ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on using a stock show  (Read 4121 times)

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Re: Opinions on using a stock show
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 07:30:56 PM »

--snip--

Yes, the X32 has the frustration of not having full custom layers, though the per channel input soft patching can fix up most issues.  Also, there are some great tools developed by an X32 user at https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32

Amongst these are X32CustomLayer, a Windows utility, that allows for channels to be moved around the desk, or for channels to be inserted into an existing layout.  This is a great way of having a standard festival patch, without needing burner channels, but being able to add channels into the layout if required.  Really useful at times...
That's really cool Alec. I didn't know of Patrick's work before.  While I do bash the console for not having a custom layer I truly appreciate that the B-folks released the OSC protocol (full disclosure, I'm an open source oficionado) allowing these types of creative enhancements to come to fruition. Case in point, MixingStation for the X32 archecture is considerably more full featured as compared to the implementation for the QU series which (as per my understanding) must squeeze through the Midi interface.
..db

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 01:15:52 PM »

While I do bash the console for not having a custom layer I truly appreciate that the B-folks released the OSC protocol (full disclosure, I'm an open source oficionado) allowing these types of creative enhancements to come to fruition. Case in point, MixingStation for the X32 archecture is considerably more full featured as compared to the implementation for the QU series which (as per my understanding) must squeeze through the Midi interface.
This is why I've become such an advocate of the X32/M32 line over other low price mixers.  It isn't the best mixer out there, at all.  But its very ubiquity gives it a massive advantage over the competition.

Nothing wrong with the Si, QU, StudioLive, and even the SQ series.  But you can't get round the fact that the X32 will be the most familiar desk to a walk up newbie - they're in schools everywhere in the UK.  Also, if a problem occurs, there's likely another one in the locality that can be begged/borrowed to save the night.

It's just the like old Windows/Mac and VHS/betamax situations - the "right" solution may not always be the "best" one...

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 10:56:01 AM »

Just wanted to revist this post and send a big thanks for all of the responses. I plan on re-doing my set-up this Saturday am, so the input is really appreciated.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 07:32:34 AM »

Just wanted to revist this post and send a big thanks for all of the responses. I plan on re-doing my set-up this Saturday am, so the input is really appreciated.
One of my general band hints for those with their own in-ear rack is to tape an input list to the inside of one of the rack covers.

It makes quick patching easy especially in a festival setting with no advance.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 04:48:03 PM »

One of my general band hints for those with their own in-ear rack is to tape an input list to the inside of one of the rack covers.

It makes quick patching easy especially in a festival setting with no advance.

When I played in a band that had our own IEM system, we had a 25' snake coiled up in the rack marked with each input's name.  That way the house could patch into whatever input they wanted.  The back of the rack had the same names for the stage to be patched to if we used their mics.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2018, 05:39:24 PM »

When I played in a band that had our own IEM system, we had a 25' snake coiled up in the rack marked with each input's name.  That way the house could patch into whatever input they wanted.  The back of the rack had the same names for the stage to be patched to if we used their mics.
Many bands have those types of labels, many are indecipherable/illegible especially in poor right conditions.

I am not saying don't label your tails (just don't cover the channel numbers), but all it costs is a piece of printer paper and a couple of pieces of tape to have a stage plot/input list where you will never lose it.

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2018, 05:39:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.