ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aren't you glad this isn't your job?  (Read 4906 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Aren't you glad this isn't your job?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 09:49:51 PM »

Great idea apart from 2 minor problems. First, the column is almost 170' tall so it would need a major pump to get the water up that high and second, you would need about a ton of hose and electrical cable to get to that height - factor in the weight of 170' of water inside the hose and you have a huge mount of weight up aloft that would need to be supported. It was steam cleaned in 2006 but that cost about 2/3 Million dollars and needed a huge scaffold tow to be erected. Much simpler (and cheaper) with a spoon and bucket especially if it keeps someone in work! ;) (The amazing thing is that numerous people have climbed the column without the aid of the scaffolding including several base jumpers. Idiots!)

Not really suggesting running 1700' of hose. More to the point I'm suggesting that with todays technology there are much better ways to clean the shit than by using a spoon and bucket. But of course it's England and the old ways are still the best ways. Is there an apprenticeship for this type of work over there??
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 11:31:20 PM »

I've erected plenty of 50-100-150 foot towers in my HAM heyday.

I used to sell tower.  That's as close as I wanted to get.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 11:53:32 PM »

I've erected plenty of 50-100-150 foot towers in my HAM heyday. It became apparent to many people that I always worked as much as possible on the structure side of the tower, the side close to the building or house. There was a reason for that. If I fell I was hoping to hit the roof and not the ground.

Do you think the roof would cushion your fall?  Knowing you you put up Rohn-55 at your house but the twist of 25 always scared the crap out of me.

For some reason this reminds me.  I was at a buddies house and this guy was probably north of 350 pounds and we were running wire in his attic.  He slipped, went through the sheetrock ceiling, landed on the waterbed (it didn't break) but the base exploded in spectacular fashion.  Wish they had camera phones back then.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

TrevorMilburn

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 05:28:39 AM »

Is there an apprenticeship for this type of work over there??
Yes, there is. Third year you graduate to a spoon, second year you graduate to your finger nails...and don't ask about the first year - you wouldn't want to know! ;D ;D

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »

I'm suggesting that with todays technology there are much better ways to clean the shit than by using a spoon and bucket.

I'm sure there are - but this was mid 1970s.

Steve.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 06:58:49 PM »

Somebody builds these towers. A lot more serious risk than scooping poo or changing a bulb.
A guy with a power washer drone and an umbrella could make a lot of money.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 11:02:03 PM »

Somebody builds these towers. A lot more serious risk than scooping poo or changing a bulb.
A guy with a power washer drone and an umbrella could make a lot of money.

The only thing more intense than building a tower is moving the top antenna or taking the tower down a section at a time.  Watch the vids about "jumping" the gin pole...

I went down the Youtube rabbit hole watching tower work and I don't miss a second of it.  Two-ish years of part time tower work was enough for a lifetime.  Relamping a top beacon on a cable TV tower at night.  In the rain.  Lift line for the first 500 feet then 200 feet of manual climbing.  Did I mention "in the rain"?

I drove past that tower a couple years ago, it's 300 feet shorter and looks like a cellphone antenna porcupine.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 07:05:14 PM »

I wouldn't build over 100', and not over 50' with Rohn tower section. You're absolutely right topping towers is scary. Most of the antenna's I put up had a main boom of 30-50', and elements 25-40' long. You can build in sections up top, or you build on the ground and swing the antenna over the guy wires while you jerk it up with a gin pole. Either way can kill you.

I still have the gin pole and my harnesses. If someone wants the gin pole I'll dig it out and they can have it. I'm done climbing anything higher than my own roof, and I'll keep the harness because I may need it if/as I grow older.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 07:21:28 PM »

I still have the gin pole and my harnesses. If someone wants the gin pole I'll dig it out and they can have it. I'm done climbing anything higher than my own roof, and I'll keep the harness because I may need it if/as I grow older.

You should be proud your harness still fits.

When I look back that I climbed with a simple belt with a butt strap, center D rings with a big hook and a lifeline I shake my head.

Chest harnesses and fall guards (the metal cable run next to the climbing pegs or ladder that you clip a rate limited brake into) have really changed the business.

We had 200' of Rohn 85 at the paging company office.  It was a beefy tower but short guyed with caissons to keep the parking lot clear.  We had two sections of Rohn 45 at the top to give us 5 top mounting locations.  We used 72Mhz links to control the paging stations.

Anyway,  my g/f and I would go up 100' after work, marvel at the view and smoke a fat one.  Those were the days.  Young and dumb.

I am sure I have some pics riding the elevator to the 1400' platform at Christmas Florida.  We had rented space on that tower and had a 5 channel Johnson 800Mhz SMR system in outdoor cabinets.  With no feedline loss and low noise level on the RX side that bitch would reach out and touch someone.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »

The steeplejack, fred Dibnah, who I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I don't think many of us would be happy climbing that bit of ladder overhanging the top of a chimney...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3-YwDZrzg

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.