ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: diy parabolic reflector for wedding vow mic  (Read 5819 times)

Steve Loewenthal

Re: diy parabolic reflector for wedding vow mic
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 07:00:15 PM »

Found a laser and did a better test. Not a parabola. The focus point changed as I moved the laser farther from and closer to the center. I'll still try it just for fun, but now expect even less.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 07:07:20 PM »

Steve, consider concealing a lav mic & pack on the kneeler, if they use one.  Another participant here in the Lounge suggests trying to clip a lav to the officiant's "binder" that holds the text and vows as he/she is likely to be holding it pointed in the general direction of the couple.  Conceal the body pack inside the binder.

The idea that we are simply expected to make this work and for it all to be invisible is one of the reasons I dislike doing weddings.  There are plenty of ways to "fix" these problems, all of them from musical theater, but brides and mom-zilla seem to have objections to all of them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »

BTW, finally spoke with the bride to be. If I can get even a little sound then it will be a bonus as long as there is nothing visible in the pictures, but she is also OK if I can't get any sound re-enforcement for the vows.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 07:17:36 PM »

Another participant here in the Lounge suggests trying to clip a lav to the officiant's "binder" that holds the text and vows as he/she is likely to be holding it pointed in the general direction of the couple.  Conceal the body pack inside the binder.

Like...  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 07:31:42 PM »

Steve, consider concealing a lav mic & pack on the kneeler, if they use one.  Another participant here in the Lounge suggests trying to clip a lav to the officiant's "binder" that holds the text and vows as he/she is likely to be holding it pointed in the general direction of the couple.  Conceal the body pack inside the binder.

The idea that we are simply expected to make this work and for it all to be invisible is one of the reasons I dislike doing weddings.  There are plenty of ways to "fix" these problems, all of them from musical theater, but brides and mom-zilla seem to have objections to all of them.

As I stated in the 1st post, I don't have a lav mic and don't intend to purchase one.
I'm not a sound provider. (Not really even a DJ.) I'm the guy in the band with the PA.
As long as I have this stuff, I'll do maybe 2 DJ gigs a year, and of these, the weddings are maybe 1 every 2 years. This is probably my 10th wedding. (Its all been "you did the wedding for my friend and they recommended you", so I must be doing something that they like.) I never really needed a lav mic.
Now when I eventually quit my day job, IF I start doing more of this, then, perhaps, I'll get more than just the equipment I need for the band.

I do have an old wireless headset mic that is omni, but I don't think the headset part is detachable from the mic. Haven't used it since the late 90's maybe early 2000's.

As to renting anything, I don't think I want to try to deal with that. I'd have to take time off from my regular day job pick up some thing during normal business hours a couple days ahead of time, then more time off to return it the next week.
Steve Loewenthal

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 08:11:17 PM »

As I stated in the 1st post, I don't have a lav mic and don't intend to purchase one.
I'm not a sound provider. (Not really even a DJ.) I'm the guy in the band with the PA.
As long as I have this stuff, I'll do maybe 2 DJ gigs a year, and of these, the weddings are maybe 1 every 2 years. This is probably my 10th wedding. (Its all been "you did the wedding for my friend and they recommended you", so I must be doing something that they like.) I never really needed a lav mic.
Now when I eventually quit my day job, IF I start doing more of this, then, perhaps, I'll get more than just the equipment I need for the band.

I do have an old wireless headset mic that is omni, but I don't think the headset part is detachable from the mic. Haven't used it since the late 90's maybe early 2000's.

As to renting anything, I don't think I want to try to deal with that. I'd have to take time off from my regular day job pick up some thing during normal business hours a couple days ahead of time, then more time off to return it the next week.

Ooops, somehow I missed the part about your not having inventory.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 08:29:11 PM »

I'll just leave this here...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-U891RC-UniPoint-Condenser-Boundary-Microphone-SKU-1000286/253674853902?hash=item3b1033160e:g:ueYAAOSwxllbGRiV

Hiding one of these close to the action is a lot easier and you'll get a much better result. Plus you can use this for live sound if you get creative. Boundary mics work great on a kick with no hole in it, for instance. I have gotten some awesome results using a SM91 and 2 overheads on a "drummer you've heard of" and I even got compliments from the crowd on how it sounded.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 09:29:23 PM »

I'll just leave this here...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-U891RC-UniPoint-Condenser-Boundary-Microphone-SKU-1000286/253674853902?hash=item3b1033160e:g:ueYAAOSwxllbGRiV

Hiding one of these close to the action is a lot easier and you'll get a much better result. Plus you can use this for live sound if you get creative. Boundary mics work great on a kick with no hole in it, for instance. I have gotten some awesome results using a SM91 and 2 overheads on a "drummer you've heard of" and I even got compliments from the crowd on how it sounded.

Even though I don't need a lav mic for the band, I still have a small but manageable problem with GAS.
(Although we now use electric drums so a kick mic is also no longer needed.)

So, hypothetically speaking, if I were to purchase the Audio-Technica U891RC in that link, Please rate in order of best result to worst the following 3 locations: 1) above the couple just below the rafters of the shelter 2) on the floor near the couple 3) on a vertical post of the shelter opposite side of the post from the audience, as close to mouth height of the bride as she will allow.

Also, hypothetically speaking of course, if it were mounted in the rafter, just how much better than a 57 in the same location would it be?
Steve Loewenthal

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 10:27:08 PM »

That GAS is a persistent thing. So I placed the order even though it said delivery by 6/16. I sent a message to the seller asking if I could pay a small fee to increase my chances of getting it by 6/15. Got back an out of office auto reply.
So now that I placed the order, looks like the questions in my previous is still most likely going to stay in the hypothetical. :(
Steve Loewenthal

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 11:09:33 PM »

Even though I don't need a lav mic for the band, I still have a small but manageable problem with GAS.
(Although we now use electric drums so a kick mic is also no longer needed.)

So, hypothetically speaking, if I were to purchase the Audio-Technica U891RC in that link, Please rate in order of best result to worst the following 3 locations: 1) above the couple just below the rafters of the shelter 2) on the floor near the couple 3) on a vertical post of the shelter opposite side of the post from the audience, as close to mouth height of the bride as she will allow.

Also, hypothetically speaking of course, if it were mounted in the rafter, just how much better than a 57 in the same location would it be?

I have not used that particular A-T mic, but I have 5 Crown PCC 160 boundary mics that I use mostly for Irish hard shoe dance (or tap shoes).  As the name implies, they work when placed on a boundary surface like a floor or conference table. Hanging in free space is the worst possible option. The floor is the best of your three options.  The wider the post/pillar the better, otherwise it's essentially in free space.

Boundary mics (also known as PZM, or pressure zone mics) are sometimes used in theater for speaking or singing. If you are on a concrete floor, you shouldn't have to worry about floor resonance from foot traffic. How well it works if there is a giant wedding dress present is an open question.  Let us know how it works for you.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 11:09:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.