ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Craig stole a truck. I bought a yard tool.  (Read 11616 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Craig stole a truck. I bought a yard tool.
« on: May 29, 2018, 08:43:36 PM »

Some 35 or more years ago I bought a good little garden tractor from Sears. 18 HP, tractor tires, weights, chains, electric lift front and rear, front blade, etc. It served me well, but had it's short comings when it came to real work, like plowing, dragging rakes, etc. But still, it was what I could afford at the time and I have no complaints.

Three weeks ago I ordered a new tractor from my John Deere dealer to the tune $9K (could have had one hell of a console for that.)

I bought the beast because the town is now in the final stages of re-working the street I live on, a project more than 20 years in the making. My wife and I decided long ago that nothing would be done outside until we were sure the town was done, and that time is here.

I've finished the boiler project and now to the outside, and that includes landscaping and painting the house, plus some long over due exterior maintenance. We've never had a lawn to speak of, and with the front yard over 1/2 acre the expense was in the $6K range just for the loam to cover with 4" depth.

So here comes the town taking a minor amount of frontage, then paying me for it, installing all new water lines, sewage lines, drainage, gas lines, cutting trees, widening the road, cement sidewalks, granite curb stone, and new trees.

After all of that and for me allowing them to use my yard to store equipment, giant rocks for walls, and anything else they had a need for, they were gracious enough to remove three giant pines at $4K each, no cost to me, 9ea. 10 wheel dump truck loads of loam, no cost to me, spread the loam over 95% of the yard, no cost to me, and plant three (3) new red oaks 8 feet in from the street in a nice straight line, no cost to me. Nice job by my town, and the contractor for the project is amazing.

In back of my house is another 1/2 acre lot that is wooded. Always wanted to clean it up, but never had the equipment to do it.

Finally, at 66 and with a recent heart attack I was really feeling the effort needed to move a 15hp Ariens snow blower up and down a very steep 2 car driveway over 250' long. So with a plan in place I decided to get rid of the old tractor wannabe and the snow blower, then buy a practical tractor that could:

Push snow and dirt, pull implements like stone rakes, blades, box graders, etc. WITHOUT a problem. The tractor had to be equipped with hydraulics front, rear and mower deck.

I also wanted a high capacity trailer, wood chipper, cover, weights, and a bucket if possible.

I looked at sub compacts from Deere, Kubota, Mahindra and a few other manufactures. All of them had a base price starting at around $14K, and then after adding attachments I could have easily spent upwards of $23-24K.

So while doing my homework I found out that JD had some very nice tractors known as the "X" series. I looked at the X700 series and found a very capable "lawn" tractor with 3 point hitch, power everything, etc. What I found was that the X700 series is more than I'll ever need, and that the cost would be in the $17K region with the attachments I wanted.

But, while at the dealer they showed me the X500 Select series. I had finally found my need fulfilled by a brand new John Deere X580 with;

Front, rear and mower deck hydraulics, full power steering, 48" hydraulic lift blade, 48" mower deck, hydraulic sleeve hitch, locking differential, suitcase weights, HDAP tires, 24HP Kawasaki engine, K72 transmission, lights, digital dash, HDAP tires, rear tire traction belts (for snow), etc. Cost $8700.00.

I then added a Polar cart with foot release tilt and swivel, extra capacity side rails, and the piece de resistance, a 15hp wood chipper. Add $3500, bringing the final cost to $12,200.

I guess I could have bought a very nice board for that money, but hell, whatever takes the load off of my back at this point.

Oh, the old tractor is for sale at $300, and the Ariens snow blower (2 years old and cost $2300) is available for $1K.

Pictures and link below;

Links;
https://www.deere.com/en/mowers/lawn-tractors/x500-series/x580-lawn-tractor/

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/polar-trailer/trailers.html 
HD1500 with single axle, foot pedal release and side rails to increase capacity.

Some of you might like the HD 1200 single axle.

Home depot sells them. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Polar-Trailer-15-cu-ft-HD-1200-Trailer-8383/202326929

Here’s a link to Brinly. They make most of the good attachments for smaller lawn and garden mowers and tractors. I already have the stone rake, rear blade, and I have a 48” 600lb roller coming in this week. Check these guys out. Sears, Home depot, Lowes, Amazon all sell their stuff and I’m sure you’ll find something that will make your life easier. Start with the tow behind sprayers. Robert should like those just for killing ticks.

https://brinly.com/

And finally, the coup De Resistance. This will arrive this week also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSl-l6WtVAk

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Craig stole a truck. I bought a yard tool.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:44:03 PM »

rear
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 08:45:40 PM »

more

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 08:48:01 PM »

cart

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 08:48:56 PM »

cart
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 08:49:36 PM »

more
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »

Some 35 or more years ago I bought a good little garden tractor from Sears. 18 HP, tractor tires, weights, chains, electric lift front and rear, front blade, etc. It served me well, but had it's short comings when it came to real work, like plowing, dragging rakes, etc. But still, it was what I could afford at the time and I have no complaints.

Three weeks ago I ordered a new tractor from my John Deere dealer to the tune $9K (could have had one hell of a console for that.)

