ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freespeak Antenna splitter over Fiber  (Read 1207 times)

Elliot Carroll

Freespeak Antenna splitter over Fiber
« on: June 17, 2018, 12:06:43 PM »

Has anybody found the sweet spot for cable compensation when using a piece of fiber instead of cat5 for an antenna splitter?

300m of fiber, just wondering if it acts the same at a piece of cat5 in terms of "length".

Currently set to 280m, doesn't seem to push to the FOH antennas very often, the beltpacks keep holding onto the backstage ones.

Thanks
Elliot Carroll
ESC Audio Services
Bend, Oregon

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Freespeak Antenna splitter over Fiber
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 12:17:45 PM »

Has anybody found the sweet spot for cable compensation when using a piece of fiber instead of cat5 for an antenna splitter?

300m of fiber, just wondering if it acts the same at a piece of cat5 in terms of "length".

Currently set to 280m, doesn't seem to push to the FOH antennas very often, the beltpacks keep holding onto the backstage ones.

Thanks

I would expect to need very little if any compensation. Loss through fiber is far less than through CAT5.

Mac

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:46:13 PM »

Thanks

I rarely use timing compensation, even with cables up to 250' and long fiber.  Where it is needed in locations where some of the antennas are around the corner from the others.  When we do the Macys day parade 10 antennas are on 34th street and 10 on 6th avenue (split 19 and 24)  BP tend to not let go of the far antennas when they return to home base.  timing compensation of 1000M seems to fix it.  I think it is because of the reflections off of the buildings.

The way I test it is to turn on 8 BP in each band and put them all in a bag and walk the entire venue watching where the bp connect and more importantly let go.

You can also see the effect of timing compensation while watching the Site Survey screen.  As antennas are in sync they will appear on the screen.  if one doesn't appear and is essentially line of sight, adjust the Timing and it will appear.  antennas around corners maybe not.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Elliot Carroll

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 05:02:25 PM »

I rarely use timing compensation, even with cables up to 250' and long fiber.  Where it is needed in locations where some of the antennas are around the corner from the others.  When we do the Macys day parade 10 antennas are on 34th street and 10 on 6th avenue (split 19 and 24)  BP tend to not let go of the far antennas when they return to home base.  timing compensation of 1000M seems to fix it.  I think it is because of the reflections off of the buildings.

The way I test it is to turn on 8 BP in each band and put them all in a bag and walk the entire venue watching where the bp connect and more importantly let go.

You can also see the effect of timing compensation while watching the Site Survey screen.  As antennas are in sync they will appear on the screen.  if one doesn't appear and is essentially line of sight, adjust the Timing and it will appear.  antennas around corners maybe not.

I typically don't use the compensation either, as I have found (atleast in one general space) that it doesn't seem to make a difference.  That being said, never used fiber on these before, so thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the info Pete and Mac!
Elliot Carroll
ESC Audio Services
Bend, Oregon

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 05:02:25 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 23 queries.