ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Operator Data Sheet?  (Read 1697 times)

bgarver

Sound Operator Data Sheet?
« on: December 12, 2005, 11:07:17 AM »

New to this group and have searched for what I need but with no luck.

I am having issues with some of our sound techs at our church of missing mic cues. We are dropping the beginning lines of a speaker as they begin due to not un-muting the mic. I have always thought that this was caused by not paying attention to what was going on, but am i wrong? Do the techs need a direction sheet for each service listing the speakers and associated mics and when each person will speak? If so, do any of you have such a sheet made up that you would be willing to share so that I can get ideas to design one for here?

Thanks for the interesting discussion. I look forward to hearing from you.

Bob Garver

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: Sound Operator Data Sheet?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 12:16:07 PM »

bgarver wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 11:07

I am having issues with some of our sound techs at our church of missing mic cues. We are dropping the beginning lines of a speaker as they begin due to not un-muting the mic. I have always thought that this was caused by not paying attention to what was going on, but am i wrong? Do the techs need a direction sheet for each service listing the speakers and associated mics and when each person will speak? If so, do any of you have such a sheet made up that you would be willing to share so that I can get ideas to design one for here?

Bob Garver
In the theater it is what we would call a script. Yes, your techs need some guidance. It could be as simple as a copy of that day's service program, with notes as to who will be speaking and where. It could be as complex as a written record of eq and monitor changes in addition to the above. I think your problem is probably a combination of lack of a written cue sheet and lack of attention. Even following along in the daily program you should be able to avoid upcutting the speaker. There is little use in someone else giving you a cue sheet, as it will bear no relation to your order of worship. Start with notes in the program, and add more information as the situation demands it. And let them know that they can bring the mic up a couple of seconds before they expect someone to speak.

Mac

Shane Morningstar

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 12:24:55 PM »

Hi Bob,

I am one of these techs that you speak of. Smile
This is my oppionion... take it with a grain of salt... I am not a professional, but pride myself in profesioanlism.

If the mic ques are that complex that they cannot visually see and follow, then yes, give them a script to follow.

If they are simply asleeep at the wheel, sometimes a wack upside the head helps!! I'm kidding of course. If this is the case, possible a conversation with them stressing the importance of being 'On-the-ball'. One thing I have learned, is that you need to strive for Excellence, this removes one of the many barriers for your congregation to have a truly spiritual service.

One trick I have learned (again, my oppionion!!), and this one has to be done SELECTIVELY. Leave the mic chanels on, but pull the fader back half-way or so. This keeps the mic open, and allows the operator to quickly recover without a big bang effect. Plus if the operator does mis the que, there will still be some volume in the house for everyone to pick up on.

Again, My thoughts only.

Hope this helps.

Shane

Mark Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 12:29:01 PM »

bgarver wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 11:07

Bob Garver

Bob,

I have often blamed this on not paying attention.  I believe sometimes it is.  But, if someone knows something is going to happen, I think it usually reduces these occurances.  This would be my suggestion to you.
Have your operators come up with the sheet!
I don't know the size/complexity of your services, but here is a shot.
Have the tech that is going to run the service go to all rehearsals for that service (assuming they don't already).  Have them talk with the pastors/directors or whoever is planning the service to determine exactly what is happening (they may have to check with you if your pastors want one point of contact with tech).  Have them make a sheet for that service (in whatever format they want).  After all your operators have had a chance to do this, get together and review the sheets.  Talk about what everone likes or dislikes about each sheet.  That way, you get one tailored to your needs.  But, the biggest thing is that your techs need to fill it out for themselves.  In my experience, filling the sheet out is worth a whole lot more than being given a sheet. my .02.. hope this helps

Jeff White

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 05:36:59 PM »

Mark's idea of coming up with your own sheet is a good one!  

Our Worship Leader uses an .xls document template and adds in the songs/specials/activities of that Sunday, then distributes it at rehearsal.  Team members scribble their notes on their copies, and some of us submit any possible changes for the "final copy" reprinted for Sunday.

I'll attach a recent copy that might serve as a sample starting point.  You can delete the data and save it as a blank template, or whatever else strikes you as useful. (too lazy to delete the data myself!)

Sometimes, even in the best of circumstances, I can't get everything cued quick enough.  When we review the day's services with the WL, and he notes the missed cues, I tell him (with a big smile) "two words, brother='mute groups'" (we don't have 'em)

Blessings!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 05:36:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.