ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you use to carry mic and speaker cables?  (Read 11340 times)

Geert Friedhof

Re: What do you use to carry mic and speaker cables?
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 07:14:36 PM »

I only have/buy cases which i can stand on comfortably.

edit: typo corrected
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:21:22 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 08:05:55 PM »

The M040's are our single man case.  I admit the luggage wheels are not that useful.  It usually ends up riding on top of something else.

Unless a venue has a barrier to push in I have come to the realization that a single large road case is the way to go.  DI's and Mic's in a tray on top, cables, mic stands and polls on top.  Monitors ride the case in, mains ride on the subs.  That's three pushes and I am 100% in.  In places with steps I can sometimes use my ramp creatively.
I am another M040 user. It is a great balance between size and weight when full. They also pack nicely in my pickup bed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 08:45:59 PM »

I've been using Rubbermaid-style tubs for some years now, but would like to have something that is a little more road-worthy and maybe stackable. 

I've seen some SKB and Pelican cases that are nice, but I can't justify spending hundreds to replace something that already "works."
Here's what we use: You can see what you need, everything is separated and relatively organized. Caveat is that mics bang around on each other and do get scratched and scuffed. Mic cables are kept in the bottom two drawers. 50x 20 footers, 25x 10 footers, 10 or so 50 footers. 2nd caveat, no one is hauling this thing up stairs.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:50:45 PM by boburtz »

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 09:18:32 PM »

... there's plenty of threads about this if you do a quick search.

I actually searched for some time before posting.  Old threads with dead links, or, not quite what I was looking for.

Judging by the mostly helpful replies, I made my question pretty clear.  But I will try to drill down more.
I saw local sound guy who was using tubs that are similar to the Akro-Mills (seeing that brand reminds me of the old parts drawers I bought from Allied Electronics back in the day!).  He said he got them from WalMart, but a search through all 24 pages of totes on the WalMart side brought up nothing identical.

I own some of the Audiopile racks -- they have held up well, and I use them for my "old iron" amps.  That looks like a good way to go if I want to "spend once, cry once" standardize.

I see that road cases, as Scott patiently mentioned, can be more costly than the gear they protect.  The form-fit case for my Mackie DC16 is $400, which I just couldn't justify with my current income.  So for that, I built my own out of Tongue & Groove siding, but that's a light duty application.  I don't use that piece every time, like I do the mic, Speakon & IEC cables.

Please continue your responses, as I find it informative to see what everyone is using!
Colorado Springs, CO

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 09:39:30 PM »

Unless a venue has a barrier to push in I have come to the realization that a single large road case is the way to go. 

I used to have "everything" in 2 or 3 cases, but unfortunately, I am doing too many types of gigs now.  This may make me an anomaly here - I find it easier to have more specialized tubs.  I'm doing band video, video with orchestra micing, video & audio recording for opera; and PA, which can be everything from only 1 wired mic to two stages at once in the same resort. 

So, if I can get 8-10 or so cases, I can separate everything accordingly, and just grab the cases I need for the gig.

Colorado Springs, CO

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 09:58:10 PM »

I used to have "everything" in 2 or 3 cases, but unfortunately, I am doing too many types of gigs now.  This may make me an anomaly here - I find it easier to have more specialized tubs.  I'm doing band video, video with orchestra micing, video & audio recording for opera; and PA, which can be everything from only 1 wired mic to two stages at once in the same resort. 

So, if I can get 8-10 or so cases, I can separate everything accordingly, and just grab the cases I need for the gig.
We are packing for a show now, 23 cases FOH, Monitor world, Video, etc.  I was speaking more of how I relate the hard won experience back down to my roots of one man gigs.

Other than I pay someone now to move the stuff so I can socialize with my artist I still do 2 or 3 small club dates.  That is what I was speaking of that schlepping a bunch of the smaller cases isnmuxh more work. 

I count my trips to the box and back and forth on stage.  Anything I can do to me more efficient.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 10:04:48 PM »

I count my trips to the box and back and forth on stage.  Anything I can do to me more efficient.

I agree on the maximizing efficiency point.  I always thought that by my late 50s, I'd either be doing something different, or have a stable of young bodies willing to assist.  Neither of these things is going to happen! :|

It was really eye-opening for me when I did a time lapse video of a load-in/setup.  I looked like a chicken with it's head cut off  :)
Colorado Springs, CO

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 10:13:31 PM »

I agree on the maximizing efficiency point.  I always thought that by my late 50s, I'd either be doing something different, or have a stable of young bodies willing to assist.  Neither of these things is going to happen! :|

It was really eye-opening for me when I did a time lapse video of a load-in/setup.  I looked like a chicken with it's head cut off  :)
Lol, I would look like a giant weeble limping around.

I am in my mid 50's.  I was around the periphery of production from my childhood (school theater, stint as roadie, various HOW from little white church to mega, community theater, cover bands etc.) To now actually growing the production business in a soon to be profitable concern.

I take one of the kids with me they load in and out and get a chance at mixing and learning while making a few bucks.  Makes my night far more enjoyable.

Everyone has a different set of realities and in sharing our wins and failures hopefully we all gain something in the process.

Sorry if you didn't like my crack about amateur hour.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 10:16:21 PM »

What I'm thinking of is probably a U-line item as I'm pretty sure I've seen it in print... but it's like a food service rack where the cafeteria pans, baking pans and trays slide in, except the racks are spaced for plastic bins.  You could shelve your specialized bins in your storage space.  They're prepped and ready to load into the rack and roll it to the truck; you take only what you need.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 10:55:27 PM »

I have 2 x Pelican 20" square cases on wheels and I LOVE them. I use one for cables and the other for power cables, mics and a few small items that I don't want to go missing.
Because they have wheels, they are so easy to move around and they are one of my favorite pieces of gear. They are old and well beaten up but every latch still works. One or both of them often gets used at the back of the stage to place things on and they also are handy as equipment dollies when loading in and out too.

I also own the same case in the next size up but I don't use it very often as it doesn't fit in the minivan as well. I use it for larger /outdoor shows when we bring out the trailer.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 10:55:27 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.