ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker cable db / power loss  (Read 1249 times)

Luis_Marquez

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 110
Re: Speaker cable db / power loss
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 02:28:39 pm »

Can we maintain DF at a certain level by running multiple conductors to speaker for longer runs ? Say for subs on wider stages,you would normally run 12awg/2c at 75feet. Would 12awg/4c at 75feet maintain DF? The down side is adapters and additional weight.
Logged

Chris Grimshaw

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1557
  • Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Speaker cable db / power loss
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 02:36:54 pm »

Can we maintain DF at a certain level by running multiple conductors to speaker for longer runs ? Say for subs on wider stages,you would normally run 12awg/2c at 75feet. Would 12awg/4c at 75feet maintain DF? The down side is adapters and additional weight.

If you need to power multiple cabinets, you could just run cables to individual cabinets - that effectively puts a load of copper in parallel. You'll need a splitter panel at the racks.

Remember, double the length and you've to double the area.

Chris
Logged
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Luke Geis

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2110
    • Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Speaker cable db / power loss
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 08:14:07 pm »

If you have 50' of 10awg and then the last 1' is 22awg, the total losses will be the series total of the two. The question might be, what if the 1' of 22awg was what was in the rack? The wires specific resistance would be factored into the whole of the calculation. The 2' of 22awg with a 4 ohm load would reduce an amp with a DF of 500 down to 49 and would reduce output by .1db with a 2% loss in energy. After adding another 50' of 16awg you would loose another .8db of output and another 9% of energy. The Df of the amp would be reduced to essentially nil as the 50' 16awg cable would reduce the DF to 9 ( this is regardless of the 2' of 22awg ). In total the db loss would be .9 db and the total energy loss would be 11%. In other words the 2' of 22awg is not really hurting things too much. The wattage loss in the 50' 16awg cable into a 4 ohm load alone, assuming a power amp of 1000 watts, would be reduced by 174 watts for a total of 826 watts actually dissipated. The 2' of 22awg would loose less than 10 watts.   

The best calc for this I have come across: https://www.electrovoice.com/cableloss.php?x=34.647102&y=-120.4645547
Logged
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Speaker cable db / power loss
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 08:14:07 pm »


Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
 



Page created in 0.053 seconds with 25 queries.