ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worship Leader Talkback Suggestions?  (Read 4830 times)

Alex Monastra

Worship Leader Talkback Suggestions?
« on: May 31, 2018, 01:40:13 PM »

How's it going?

I'm looking for some suggestions for talkback for our worship leader. We're currently running IEMs and using an A/B switch (ProCo Panic Button specifically) to use his main vocal mic to talk to the band and FOH. I'm currently looking at moving to wireless mics for all of our vocalists to help eliminate stage runs (we are a mobile church, so the less XLRs that we have to run the better!). But I realize now that the Panic Button is only useful with wired mics because I would have to run an xlr back to the stage to make it work with a wireless mic.

What do you guys use? A custom setup? A second mic? Weaning the leader off using the talkback/using a band leader offstage to talk to the band? I would love any suggestions you might have!
Thanks!

- Alex

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Worship Leader Talkback Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »

How's it going?

I'm looking for some suggestions for talkback for our worship leader. We're currently running IEMs and using an A/B switch (ProCo Panic Button specifically) to use his main vocal mic to talk to the band and FOH. I'm currently looking at moving to wireless mics for all of our vocalists to help eliminate stage runs (we are a mobile church, so the less XLRs that we have to run the better!). But I realize now that the Panic Button is only useful with wired mics because I would have to run an xlr back to the stage to make it work with a wireless mic.

What do you guys use? A custom setup? A second mic? Weaning the leader off using the talkback/using a band leader offstage to talk to the band? I would love any suggestions you might have!

You would still need to run cables out to the A B box only the input would come from the wireless receiver.

From the perspective of the audience I think it would look strange to see someone talking into a mic and not hear any sound as they are talking to the band through their IEM's

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 07:05:59 PM »

You would still need to run cables out to the A B box only the input would come from the wireless receiver.

Alex,

Do what Mike suggests. Grab some gender benders and route the wireless receiver to the A/B switch input. Then the outs as usual.

From the perspective of the audience I think it would look strange to see someone talking into a mic and not hear any sound as they are talking to the band through their IEM's

While I can see that.

We do this at every campus and many churches do this. It's not as big deal as one might think.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:43:12 PM »

If the band really needs that much direction then get a music director who takes care of that stuff.  Someone who’s not already singing is easiest.  Of course you need someone in the band who is up to the job.  Someone who can pay attention to cues from a producer can be useful too.  You can then stretch out a song or wrap it up quickly when appropriate.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 08:46:23 PM »

Alex,

Do what Mike suggests. Grab some gender benders and route the wireless receiver to the A/B switch input. Then the outs as usual.

While I can see that.

We do this at every campus and many churches do this. It's not as big deal as one might think.

If the receiver is on stage no gender benders needed just a mic cable, if the receiver is at FOH then you would need to flip a snake channel around or if you have extra XLR returns on the snake you could use one of those and no gender benders needed.

I guess a quick few words to the band could go un noticed by the audience.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 09:50:28 PM »

How's it going?

You have been given some very cost effective options to do what you want with existing gear or standard wireless receivers. 
I wanted to mention that there are also systems that have multiple outlets on the receiver that can be controlled by a switch on the handheld.  Sennheiser has systems with built in multi output capability on the receivers, I am not sure if others do.  It is controlled by the "mute" switch on the handheld.  The switch can be a standard mute or a mute that enganges the second output when muted.  The second output can actually be programmed for quite a few different options depending upon the need. 
These are out of the price range for most but I did want to mention them just in case.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 12:10:21 AM »

How's it going?

I'd look hard at the Radial Relay XO and footswitch. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 05:54:43 AM »

You have been given some very cost effective options to do what you want with existing gear or standard wireless receivers. 
I wanted to mention that there are also systems that have multiple outlets on the receiver that can be controlled by a switch on the handheld.  Sennheiser has systems with built in multi output capability on the receivers, I am not sure if others do.  It is controlled by the "mute" switch on the handheld.  The switch can be a standard mute or a mute that enganges the second output when muted.  The second output can actually be programmed for quite a few different options depending upon the need. 
These are out of the price range for most but I did want to mention them just in case.

Lee

This
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

BradPinder

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 06:14:07 AM »

We have a dedicated band leader mic setup. someone is rostered as band leader for that day, and is responsible for cueing the band and singers. the worship leaders also have a very clear set of hand signals agreed (verse, chorus, play again, free worship etc). this seems to work well for us.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 06:14:07 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.