ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear canceling subwoofer  (Read 5093 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Rear canceling subwoofer
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 12:13:20 PM »

With two subs, two amp channels, and  two channels of processing you can run a cardioid or end-fire array and reduce level behind the subs, though backed into a corner that approach is useless.

Art
That is a very often overlooked/misunderstood issue with directional subs.

They need area behind them to work.

I often see "directional subs" that are placed a couple of feet from a wall.

That destroys anything the array is meant to accomplish, and makes the overall sound worse.

But-sadly-many people do directional arrays just to be "different or cool", so they can talk to their friends as if they actually knew what is going on------.

They understand the "marketing concept" behind the idea, but don't understand the workings.

And the "workings" is what is important to understand whether or not you should do it, or just face them all forward.

The ONLY times I do directional subs is when the directivity is more important than the sound quality.

You don't get both.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 05:09:26 PM »

I'm currently a wedding and school dance DJ, and usually set up in a corner, right behind the sound system. The bass from the 2) TH118's usually beats the crap out of me when the dance gets going.

The easy solution here is to simply set yourself up somewhere else like off to the side of the speaker stack, you probably wouldn't have to move too far away to get yourself into a bass null or at least out of the power alley where bass is the heaviest.

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 01:17:49 PM »

Not a resolution per se but if you are not using a personal monitor consider setting one up. It will make the sound at your booth more balanced & tolerable, rather than just the muffled bass hitting you. I have subs set up right in front of the DJ table often and doing this makes it much more enjoyable for me, even if I don't need the monitor for beat mixing.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 05:10:27 PM »

Yes, it's magic ;^).

https://soundforums.net/community/threads/cardioid-using-aperiodic-ports-a-la-fulcrum-acoustics.207180/

The position of the ports and the acoustical resistance of some "stuff" act like a second order LP phase shift in addition to the port's "phase inversion"...

The little Fulcrum line array using the passive cardioid is really cool too- it would take a huge horn to get that kind of a pattern.

Art

Thank you Art, 
magic indeed  ;)

Your link was spot on.
You know, it almost seems like what he is doing with passive cardioid, is really old school stuff revisited.
I mean it's just a different port placement/structure, right ?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 11:47:33 AM »

Thank you Art, 
magic indeed  ;)

Your link was spot on.
You know, it almost seems like what he is doing with passive cardioid, is really old school stuff revisited.
I mean it's just a different port placement/structure, right ?
More than just placement, -the devil is in those "structural" details.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 11:47:33 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.