I bought the beast because the town is now in the final stages of re-working the street I live on, a project more than 20 years in the making. My wife and I decided long ago that nothing would be done outside until we were sure the town was done, and that time is here.

I've finished the boiler project and now to the outside, and that includes landscaping and painting the house, plus some long over due exterior maintenance. We've never had a lawn to speak of, and with the front yard over 1/2 acre the expense was in the $6K range just for the loam to cover with 4" depth.

So here comes the town taking a minor amount of frontage, then paying me for it, installing all new water lines, sewage lines, drainage, gas lines, cutting trees, widening the road, cement sidewalks, granite curb stone, and new trees.

After all of that and for me allowing them to use my yard to store equipment, giant rocks for walls, and anything else they had a need for, they were gracious enough to remove three giant pines at $4K each, no cost to me, 9ea. 10 wheel dump truck loads of loam, no cost to me, spread the loam over 95% of the yard, no cost to me, and plant three (3) new red oaks 8 feet in from the street in a nice straight line, no cost to me. Nice job by my town, and the contractor for the project is amazing.

In back of my house is another 1/2 acre lot that is wooded. Always wanted to clean it up, but never had the equipment to do it.

Finally, at 66 and with a recent heart attack I was really feeling the effort needed to move a 15hp Ariens snow blower up and down a very steep 2 car driveway over 250' long. So with a plan in place I decided to get rid of the old tractor wannabe and the snow blower, then buy a practical tractor that could:

Push snow and dirt, pull implements like stone rakes, blades, box graders, etc. WITHOUT a problem. The tractor had to be equipped with hydraulics front, rear and mower deck.

I also wanted a high capacity trailer, wood chipper, cover, weights, and a bucket if possible.

I looked at sub compacts from Deere, Kubota, Mahindra and a few other manufactures. All of them had a base price starting at around $14K, and then after adding attachments I could have easily spent upwards of $23-24K.

So while doing my homework I found out that JD had some very nice tractors known as the "X" series. I looked at the X700 series and found a very capable "lawn" tractor with 3 point hitch, power everything, etc. What I found was that the X700 series is more than I'll ever need, and that the cost would be in the $17K region with the attachments I wanted.

But, while at the dealer they showed me the X500 Select series. I had finally found my need fulfilled by a brand new John Deere X580 with;

Front, rear and mower deck hydraulics, full power steering, 48" hydraulic lift blade, 48" mower deck, hydraulic sleeve hitch, locking differential, suitcase weights, HDAP tires, 24HP Kawasaki engine, K72 transmission, lights, digital dash, HDAP tires, rear tire traction belts (for snow), etc. Cost $8700.00.

I then added a Polar cart with foot release tilt and swivel, extra capacity side rails, and the piece de resistance, a 15hp wood chipper. Add $3500, bringing the final cost to $12,200.

I guess I could have bought a very nice board for that money, but hell, whatever takes the load off of my back at this point.

Oh, the old tractor is for sale at $300, and the Ariens snow blower (2 years old and cost $2300) is available for $1K.

Pictures and link below;

Links;
https://www.deere.com/en/mowers/lawn-tractors/x500-series/x580-lawn-tractor/

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/polar-trailer/trailers.html 
HD1500 with single axle, foot pedal release and side rails to increase capacity.

Some of you might like the HD 1200 single axle.

Home depot sells them. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Polar-Trailer-15-cu-ft-HD-1200-Trailer-8383/202326929

Here’s a link to Brinly. They make most of the good attachments for smaller lawn and garden mowers and tractors. I already have the stone rake, rear blade, and I have a 48” 600lb roller coming in this week. Check these guys out. Sears, Home depot, Lowes, Amazon all sell their stuff and I’m sure you’ll find something that will make your life easier. Start with the tow behind sprayers. Robert should like those just for killing ticks.

https://brinly.com/

And finally, the coup De Resistance. This will arrive this week also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSl-l6WtVAk

That's a really nice tractor.  Even with chains I have never been able to get enough traction to push snow with a lawn tractor.  Interested to hear your results.

I have almost 2 acres, and until she went into hospice I also cut the neighbors lawn so 8 years ago I invested in a Bush Hog estate series zero turn.  Being able to cut and bag grass at warp speed (it has a blower to improve flow from the deck to the bagger) and maneuver around with no radius is really addicting. 

Have fun with your new tool!

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 10:01:03 PM »

The real test is up hill pushing or pulling dirt. I raked the entire half acre pulling a York/stone rake up and down the hill in 20 minutes today. No slipping and barely out of idle. Day before I worked a wooded corner in the yard with the 48" blade. Blade was 3" down and never stopped. That included moving a giant cement slab that had been there for over 30 years because it couldn't be moved in the past. I don't see any problems coming up pushing snow. They call the "X" series lawn tractors. Far more than that. Instead of a sub compact I'll put it in the sub sub compact class. If you want a lawn tractor you go to Sears, Home Depot, etc. and buy one of those, like the "D" series or Craftsman Pro Series, made by Husqvarna. They don't come anywhere close.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 10:32:05 PM »

Nice Bob - very nice.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 10:41:24 PM »

Thank you Debbie.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 10:41:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.