ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting Classic Intermod Interference Despite IAS Coordination, RF scan, etc.  (Read 5544 times)

Paul McDermott

• RF Coordination NYC

I think I'm chasing something broken or an environment element...

If you have a scanner available, turn on your IEM rack and verify you have all you IEM signals about the same amplitude in the center of the stage.

If one of the signals is low try switching it with an input port on the PA821A the is confirmed to be working properly. I have had input ports on PA821A’s go bad in the past.

To further troubleshoot, try putting a whip antenna on the IEM transmitter bypassing the combiner.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band

If you have a scanner available, turn on your IEM rack and verify you have all you IEM signals about the same amplitude in the center of the stage.

If one of the signals is low try switching it with an input port on the PA821A the is confirmed to be working properly. I have had input ports on PA821A’s go bad in the past.

To further troubleshoot, try putting a whip antenna on the IEM transmitter bypassing the combiner.

Hi Paul,

Yes, a port by port scan is going to happen. That and all jumpers will be checked, and each transmitter direct to an antenna bypassing the combiner.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band

Hi Paul,

Yes, a port by port scan is going to happen. That and all jumpers will be checked, and each transmitter direct to an antenna bypassing the combiner.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Hi all,

So the physical setup this past Saturday didn't help much (had been promised a minimum of 20' x 10' and instead got a very cramped corner in a barn.) Nonetheless, I was able to do a port-by-port scan using the TTi scanner, and all IEM transmitters were producing the same amount of RF within a couple of db.

When comparing a Sennheiser A1031-U antenna to the PWS helical, RF received by the TTi appeared to be the same. I didn't get any DB gain from the PWS. I was unable to find our Sennheiser A2003-UHF paddle, so it must be in one of the bins in the shop. I'll add that to the testing mix as soon as I find it.

The good news is that, implementing a coordination with the IEMs segregated from other devices resulted in a very clean setup. No whoosh/thump and so forth. I followed Pete's suggestion of locating all the IEMs in one TV channel, separated from the 2 other Sennheiser G2 transmit devices by at least one TV channel. I coordinated the IEM devices first, then the two Sennheiser G2 devices, the then Shure ULXD.

The LMR replacement jumpers didn't arrive until after I'd gone to the gig, so, sometime this week, I'll unload the van, setup the gear and swap in the new jumpers. At that time, I'll measure any differences between signal coming out of the Shure PA821A combiner vs direct antenna connection. The jumpers are quite expensive, but I'm still glad I got them as they can only help. I also received a 50' length of the LMR UF cable to go from the output port of the Shure combiner to the PWS helical.

Attached are jpegs showing a screenshot of the coordination and a picture of the cramped setup.

Thank you to all who helped me with this - the results so far are promising.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Mark Hannah

What IM options did you use?

For IEMS in a combiner use 3rd, 3tx and 5th order with a maximum IM window at 50MHz.  Use the standard models and do not use any manufacturer table entries, use all custom frequencies.  do all the IEM freqs first.

Pete,

I was searching for something else and came across this...

Can you clarify "stand models vs manufacturer table entries?"  I have noticed in IAS that the defined model's bandwidth & spacing, under custom models, rarely reflects the standard settings under "Options." For example, I know Sennheiser recommends 600k bandwidth (no less than 500k) for their 9000 series, but under "Options" it is 300k.  I don't have a computer w/ IAS in front of me so I'm making a guess on the default bandwidth under "Options."

This leaves me to wondering if I need to cut and paste the defined model's info into "Options" for every brand/model I'm coordinating since it doesn't auto populate.

----

With that said...  Could you recommend someone in the DC metro area I could meet up to answer some questions about my experiences to-date with IAS?  I know the Jetwave Wireless team a little.

Thank you...

Don Boomer

• RF Venue

I’m wondering what you are using to gather the scan data that you port to IAS ... one of your receivers? If so, is it possible there is something happening out of band that could be creating your problem?
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Getting Classic Intermod Interference Despite IAS Coordination, RF scan, etc.
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 08:19:37 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.