ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual CH Wireless System  (Read 2921 times)

Steve Garris

Dual CH Wireless System
« on: May 26, 2018, 05:28:46 PM »

I'm looking to finally purchase a wireless handheld and lav setup. The intended use will be for wedding officiant (lav), and announcing/DJ and possible some live vocals. I'll be using it inside and outside with a small JBL system, typically 200 people or fewer. I don't need rack mount, as I'll be carrying this in a small case. These mics will only be used a few times per year.

I've done some searches here and read through many posts. I do prefer either Shure or Senn brands, but I'm open to recommendations. I do not want any 9v operated transmitter. Lastly, my max budget is $1000 for both handheld and lav.

After doing a lot of research I came across Shure's BLX dual channel system. The BLX1288/PG85 has every feature I'm looking for at a bargain price (SM58 & 185 lav). The J10 band is suitable for my location (584-608 MHz). I read some comments on Debbie's thread from last month stating the BLX might be too cheap and fragile, so this is a concern. Additionally, I'm not seeing anything from Senn in dual channel that fits in my price range.

I'm seeing a lot of digital units that use 2.4 GHz. Many here comment to stay away from these, but I'm not seeing negative reviews. Why would I not want 2.4 GHz?

I'm open to any suggestions - I specifically want to buy new.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Dual CH Wireless System
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 06:12:15 PM »

Steve,

Come down to Hing Hay Park in the International District tomorrow. I'll be running "Pride Asia" from Noon to 4PM. I will bring a couple Sennheiser units that you can look at, that would fit your budget.  [Edit: That I would HIGHLY recommend instead of the BLX series...]

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 06:53:28 PM »

Mipro ACT-7 series UHF. You can get the whole rackmount system within budget. IMO this probably the best bang for the buck in a dual channel receiver, especially if you may want to expand the channel count someday.

edit- can also be had with optional integrated Dante port.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 07:33:59 PM »

Steve,

Come down to Hing Hay Park in the International District tomorrow. I'll be running "Pride Asia" from Noon to 4PM. I will bring a couple Sennheiser units that you can look at, that would fit your budget.  [Edit: That I would HIGHLY recommend instead of the BLX series...]

-Ray

Thanks Ray! Which Senn units are you recommending? Not sure if I can get down there tomorrow.

Steve Garris

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 07:41:34 PM »

Mipro ACT-7 series UHF. You can get the whole rackmount system within budget. IMO this probably the best bang for the buck in a dual channel receiver, especially if you may want to expand the channel count someday.

edit- can also be had with optional integrated Dante port.

Are you by chance a dealer for this? I'm very intrigued by what I've read so far.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 08:19:37 PM »

Thanks Ray! Which Senn units are you recommending? Not sure if I can get down there tomorrow.
The standard "basic" G3 EW100 units. List around $600 each but a good *coffs wink nudge* dealer is gonna take care of you. I'll be back up north 2nd and 4th weekends of June so plenty of time to meet up. Or I can send you a system to demo.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 08:50:38 PM »

Do you really mean dual channel (two receiver in one box) or is what you want a single receiver with the option of using a handheld OR (not and) a body pack with a lav.  I don’t think there are any quality dual channel solutions in your budget range.

Thomas Le

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 11:14:20 PM »

The Shure dual BLX system is hot garbage imo, probably only good for karaoke or wireless on stage use where line of sight is very short and visible. I've scanned for free channels (like 10 channels only?) but once people start packing in, you have to get it high up or else it starts dropping the signal. It was embarrassing to say the least on the below picture. The Shure system was borrowed, not mine.
You heard right to stay away from 2.4 GHz systems. It will look fine during soundcheck, but once people start coming in with their phones pinging for the "free wifi", let's just say you're gonna have a bad time because of the wifi signals interfering with one another. Ray gave you good advice on a EW 100 G3 system; very reliable with way more channels to scan and choose from, and they perform better than the outdated Shure SLX / ULX-S/P.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 12:41:05 AM »

These mics will only be used a few times per year.

Given this, have you considered just renting? Probably way cheaper.

-Russ

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »

Audio Technica 3000 series fills the mid level wireless system very well. Not sure what the pricing will be like on the soon to be released new 3000 series line up, maybe look around for some dealers that still have some of the recent 3000's in 500mhz still in stock.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.