ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you use to carry mic and speaker cables?  (Read 11345 times)

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
Re: What do you use to carry mic and speaker cables?
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 11:00:49 PM »

I have 2 x Pelican 20" square cases on wheels and I LOVE them. I use one for cables and the other for power cables, mics and a few small items that I don't want to go missing.

They sure look nice!  That's what one other local guy uses (but no wheels) - he's got 5.  That's more than I paid for my first Toyota!  :D
Maybe I'm just a cheapskate.
Colorado Springs, CO

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 11:20:04 PM »

They sure look nice!  That's what one other local guy uses (but no wheels) - he's got 5.  That's more than I paid for my first Toyota!  :D
Maybe I'm just a cheapskate.
They are great!!....I have an SKB one like them too (on wheels) and sometimes I switch them out. There is a tiny bit more room in the pelicans.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 11:20:35 PM »

and
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 11:55:24 PM »

I usually use union stage hands to carry our mic and speaker cables from our shop to the stage.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 09:38:37 AM »

I'm suspect that you're looking for a low end / low cost answer and mine won't be that.  In the long run however you'll find that the cost of labor and time far exceeds the cost of equipment.  When you get there you'll find that standard sized road cases dimensioned to truck pack sizes ( three or four across depending on their orientation in the truck ) with internal dividers, labels and inventory lists ( twenty 50 ft XLRs here, ten 25ft NL4s here ) will save you money and aggravation.  Making that transition is a long process and lots of people bail out into less harrowing ways of making a living before that but if you're in it for the long haul thats a path.

Mal Brown

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 11:47:07 AM »

I use 6 stackable HDE plastic bins with interlocking tops @ about $10per unit from Home Depot.  I segregate std mic cables in one, longs and shorts in another and short drop snakes in a third.  Tape, notebooks, electrical gak (tester, flashlight, etc) in the forth.  Speaker cables in the last 2.  Forget, I added another for scaffold hardware as I added a couple of sets of Bakers on the truck.

3 per hand truck load, some have 5 or 6 years on them.

There’s a lot of ways to drop c-notes in this biz... cases s stuff has not gone above the investment line yet for me.  Besides, If I invested in a single for all this stuff, it would require new truck organization and it would be a 2 guy move.

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 01:04:15 PM »

I'm suspect that you're looking for a low end / low cost answer and mine won't be that.  In the long run however you'll find that the cost of labor and time far exceeds the cost of equipment.  When you get there you'll find that standard sized road cases dimensioned to truck pack sizes ( three or four across depending on their orientation in the truck ) with internal dividers, labels and inventory lists ( twenty 50 ft XLRs here, ten 25ft NL4s here ) will save you money and aggravation.  Making that transition is a long process and lots of people bail out into less harrowing ways of making a living before that but if you're in it for the long haul thats a path.

+1 here. When purchasing additional inventory, pricing of casing/transport needs to be figured into the cost.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 03:11:58 PM »

I finally made the switch to trunks for all of our cabling, and I'll never go back to plastic bins.

Aside from the cost, my reasoning for keeping the bins was around "scale" - if we were doing a smaller show and didn't need a bunch of 35-, 40-, and 50-foot XLRs, we didn't need to bring those bins. Or, if we were doing a gig with all powered gear, we didn't need to bring the two bins of NL4 cables. I *thought* this was the best way to do things.

Then we bought four of the Gator truck pack cases with dividers and trays... and wow. What an improvement.

I looked into the Audiopile (we have a bunch of their shockmount cases and love them) cases, but with shipping, they turned out to be about the same price as the Gators.

Four cable trunks replaced 16+ bins for us. It dramatically cut down on load-in and load-out time, as well as set-up/tear down. No chasing after bins that were scattered everywhere, no having to stack/hide dozens of bins during the show.

Simply put, everyone here at 608 is in love with our new cable trunks. I just ordered two more for our big feeder cables and other bits.

I did save a couple of bins for the really gravy jobs - we do sound for an outdoor volleyball league once a week. That bin has 2x 100' 10/3 cables, 2x 100' XLR cables, and an RCA-to-XLR adapter DI. Not worth hauling a trunk to that gig.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 03:46:32 PM »

No argument from me that proper trunks are the right thing for mid- to large-scale professional use. If, however, you want polyethylene totes, for whatever purpose, sound related or not, the ones you want are called "round-trip totes". They are used in logistics for transporting merchandise from distribution centers to stores, in which case they are stacked several deep and palatized. They are called round-trip because they are used over and over. They have lids, nest fairly efficiently when empty, and run about $12-25 each depending on size, source, and quantity. They come in many sizes and colors. You will not find them at Walmart.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 03:51:41 PM »

I use 6 stackable HDE plastic bins with interlocking tops @ about $10per unit from Home Depot. 

These?

I like them for storing random things around the shop but don't pass the "professional enough" test given that I can't stand on them...

If you must buy plastic bins from Home Depot I've had good luck with these.  They're strong enough to stand on (and thus avoid getting crushed in transit) but not overly expensive. I've also never had the bottom fall out unlike the cheaper storage totes you can get for $9 at any big box retailer. 

It just depends on what you need out of these. I'd never send a Stanley box on a tour - for that you want all your gear in "real" cases, often built to truck pack dimensions. For just local "casual" use the Stanley boxes are nice. I use them for toting around my arsenal of various effect lights that don't see enough use nor go far enough to warrant a dedicated proper road case (unlike my consoles, moving lights, cables, etc.).  I still personally think the Audiopile product is the best size/weight/price combination for any weekend warrior and light-duty professional, but what's "best" always depends on many various factors.  Good luck!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 03:51:41 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.