of Ez-Up canopies. I bought a replacement blue opaque top for it. When it must be white like all the rest, I put the white one back on over the blue. Works fine for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mal Brown

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 01:17:26 AM »

Reminds me that I need to order a pure white non-logo top...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 07:05:16 AM »

Bob, the spec to look for is the UV rating.  The higher the number the more opaque to UV.  White is still white but you can clip a smaller tarp inside the frame if you need more shade.

I've been looking at Eurmax canopies (some models on Amazon).  About 4 or 5 price levels where the primary difference is in the frame supplied.  Looks like 2 or 3 grades of tops in the spread, too.  Might be worth a look.
Thanks for the Eurmax suggestion.  Yes, I tried using a smaller tarp (vinyl), but could not get it to fit without having to get the ends pulled tight, which caused the tent frame to distort.

I have a couple of Ez-Up canopies. I bought a replacement blue opaque top for it. When it must be white like all the rest, I put the white one back on over the blue. Works fine for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I started with EZ-Up many, many years ago.  They were great, but the canopy wore out fairly quickly, and the construction of it was beginning to show its limitations (and lifespan).  However, thinking about it, I'm fairly confident I bought a lower-economic model at that time.  Perhaps I'll revisit them.

ProSoundWeb Community

ツォ Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 07:05:16 AM ツサ

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.