ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you use to carry mic and speaker cables?  (Read 11354 times)

Eric du Toit

Re: What do you use to carry mic and speaker cables?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2018, 12:05:12 AM »

For my purposes, the generic Husky red and black tool bags at Home Depot work well for mic, speaker, and power cables.  Fairly rugged too.

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2018, 09:58:54 AM »

Moving from old iron and a little downsizing left me with a number of empty 8 space amp racks.  I bolted one cover on and added a caster plate, then hinged the other cover.    They have worked out great as cable trunks.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »

No argument from me that proper trunks are the right thing for mid- to large-scale professional use. If, however, you want polyethylene totes, for whatever purpose, sound related or not, the ones you want are called "round-trip totes". They are used in logistics for transporting merchandise from distribution centers to stores, in which case they are stacked several deep and palatized. They are called round-trip because they are used over and over. They have lids, nest fairly efficiently when empty, and run about $12-25 each depending on size, source, and quantity. They come in many sizes and colors. You will not find them at Walmart.

--Frank

Same here. I get these from Uline or Global Industrial.

https://www.uline.com/BL_312/Round-Trip-Totes

On multi-day gigs I usually stack them in one of these for transport, which also gives me a secure lockup at the gig to keep stuff from wandering off.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/trucks-carts/security-cage/fold-up-security-truck-44-1-2-w-x-27-d-x-76-h-2000-lb-capacity-2
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2018, 02:24:28 PM »

Cheap but strong are the black totes with yellow lids for Speakon and AC cables.  Available at many places like Lowes and Costco.  They "lock" when stacked so you can put them on a dolly and roll.

I to used Rubbemaid Rough Totes for many years for mic cables.

Now I've switched over to an assortment of Pelican cases or their SKB counterpart. Mainly 1620 Pelicans, but I have a few 1510 for small gigs.  Sometimes I don't have the luxury of rolling gear in on a flat dolly, so the Pelicans with their own retractable handles and two wheels are handy.  They do stack fine if the same model, so it is possible to roll multiple units in on a flat dolly.

Strong and lockable too. Look more professional as well.

Best regards,

John

Lyle Williams

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2018, 06:29:00 PM »

Inside I put cables into thrift-shop pillowcases.

Well, some of the pillowcases aren't from thrift-shops, but the general idea is to get many many different colours so that cables can be kept sorted and untangled but still found easily.

The cable type/length gets written on the outside of the pillowcase in big sharpie letters.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2018, 03:35:21 PM »

It's called a lug rack.

... but it's like a food service rack where the cafeteria pans, baking pans and trays slide in, except the racks are spaced for plastic bins. 
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 04:01:12 PM »

;D

I've had a hard time giving up the rubbermaid rough totes for basic cable and gack because of their light weight and ability to "flex" into tight spots in the small vans.  I wish they looked more professional.

But larger road cases on wheels are absolutely the way to go in real trucks. 
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 08:34:01 PM »

I'm either a hired gun or doing the dry-hire myself, not a gear owner. My preference is a wheeled trunk and ideally the mics and DIs in a latched briefcase that can also fit into the trunk. If the gig is small enough and there are enough things with wheels, a trunk w/o wheels can work. Around here, the cheapo version is to use the trays bread gets delivered in, similar to gallon jugs of milk crates in the US. The cheapo version is annoying.

One major aspect of trunks which I prefer is that rack lids and whatnot have a chance to be packed away to be safe and quickly reachable at the gig.

One in-house hotel AV company I worked for tended to use ridiculous folding carts to stack everything on because they did not have the storage space for a proper trunk

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2018, 06:26:16 AM »

My preference is a wheeled trunk and ideally the mics and DIs in a latched briefcase that can also fit into the trunk.
One major aspect of trunks which I prefer is that rack lids and whatnot have a chance to be packed away to be safe and quickly reachable at the gig.
This.
Just try to standarize your cases and sets. Grab one of your cabletrunks, and you know you have everything you need for a normal gig. If you mix and match your sets on a per event basis you will make a mistake which you wont realize until too late. It also saves a lot of time. I hate it when a provider brings just enough cables and/or mics, so i have to compromize on things. I also hate having to go through 30 different boxes to find that one cable i need. It's part of the business to be prepared. A few cables more won't break the bank, or your back. KISS all the way.

On the subject of cost: when i look at my cased equipment the cost of the cases is about 1/8 to 1/10 of the equipment's, much of which i will recover when selling the stuff, because it is in excellent shape.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 06:34:22 AM by Geert Friedhof »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2018, 05:08:16 PM »

Airplane carry on luggage works for me.

Heads-up...you will need to change your display name to your real name (as per forum rules) to be able to participate in this forum  .... thanks and welcome.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2018, 05:08:16 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.