ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Resistance is futile - iPad Pro advice?  (Read 4000 times)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Resistance is futile - iPad Pro advice?
« on: June 09, 2018, 03:26:38 PM »

O.K., I give up!  Looks as though I can no longer resist the Apple collective.  I'm researching an iPad Pro purchase to use for Live Audio applications (not anticipating getting hooked on any other usage) and would welcome advice from the group.  My leanings so far:

a) refurbished through Apple, as they replace the battery and case and provide a 1 year warranty (other refurbs I've seen only go out 90 days).

b) 12.9" model - easier on my old eyes and fat fingers.

c) 128GB or better

d) Wifi only

e) uncertain as to the merits of the newer (and more expensive) generation over the previous one.

Am I on the right path?  Any warnings or other suggestions that should be considered before taking the plunge?

thanks in advance,

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Resistance is futile - iPad Pro advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 03:45:41 PM »

Good luck, Dave.  {Mission, Impossible theme plays}

Apple Store refurb warranty can be augmented with AppleCare (read the terms first), IIRC.  My experience buying from Apple (for my union Local) is positive and I purchased my iPad2 (ancient, it is!) from Apple.

Size translates to weight, and while they can put a bigger battery inside a bigger case you also have a larger display to power.  Look a projected run times - I don't know if there is a difference but it's important enough that looking is a good thing.

As for versions of product - as iOS gets updated eventually Apple has to leave behind some older hardware which means some of your apps will stop updating or possible not work at all, especially if you update the target hardware's firmware.  FWIW it took some time before my iPad2 got to that point, maybe 5 years?  I only use it for audio applications, no games, music or video on it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Art Nadelman

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 03:46:12 PM »

a) refurbished through Apple, as they replace the battery and case and provide a 1 year warranty (other refurbs I've seen only go out 90 days).

c) 128GB or better

Refurb through the Apple store is definitely the way to go.  If you're just going to use it for live audio, though, no reason to go with 128GB.  64 GB of storage will be plenty for a small program.

Also, get the 2017 model, rather than the 2015 model.

They have the 2017 iPad for $239 with 32GB of storage if you REALLY want to save some money.

Art

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 04:34:12 PM »

b) 12.9" model - easier on my old eyes and fat fingers.

c) 128GB or better

d) Wifi only

I'll warn you that the Apple Ecosystem is addicting!  I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means but their products work very well for my needs (high reliability, no "forced updates", etc.).  I bought my iPad specifically for my A&H Qu-Pac, but last year finally pushed all my business laptops to 2017 Macbook Pros and love it. 

What you spec'd above is exactly what I have, though it's a generation 1 that I bought new.  Before buying I compared it against the 9" model and for digital mixing it was too small for me to be comfortable with.  The 12.9" model is the way to go if you plan to really work on it.  I'd suggest stopping in at your local Apple Store (if there's one around, otherwise Best Buy will do) and have a look.  They're not cheap but 100% worth it, to me at least.  While I don't use the full 128GB, 32 is too little (and I travel light), and at least when I was in the market a 64GB model wasn't available. 

One thing I highly suggest is getting the AppleCare+.  Mine just paid for itself yesterday in fact!  While nothing "broke" per say, one corner of the touchscreen wouldn't always respond as expected.  If my iPad was only a plaything it'd be a nuisance, but for live sound or lighting an unexpected "press" can have grave consequences!  With about 2 weeks left on my 2 year AppleCare+ warranty I took the unit in for evaluation and while nothing appeared to be wrong, Apple is going to replace the entire iPad for me.  Granted it'll be a "like new" unit as opposed to a packaged unit off the shelf, but for 100% free I'll take it! 

Good luck!  You'll really enjoy it!   

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 04:53:31 PM »

I have owned 4 iPads starting with gen2. Currently I use an iPad air for lights and iPad pro 9.7" for sound.
Last time I checked, the iPad pro is a much faster processor than the others - even the 5th gen version. I can tell when I compare things like lighting software. The hit on the software button is almost instantaneous with the iPad pro - not so with the others. Even the iPad air has a slight lag. Might not matter too much using mixing software but navigating around on it for other stuff is much faster too.
The screen although not much bigger than my old one, feels bigger overall - makes a difference and the screen resolution is nice and clear so you might be surprised just how well you can 'fat finger' your way around it - LOL.

edit: correction. Mine is the 10.5" with the 10x processor (makes more sense-LOL)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:37:16 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 05:48:31 PM »

With about 2 weeks left on my 2 year AppleCare+ warranty I took the unit in for evaluation and while nothing appeared to be wrong, Apple is going to replace the entire iPad for me.  Granted it'll be a "like new" unit as opposed to a packaged unit off the shelf, but for 100% free I'll take it! 

Good luck!  You'll really enjoy it!

Free ?? How much did 2 years of Apple Care cost you?  I am honestly curious-in 2 weeks that money would have been an expense with little benefit.  I'm not saying it's not a good move.  It is impressive that Apple marketing has people feeling good that there was a failure-so their investment paid off. :)
Steve Swaffer

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 07:47:57 PM »

Free ?? How much did 2 years of Apple Care cost you?  I am honestly curious-in 2 weeks that money would have been an expense with little benefit.  I'm not saying it's not a good move.  It is impressive that Apple marketing has people feeling good that there was a failure-so their investment paid off. :)

Yes, free - the repair invoice actually says $0.00.  I believe the 2yr AppleCare+ product cost me $99, so in essence I got a new iPad Pro for $99 if we consider a glitchy touchscreen to render it useless.  I'm usually not a big supporter of the extended warranty plans when purchasing electronics, but AppleCare+ is an exception to me.  What's more is that AppleCare+ also covers accidental damage.  While such repairs usually aren't 100% free (and there's a limit to how many claims you can make), I don't want to end up paying $599 for a new screen just because of a trip or slip, which is what I would have paid yesterday had it not been for AppleCare+.  Given that we use our products in the field around heavy equipment and clumsy people there's a finite possibility an accident will happen, so that $99 is money well spent if a drunk patron spills beer into it. 

I'm not sure just how far accidental coverage goes though nor do I care to find out.  I crew member of mine had his iPad destroyed a few years ago when a low-breaking firework shell melted the screen.  I never found out if Apple honored this as "accidental damage", but I would have liked to hear the story he told!

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 08:01:48 PM »

Refurb through the Apple store is definitely the way to go.  If you're just going to use it for live audio, though, no reason to go with 128GB.  64 GB of storage will be plenty for a small program.

Also, get the 2017 model, rather than the 2015 model.

So, there's only a $20 difference between the 128GB prior Generation version and the 64GB current one (both refurb'd).  You're positive the latter is the better option (keeping in mind the "PC Guy" in me wants as much memory as possible)?

thanks,
Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 02:02:33 AM »

I'd been Apple-free until 2015, when I got an iPad for drone use.  Since then, I've picked up all sizes and GB for more applications, including camera remote control and audio.  I agree that the 128GB is not needed.  In most cases, I can record multiple tracks from an entire live gig (using Auria) with the 64GB.  I do like the speed (& size) of the larger iPad Pro.
Colorado Springs, CO

Art Nadelman

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 08:15:18 AM »

So, there's only a $20 difference between the 128GB prior Generation version and the 64GB current one (both refurb'd).  You're positive the latter is the better option (keeping in mind the "PC Guy" in me wants as much memory as possible)?

It's not RAM.  It's storage.  If you don't need the storage space, no reason to buy it.  Now...  if you want to put other programs on it, run music on iTunes and store you music on it, then absolutely, buy more storage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 08:15:18 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.