ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you use to carry mic and speaker cables?  (Read 11353 times)

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
What do you use to carry mic and speaker cables?
« on: June 06, 2018, 04:59:13 PM »

I've been using Rubbermaid-style tubs for some years now, but would like to have something that is a little more road-worthy and maybe stackable. 

I've seen some SKB and Pelican cases that are nice, but I can't justify spending hundreds to replace something that already "works."

Colorado Springs, CO

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: What do you use to carry mic and speaker cables?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 05:05:59 PM »

I've been using Rubbermaid-style tubs for some years now, but would like to have something that is a little more road-worthy and maybe stackable. 

I've seen some SKB and Pelican cases that are nice, but I can't justify spending hundreds to replace something that already "works."
Then what are you asking?

Nothing screams amateur like plastic tubs.

Often casing cost more than the gear it contains.  That's part of the transportation cost.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 05:08:55 PM »

Hi Michael,

I use an assortment of cases from Audiopile for such purposes - mostly the M040-MT and M040-Tray (link).  They're a nice balance of size/weight/ruggedness/price, but Audiopile sells cases of all sizes.  The built-in wheels are great too!  Hope this helps!

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 05:19:40 PM »

For large gigs I have big 3/4” road cases that carry cables. For smaller shows I use the MO24 stuff from Audiopile.  The Tray versions hold things like mics, DIs, 1/4” cables, and misc and the basic trunks are great for cables.  I like how I can stack 3-4 trunks atop one another and handtruck them into a gig through a standard doorway.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 05:36:15 PM »

If you want to stay in the plastic bin world, Akro-Mils makes the really sturdy ones that they use to ship plumbing parts to hardware stores.  Still pretty affordable, very definitely better than anything you can buy in a local store. Not even that bad looking, though not really rock&roll.

Here's a link.  If you poke around you should be able to buy them in more colors than just gray.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 05:38:31 PM by Scott Helmke »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 05:39:59 PM »

... there's plenty of threads about this if you do a quick search.

But what are you looking for? A more rugged Rubbermaid bin? Or real, legit road cases/cable trunks?
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 05:42:54 PM »

I use M 040 series cases from Audiopile for xlr and dmx cables. I use Audiopile C006 DC cases for my 12/3 SOOW electrical cords.  M 028 cases (the deep version of the M 040 case) hold my 100' and 150' 24 x 8 snakes.

The M series cases have bogie wheels, but a hand truck is faster and easier to move any distance.  They are small enough to lift, even when fairly full.  On end, they are almost the same height as the C006 cases, too.

Edit: add detail on case model number.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:16:21 PM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 05:46:09 PM »

If you want to stay in the plastic bin world, Akro-Mils makes the really sturdy ones that they use to ship plumbing parts to hardware stores.  Still pretty affordable, very definitely better than anything you can buy in a local store. Not even that bad looking, though not really rock&roll.

Here's a link.  If you poke around you should be able to buy them in more colors than just gray.
Scott, I bought 20 of those in the early 90's.
All but one are still in use today.
I think I got them at Reno/Ro-Na whatever it is we have in the great white north. Handy both in the shop, and in the trucks.
Speaker cables in one, XLR in another, AC in the 3rd is my standard "show pack"
If you need more than 60 XLR (seriously), grab another tub.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 05:52:51 PM »

Try Craigslist.  Sometimes you can get lucky and people are trying to get rid of stuff and they will let it go for cheap. Just make sure when you buy, it's the right size for your needs.  My justification is if it has wheels, then I don't have to lift it.  A plastic tub will never be rigid enough for me to trust lifting or guarantee that the lid stays shut.  The audiopile cases are great for the money.  I have an old 24X48 case from audiopile (often referred to as the dead man because it's that heavy) but I rather push than lift any day.  I've since pulled all patch out of that case and now it only has power and speaker cables.  In a pinch, if you don't need a large case, you can convert an old amp rack into a cable case.  Just install a castor plate on the bottom lid and roll it in that orientation. 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 06:01:02 PM »

I use M series cases from Audiopile for xlr and dmx cables. I use Audiopile C006 DC cases for my 12/3 SOOW electrical cords.

The M series cases have bogie wheels, but a hand truck is faster and easier to move any distance.  They are small enough to lift, even when fairly full.  On end, they are almost the same height as the C006 cases, too.

The M040's are our single man case.  I admit the luggage wheels are not that useful.  It usually ends up riding on top of something else.

Unless a venue has a barrier to push in I have come to the realization that a single large road case is the way to go.  DI's and Mic's in a tray on top, cables, mic stands and polls on top.  Monitors ride the case in, mains ride on the subs.  That's three pushes and I am 100% in.  In places with steps I can sometimes use my ramp creatively. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 06:01:02 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.