ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clear acrylic security covers  (Read 4940 times)

Ian Borg

• Wavefront Electroacoustic Technology
Clear acrylic security covers
« on: June 08, 2018, 12:21:36 PM »

Whatever happened to plain. cheap clear plastic 1 or 2u security covers for rack equipment? I used to install these all the time 20 years ago or so, they were easy to get, cheap, and kept well meaning but unqualified hands off the equipment settings.
Now all I can find are steel or steel and Plexiglas covers that are too expensive. Does anyone know where I can order the all-Plexiglas U-shaped covers of old? They should be 10.00 each or less...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Clear acrylic security covers
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 01:32:42 PM »

This is the least expensive alternative I can find from a  quick search. I remember seeing lots of the plexiglass ones around years ago too.
rack cover{/url]
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ian Borg

• Wavefront Electroacoustic Technology
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 11:00:56 AM »

This is the least expensive alternative I can find from a  quick search. I remember seeing lots of the plexiglass ones around years ago too.
rack cover{/url]

Thanks Debbie, but these are standard vent panels.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 01:19:34 PM »

Ha ha- sorry, my search criteria was probably too vague and I didn't look closely enough at the picture.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 07:10:23 PM »

Navigating and finding anything on the Middle Atlantic website is an exercise in futility. But I did find this:

https://www.middleatlantic.com/products/accessories/security-options/hinged-security-covers/secl-2.aspx

I don't know whether they make any other sizes I'll leave that up to you to find. ;D

I also see that if you Google "rack mount security covers" there may be other sources.

-Hal
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 07:14:18 PM by Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC »

Lee Douglas

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »

This might be a better option:  https://www.middleatlantic.com/products/accessories/security-options/fixed-security-covers/sl-1.aspx
Not the vacuum formed plexi cover you're describing, but functionally the same.  Sweetwater has them starting around $32.00
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 02:31:59 PM »

This might be a better option:  https://www.middleatlantic.com/products/accessories/security-options/fixed-security-covers/sl-1.aspx
Not the vacuum formed plexi cover you're describing, but functionally the same.  Sweetwater has them starting around $32.00

This is the style of cover I thought I had linked to in my earlier post.

MikeHarris

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 04:23:58 AM »

dang..i shoulda never thrown out those UREI 527 security covers

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:50:19 AM »

Navigating and finding anything on the Middle Atlantic website is an exercise in futility. But I did find this:

https://www.middleatlantic.com/products/accessories/security-options/hinged-security-covers/secl-2.aspx

I don't know whether they make any other sizes I'll leave that up to you to find. ;D

I also see that if you Google "rack mount security covers" there may be other sources.

-Hal

As much as I like Middle Atlantic, I share your feelings about their site. Major PITA. Also, their pricing structure is goofy. Some stuff is priced a lot lower than you think it would be, while other stuff (like the product you linked to) is absurdly high considering what it is.

I'll be watching this thread as I kind of miss those old plastic covers too. They kept hands out while letting you easily view meters, etc.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 12:02:19 PM »

Whatever happened to plain. cheap clear plastic 1 or 2u security covers for rack equipment? I used to install these all the time 20 years ago or so, they were easy to get, cheap, and kept well meaning but unqualified hands off the equipment settings.
Now all I can find are steel or steel and Plexiglas covers that are too expensive. Does anyone know where I can order the all-Plexiglas U-shaped covers of old? They should be 10.00 each or less...

Is there a "maker space" facility near you?  They tend to have the machines that most of us don't, including plastics forming, CNC machining, etc.  If such a place is in your area I'd suggest talking to the plastics shop head person and see if he or she can form up what you need.  You might consider joining the maker space to have access to their training and facilities, too.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 12:02:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.