ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Resistance is futile - iPad Pro advice?  (Read 3995 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Resistance is futile - iPad Pro advice?
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 08:29:12 AM »

So, there's only a $20 difference between the 128GB prior Generation version and the 64GB current one (both refurb'd).  You're positive the latter is the better option (keeping in mind the "PC Guy" in me wants as much memory as possible)?

thanks,
Dave

Unless you are planning on making the ipad pro your main photo taking device (don't) or loading up tons of movies or music, I would take the faster processor over increased storage.  64GB will go a long ways.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 11:44:16 AM »

I've had a iPad Pro 12.9 (2nd gen) for about 6 months now. I bought it primarily for three purposes: to use with the dLive mixrack for setting up monitors and doing small, deskless gigs; Foreflight, which is a flight planning and management app; and as a backcountry car navigation system with locally stored maps. Some observations:

If you want the built-in GPS receiver (I did) you must get the cellular radio capability as well, but you're not forced to use it. It's just how the features are bundled. The GPS receiver performs well and has little trouble working inside vehicles.

I had trouble finding a suitable case. I ended up with a "Survivor" case intended for a 1st gen 12.9 and hacked out the screen protector and cut two holes to expose the ambient light sensors which had moved between versions. I presume more suitable cases have become available.

My old eyes and fat fingers love the large screen.

Without having done a formal test, battery life appears to be much longer than my other iThingies. Phantom discharge (when off) is pretty slow, too.

WIFI and Bluetooth radios are solid.

Apple has still not solved the thermal management problem, which likely is exacerbated by the case. Leave in the sun for more than a few minutes and it WILL shut down. This really sucks for both sound and flying.

For use as car navigation system a good near normal line-of-sight mount is essential. For flying I'm fine with it in my lap but somehow for driving that just doesn't work. I'm still working on a solution.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 12:03:13 PM »

It's not RAM.  It's storage.  If you don't need the storage space, no reason to buy it.

DOH!  There I go again, evaluating from a PC perspective.

And, thanks @Frank for the clarification on GPS.  I'd noticed it was only mentioned on Cellular versions - now I know why.  Anyway, I've got a couple of Android phones that handle my mapping duties.

Thanks to all for the responses!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Art Nadelman

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 03:10:29 PM »

Apple has still not solved the thermal management problem, which likely is exacerbated by the case. Leave in the sun for more than a few minutes and it WILL shut down. This really sucks for both sound and flying.

I have solved that problem mixing here in the Florida sun.  I place a hand towel on whatever surface I'm mixing on, place 2 frozen bottles of water on it and then place the iPad directly on those.  The aluminum case of the iPad radiates the cool throughout the iPad.  I change the bottles out every 1-1/2 hours or so.  I run 4 hour gigs the first Sunday afternoon of every month at a tiki bar with my iPads, frozen bottles and a beautiful view of the water.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 04:19:11 PM »

Free ?? How much did 2 years of Apple Care cost you?  I am honestly curious-in 2 weeks that money would have been an expense with little benefit.  I'm not saying it's not a good move.  It is impressive that Apple marketing has people feeling good that there was a failure-so their investment paid off. :)
You buy insurance and if you don’t make a claim you get no benefit but you still do it. Apple Care is insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 04:22:13 PM »

So, there's only a $20 difference between the 128GB prior Generation version and the 64GB current one (both refurb'd).  You're positive the latter is the better option (keeping in mind the "PC Guy" in me wants as much memory as possible)?

thanks,
Dave

Memory in iPads is Disk in PCs

If you only load a dozen apps and a couple hundred songs, 32g will do.

You cannot change what in the PC world is memory. Newer has more.

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »

I bought a 9.x iPad Pro last winter. I wanted the fastest processor.

One drawback was that to increase the screen size they reduced the border resulting in fewer places to hold it.

Personally, Today, i would buy one of the new iPads instead of the pro since the new ones do the pencil thing too and have fast processors.

Of course, I use mine for many things so the giant screen model wasn’t something I want to haul around.

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 06:24:52 PM »

First time this happened to me I was mixing on an X32R. That’s when I learned to ALWAYS have a wired connection as backup.

Now I always carry an instant cold compress. The kind you squeeze until it pops inside and gets instantly cold. It cools the iPad very quickly and keeps you going. Only costs a few dollars and has a several year shelf life.
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 09:07:36 PM »

You buy insurance and if you don’t make a claim you get no benefit but you still do it. Apple Care is insurance.

And it appears as though rates may have been adjusted upwards since Jeff purchased his.  AppleCare was offered for my iPad Pro purchase at $99 - but, as to the accidental coverage:

Quote from: Apple as of 2018-06-10
Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling of your iPad, each subject to a $49 service fee plus applicable tax

I opted not to purchase AppleCare.  As I understand it, I'll have another opportunity when the iPad arrives and I create my Apple ID.  But, I'll probably pass then, too.

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Scott Helmke

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 10:38:19 PM »

My younger co-workers are fine with the iPad mini - I ended up just buying the regular iPad and it's totally fine with my middle-aged eyes. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 10:38:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.