ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cargo trailer - keeping tongue weight manageable  (Read 5680 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Cargo trailer - keeping tongue weight manageable
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2019, 01:03:14 PM »

Here's a short video.  Nice example, but no proper explanation.

tank slapper
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 07:57:13 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2019, 12:59:29 PM »

What would the proper term be to describe humans that have issues with systems that do not exhibit decent damping?

The world is replete with examples, my favorite is my wife and thermostats.  Setting the target temp and waiting for the system to cool or heat to the desired temp doesn't seem to work for her.  I have asked her if she thinks that the system has different output levels based on the delta between the current and desired temps?  This happens in the care to but thankfully there is a thermostat on both sides!

Which oscillations are typically addressed by a Proportional Integral Derivative  Or PID loop.  Perhaps PID challenged?
Steve Swaffer

Bob Stone

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2019, 01:16:30 PM »

What would the proper term be to describe humans that have issues with systems that do not exhibit decent damping?

The world is replete with examples, my favorite is my wife and thermostats.  Setting the target temp and waiting for the system to cool or heat to the desired temp doesn't seem to work for her.  I have asked her if she thinks that the system has different output levels based on the delta between the current and desired temps?  This happens in the care to but thankfully there is a thermostat on both sides!

My system does....variable speed blower with modulating gas valve (not just 2 stage) in the furnace. The higher the delta, the more it ramps up. So it's not the worst assumption :)

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2019, 01:33:32 PM »

Dual rear wheels provide lots more stability and I have never gotten sway. According to a friend that pulled 40 foot cattle trailers if a rear tire on a dually goes flat it still remains stable when pulling a trailer. Ford makes dual rear wheel vans. You can also get dual rear wheel conversion kits for trucks, vans and Suburbans. I have own single rear wheel trucks and dual rear wheel trucks.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2019, 02:04:17 PM »

Which oscillations are typically addressed by a Proportional Integral Derivative  Or PID loop.  Perhaps PID challenged?

Ha! Or just D challenged, as that's the part that provides the damping in an (approximately) linear servo. Building thermostats (except for Bob's) are usually bang-bang controllers, so that's a little bit different story, of course. My old (electromechanical)  house thermostat includes a little heating element next to the temp sensor that serves as an "anticipator", presumably to reduce overshoot.

I have this superstition that car "climate controls", since they suck at actually controlling the perceived temperature, are programmed to sense your intent. If I bump the, otherwise meaningless, temperature control up or down by 1 deg F the fan speed immediately changes in response. Whatever it takes to make the customer feel it's doing something.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2019, 02:04:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.