ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use of Snake (which connector to use?)  (Read 1779 times)

Ferd Regier

Use of Snake (which connector to use?)
« on: December 14, 2005, 03:11:46 PM »

I've got two options for running my signal from my Mackie CFX16 to my amp (Peavey CS800), both through the snake.
The snake has a pair of 1/4" monitor feeds and a pair of 1/4" main feeds (heavier gauge, so I assume they were designed to be speaker level outs).  Unfortunately, I have no XLR connectors for use here.  I'm still new to this, but I understand that XLR would be better for longer runs.
So my question is - should I use the thinner monitor conductors, or the thicker speaker level ones?  I suppose a third option is to run a new XLR to the amp.
Oh yeah, the amp is near the stage (about 50' away from the mixer).  The snake is about 50' long.
Any suggestions?
Ferd Regier

John Roberts {JR}

Re: Use of Snake (which connector to use?)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 03:27:05 PM »

Ferd wrote on Wed, 14 December 2005 14:11

I've got two options for running my signal from my Mackie CFX16 to my amp (Peavey CS800), both through the snake.
The snake has a pair of 1/4" monitor feeds and a pair of 1/4" main feeds (heavier gauge, so I assume they were designed to be speaker level outs).  Unfortunately, I have no XLR connectors for use here.  I'm still new to this, but I understand that XLR would be better for longer runs.
So my question is - should I use the thinner monitor conductors, or the thicker speaker level ones?  I suppose a third option is to run a new XLR to the amp.
Oh yeah, the amp is near the stage (about 50' away from the mixer).  The snake is about 50' long.
Any suggestions?
Ferd Regier

Speaker feeds are also unshielded, so you clearly don't want to use them. The obvious suggestion is try the 1/4" signal feeds and see if they work OK. If not go XLR.

JR

Ron Riedel

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 06:41:16 PM »

To add to what JR wrote, make sure the return lines are balanced. Are the 1/4 inch connectors TRS (stereo plugs) or TS (mono plugs). If they are TS, the return is unbalanced, and you should go XLR. You can use a spare mic channel in your snake if you simply get some male-male and female-female XLR adaptors so you can reverse the direction of the XLR's.

Ron

Ivan Beaver

Re: Use of Snake (which connector to use?) How old is amp?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 09:13:26 PM »

As has been said do not use the heavy wires.  Depending on how old the CS800 is, it may not have balanced inputs-even though it has an XLR jack.  On the older ones you needed the optional transformer that would plug in the back in order to get a balanced input.  Otherwise it was an unbalanced jack.

Is your CS800 4 spaces tall or is it a shorter one?
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Bob Watkins

Re: Use of Snake (which connector to use?) How old is amp?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 11:36:24 PM »

How about move the amp to the front of the snake and send the amplified signal on the heavy gage wire (assuming this is what it really is). Then connect the speakers to the end of the snake.

Just a thought
Bob W

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 08:40:20 AM »

How do you know that the 1/4" returns are actually heavier gauge wire?  Is this a snake built from several cables taped together?  

The question of a snake with speaker-wire returns comes up here and there, and pretty much the answer is "I've never actually seen such a beast".  Most snakes have all the same kind of wire inside, just substituting different connectors on the ends to have a certain number of mic channels and a certain number of returns.  Probably what you have (what exactly do you have, by the way?) is a snake with 1/4" returns, and you could just make a few TRS-XLR adapters for the Mackie end of things.  TRS is just another connector that can be used for balanced signals.  Or you could replace the connectors on the snake return channels.
Scott Helmke
TC Furlong, Inc.

Ferd Regier

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 08:48:02 AM »

In answer to some of the above:
The CS800 was just purchased used, but is 4 spaces high and is among the newer models (music store guy said it's about one generation back from the current model).
Snake main returns seem to me to be speaker wire.  At least the thickness of the wire for these two runs is considerably thicker than the channel runs.  It was custom made a few years ago.
I will check the connectors tonight to see which are TRS and which are unbalanced.
Thanks for the Info
Ferd

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 09:04:03 AM »

Ferd wrote on Thu, 15 December 2005 07:48

In answer to some of the above:
The CS800 was just purchased used, but is 4 spaces high and is among the newer models (music store guy said it's about one generation back from the current model).
Snake main returns seem to me to be speaker wire.  At least the thickness of the wire for these two runs is considerably thicker than the channel runs.  It was custom made a few years ago.
I will check the connectors tonight to see which are TRS and which are unbalanced.
Thanks for the Info
Ferd

If it's indeed 4U high it is at least 4 generations or more old, depending on how you count. It will not be balanced input unless it has an optional transformer.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions regarding the veracity of your salesman.

JR

Al Limberg

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 03:08:49 PM »

Most , if not all, of the major snake companies have been building and selling 'powered' snakes for twenty five years or longer.   While not common in the pro end of the business, they certainly have served their purpose well amongst the powered mixer crowd.

Al
 Some people are like a Slinky.....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 03:08:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.