ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Craig stole a truck. I bought a yard tool.  (Read 11618 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Craig stole a truck. I bought a yard tool.
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »

I have to agree to all the above. I also feel half throttle about all you ever need, and on my machine that's a bit less than 2000 rpm. My point above was that there is no reason to constantly run equipment at full throttle. It's hard on the equipment.

Yepper.

My maternal grandfather used to back off throttle position by pitch, I think.  Whatever "red line" sounded like, to my ear he'd back down by about a major third and adjust up or down depending upon conditions and load.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2018, 08:44:35 PM »

+1.
I have a Kubota B2910 and a Kubota TG1860, both diesels and get the same results as Tom.

Agreed. I have a Kubota BX22 with the 3 cyl diesel. 22hp  I remember right. The only time I run it WOT is with the snow blower in heavy snow. No belts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve Crump

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2018, 10:30:43 PM »

I have to agree to all the above. I also feel half throttle about all you ever need, and on my machine that's a bit less than 2000 rpm. My point above was that there is no reason to constantly run equipment at full throttle. It's hard on the equipment.

I agree with that thought. With very few exceptions, the hardest I push my tractor is bush hogging. I use a mid-weight 60” bush hog. I run an engine speed at around 1800-1900 RPM or at least according to the tachometer on the console.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2018, 12:54:35 AM »

I agree with that thought. With very few exceptions, the hardest I push my tractor is bush hogging. I use a mid-weight 60” bush hog. I run an engine speed at around 1800-1900 RPM or at least according to the tachometer on the console.

Standard PTO speeds are 540 and 1000 RPM. Often the engine speed that corresponds with 540 or 1000 PTO RPM is marked on the tach, and it's somewhat less than full throttle.

It's my understanding that many implements are designed for most effective operation on a PTO turning at 540 or 1000 RPM. That doesn't necessarily translate to a typical riding mower, but it seems to me that full throttle may not be ideal there, either.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Steve Crump

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2018, 09:35:34 AM »

Standard PTO speeds are 540 and 1000 RPM. Often the engine speed that corresponds with 540 or 1000 PTO RPM is marked on the tach, and it's somewhat less than full throttle.

It's my understanding that many implements are designed for most effective operation on a PTO turning at 540 or 1000 RPM. That doesn't necessarily translate to a typical riding mower, but it seems to me that full throttle may not be ideal there, either.

You are correct. The rear PTO on mine is 540 and the tachometer indicator for the PTO puts the engine speed at around 2600 RPM, (which is at rated HP), which that is less than full throttle. But for the small grass/weed field that I cut 3 to 4 times a year with the tractor, I prefer around the 2000 mark. It makes for an easy day and the engine just sings.

As far a lawn mower, I can only speak to my experience with the TG1860. I have no idea about the specs. I got a killer deal on it used about 14 years ago, it was traded in on a zero turn and only had 200 hours on it. I have the Kubota dealer service it at the intervals listed under the hood. As bad as I hate to admit it all I do is start the engine, hit the throttle to max and cut my lawn. The little diesel is unbelievable, even when we have been busy and haven't cut the grass for a while, the TG1860 just lays waste to the yard. 

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2018, 12:48:11 PM »

Wish they had a little diesel option for the X500 series, because I would have gone that route. JD uses Yanmar for the most part in the smaller tractors.

I wonder if any of you has priced a small tractor lately. I wanted a 3 point hitch and front end loader, which meant the X700 series minimum, or sub compact if I went with Kubota or anyone else. The X700 series got me to $12,000 just for the tractor and by the time I had added what I wanted the price was around $18-19K.

Sub compacts were worse usually getting into the low to mid $20K region, and I just couldn't justify that type of money to do what I can do with my X580. I still jones for an X700 though.

At least I have hydraulics, so I'm not running analog.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:50:24 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »

I wonder if any of you has priced a small tractor lately. I wanted a 3 point hitch and front end loader, which meant the X700 series minimum, or sub compact if I went with Kubota or anyone else. The X700 series got me to $12,000 just for the tractor and by the time I had added what I wanted the price was around $18-19K.

Sub compacts were worse usually getting into the low to mid $20K region, and I just couldn't justify that type of money to do what I can do with my X580. I still jones for an X700 though.

And that's why, when I bought a compact tractor a few years ago, I settled for a 30+ year old Craigslist special (Ford 1500 made by Shibaura). I paid $5000 -- which was probably the price it was new in 1979.

That $12,000 2018 X700 will probably sell for $12,000 in 2050 and someone will think they got a bargain.

Tractors (if not wholly abused) seem to hold their price with age.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:24:56 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2018, 10:28:09 AM »

Wish they had a little diesel option for the X500 series, because I would have gone that route. JD uses Yanmar for the most part in the smaller tractors.

At least I have hydraulics, so I'm not running analog.

Just got a Sub Compact for our town's park-board
$23K for the 2025 with loader and 60" mow deck, new from dealer but last years model.

FYI, $8K at auction for the used case 580 backhoe (2WD) from the late '70's (and everyone said that was a great deal) -also for the park board

For myself just picked up a pristine 8N for $2000 (fully rebuilt engine& trans sometime in the last 10 years)
 -and a pile of Kohler engines with 3 MTD hydrostatic lawn tractor chassis for $500

(-Why I have no $$ left for sound gear!)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2018, 11:11:46 AM »

I'm a little jealous... over the years I've rearranged tons of dirt in my yard and rain ditches the old fashioned way (shovel and wheelbarrow). I'd like to borrow that back hoe for a few days.  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2018, 09:51:12 PM »

Who wouldn't want to borrow the backhoe. And there it is, the perfect sub compact at $23K.

I'll be posting some pics in another thread soon about the contractor for the town that hydro seeded all of our lawns with lambsquarters. It's creeping into what I did and it's making me less than happy. I won't let it go past the weekend. Either they come up with a solution or the town/contractor will be paying for mine. Only part of a two (2) year overhaul that's screwed up.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2018, 09:51:12 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.