ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Craig stole a truck. I bought a yard tool.  (Read 11628 times)

John Fruits

Re: Craig stole a truck. I bought a yard tool.
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 11:27:29 AM »

I'm reminded of the anecdote of someone strapping a snowthrower to the trunk of their car and, at the moment someone asked them; "what the heck is THAT thing???", would know they'd moved far enough south.

Dave

Ah you can't beat the classics, Homer (not Simpson) even.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »

Even with chains I have never been able to get enough traction to push snow with a lawn tractor.  Interested to hear your results.
I have a 1980's(?) JD 300 / 16HP single cylinder Kohlar, outfitted with a 4 1/2ft. snow blade, which seemingly serves me pretty well for pushing snow... up to a point.  I have about 10,000sq. ft. of concrete & asphalt surfaces I need to keep clear for daily shipping needs.  The JD & blade works well if I get after it early in the morning... get the snow off before it gets packed to ice.  But it only "pushes snow"... it won't pile it up, and it will only effectively handle up-to maybe 6" deep snow... depending on how heavy the snow is.  I have a skidsteer for when the snow situation gets more serious than what the JD will effectively handle.  Good chains are a must.  I built my JD tractor chains from heavy duty automotive/pick-up chains and doubled-up the crosslinks, for a smoother ride and more traction.  My JD chains are a bugger to put on... gotta let the air out of the tires to get the chains on... but they're a good tight fit once on.  There's definitely some tricks to effectively plowing snow with the blade:  "Enough speed", angling the blade appropriately, it's much better to push down-hill than up-hill, knowing when to use the hydraulic float and when not-to, stay off gravel surfaces if they aren't froze, don't try to back up-hill, etc... 

I really wish that 300 had power steering... and foot controls like the X series for travel because riding the hydrostat lever per the 300 sometimes requires three hands for operation:  Riding the hydrostat lever, steering, and riding the blade hydraulic levers.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 02:12:17 PM »

That's a very nice tractorette .

where I come from if it can't pull a plow, it's not a tractor.   :)
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 04:08:49 PM »

Nice rig Bob. Hope you are feeling better.

I have a 3 point hitch grader blade for my tractor (Kubota compact). If you ever need it, let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 04:29:51 PM »

So.... a bit more info on me that helps folks here to realize just how much of a tom boy I am...
I've ALWAYS wanted to own a small tractor and the land to justify owning one.

Sadly what I have now is probably the closest I have ever been ( and will ever be) with my 2-1/2 acres and my Craftsman ride on mower. Most of the land is wooded though and the parts that are not have slopes.
I'd love a small Kabota or something with a mower attachment just so I could say I own a tractor. 
The Crafstman has been fantastic. I purchased it when I first moved here almost 12 years ago. My one neighbor bought a John Deere ( big box faux type I think) and the other neighbor bought a Toro or Troybuilt. They have both had theirs in the shop more than once even with yearly servicing by the local dealers.... Mine - hardly ever touch it apart from adding gas and maybe some oil and it has NEVER let me down.
Did I just tempt providence? Does this mean I gets me a real tractor?

I'm jealous Bob.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 07:49:06 PM »

If I understand correctly, what differentiates a tractor from a riding mower hinges on "ground engaging"... meaning (yes), if it can pull a plow, IE:  has a substantial hitch (not pressed steel like substance) and a 100% duty cycle drivetrain, then it's classed as a tractor.

I think the X500 and X700 series JD garden tractors qualify as "tractors".

I own a 1966 Chevy Pick-up... my employee owns a 2016 Ford "TRUCK"... I don't know when or how pick-ups graduated to being "TRUCKS"... to me a truck is a truck... being something much more robust than a pick-up and with a GVW sticker on the side... and the owner pays tonnage tax.

BTW:  My elderly neighbor owns a vintage tractor... I forget what it is... I think it's a Cat 2 Ton or similar.  Interestingly my garden tractor and his old Cat are rated at similar horse power (I think)… but there's major differences:  I suspect his tractor's radiator weighs more than my garden tractor.  And I strongly suspect his tractor could outpull mine hands down... like "no contest".  I think mine's easier to start (just hit the key) and rides smoother.  And mine has a beverage holder... major plus there!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 08:31:01 PM »

Nice gear, between your X580 and the wood chipper, it is certainly a colorful rig.  Is that price for the snow blower a special "off-season" price, should you not sell it right away will the price go up when winter gets closer?
The important question, did the dealer give you a John Deere hat?

Yes, the dealer gave me a John Deere hat. And, I had a tooth pulled today. I look like the front row of a Dolly Parton concert.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 08:35:02 PM »

This one pulls a plow, but still, it's a tractorette. Exactly what my son in law called it. He's from Indiana and grew up on a farm with plenty of large tractor time.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 08:39:59 PM »

Nice rig Bob. Hope you are feeling better.

I have a 3 point hitch grader blade for my tractor (Kubota compact). If you ever need it, let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not enough hydraulics for a 3 point hitch Rob. Those come on the add $6K to what I spent tractors. I have plenty of ground engaging attachments, and I finished putting on the sleeve hitch last night.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 08:53:13 PM »

If I understand correctly, what differentiates a tractor from a riding mower hinges on "ground engaging"... meaning (yes), if it can pull a plow, IE:  has a substantial hitch (not pressed steel like substance) and a 100% duty cycle drivetrain, then it's classed as a tractor.

I think the X500 and X700 series JD garden tractors qualify as "tractors".

I own a 1966 Chevy Pick-up... my employee owns a 2016 Ford "TRUCK"... I don't know when or how pick-ups graduated to being "TRUCKS"... to me a truck is a truck... being something much more robust than a pick-up and with a GVW sticker on the side... and the owner pays tonnage tax.

BTW:  My elderly neighbor owns a vintage tractor... I forget what it is... I think it's a Cat 2 Ton or similar.  Interestingly my garden tractor and his old Cat are rated at similar horse power (I think)… but there's major differences:  I suspect his tractor's radiator weighs more than my garden tractor.  And I strongly suspect his tractor could outpull mine hands down... like "no contest".  I think mine's easier to start (just hit the key) and rides smoother.  And mine has a beverage holder... major plus there!

Mark,

I bought the JD sleeve hitch. They call it the "integral power hitch". Runs off of the hydraulic system, and what a bitch to put it on. I had to pull of the fenders and whole upper body along with the foot pedals, and the instructions where as clear as mud. My first test was to pull a stone rake through loam up a 30 degree incline. Never broke a sweat even with the tines 3" into the dirt. Good down force and plenty of power to lift the heaviest implements made for a sleeve hitch. The hitch assembly is made in the USA from 3/8" x 2 1/2" steel all around. There are other attachments including a hydraulic powered rototiller, etc.. But right now I have the 48" front blade, 48" rear blade, 48" York rake, 48" mowing deck, 3/4 ton cart, brush guard, electric 125lb spreader, 600lb roller, and chipper. I'm all set for now. One of the finer points is the K72 transmission designed for heavy duty ground breaking abuse. Add the 4 year 500 hour full coverage warranty and I'm all set...... For now.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 08:53:13 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 26 queries.