ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: diy parabolic reflector for wedding vow mic  (Read 5818 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: diy parabolic reflector for wedding vow mic
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 11:37:43 PM »

BTW, finally spoke with the bride to be. If I can get even a little sound then it will be a bonus as long as there is nothing visible in the pictures, but she is also OK if I can't get any sound re-enforcement for the vows.

I'm sure the people in attendance won't have any problem without sound re-enforcement either!!!!!
If your putting up speakers even off to the far sides out of any camera shots people will expect sound to come out of them.

Tell them to pony up and pay to have it done right or don't attempt to do anything at all other then to tell them to talk loud.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 11:56:19 PM »

If you were going to DIY a parabolic and put it in the roof, you could much more easily out this mic on a piece of plywood up there too.

I've used them on desks, podiums, walls, piano lids, etc. PZM mics are fantastic tools in the toolbox.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 11:59:41 PM »

FWIW, if the officiant has a book of some sort from which she or he reads, it pretty easy to tuck a wireless lav mic sticking out the end closest to the bride and groom.  That gives all three participants a pretty decent mic position with minimal visual intrusion.  The natural motion of slightly raising the book when reading from it, and lowering it when the bride or groom says something sometimes even helps with mic positioning.

Something for the future, maybe.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »

We actually own a hollowed out book that we put a lav pack into then have a little spot to clip a mic to so it faces the bride and groom.  officiant holds said leather bound book. 

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 02:57:05 PM »

We actually own a hollowed out book that we put a lav pack into then have a little spot to clip a mic to so it faces the bride and groom.  officiant holds said leather bound book.

This approach has worked really well for us.  Coach the officiant a bit - they are a human mic stand.  If they can get a bit closer to each speaker during vows it helps.  Take a moment to ring out the mic and improve your gain-before-feedback.

Have not tried the boundary-mic approach.... let us know how it goes!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 04:43:30 PM »

Having "helped" at a few weddings I was playing at try putting the speakers further downstage.  People in the front couple of rows will be able to hear the ceremony without reinforcement.  Having the speakers further back allows more GBF and helps folks further back hear.  It won't be a big presentation like everyone mic'd up but it will help.
I once put a couple SDCs on a stand in front of the couple and covered it all with sprigs of lavender.  Couple of Sx80s off to either side of the audience and everyone was happy.  They wanted some sort of PA help but weren't going whole hog with a provider.  Smaller ceremony.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 07:44:47 PM »

My findings with ceremonies is that the people could honestly care less if it is loud. They can't see the mic's and usually can't see the speakers either. So they have little to no expectation of volume. If they can hear the officiant at all, they are happy. Most of the reason for mic'ing these days is for the recordings done by the video guys. If there is a speech / spoken word people often want to hear it, but as to the vows and the repeats made by the bride and groom, people have a reasonable assumption that they are not mic'd and probably won't really be heard. My experience anyway. That and nobody is going to pipe up during the ceremony to tell you to turn things up. It just kinda is what it is.

The big reason I don't like mic'ing the bride and groom is because they are often running off immediately to get pictures taken, and you usually have to chase them down to get the mics back. The next big reason is that, because you almost never mic the bride, you can never get them at equal levels or quality of sound out of the PA when they say their vows and all. It is just a fruitless endeavor.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 08:28:56 PM »

The seller was able to give me 2 day shipping. Mic should be delivered tomorrow. Won't have any time to play with it before I go to the rehearsal on Friday. Not sure how I am going to mount it to a piece of plywood either. Possibly velcro if I have any adhesive back on hand that is still usable.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »

They have some mounting screw holes on the back,  However you want to be sure it is mounted well because of liability and placing items over peoples heads.  Recommend you also have a safety wire to catch in the possible case the plywood works its way loose and tries to fall the safety wire will help to also prevent a personal injury.

David Allred

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 09:30:42 AM »

All kinds of funny visuals with this as the officiate subconsciously aims and extends the mic with his pelvis and goes tippy-toes. ;D For some reason I am imagining Michael Scott as the officiate.  ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 09:30:42 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.