ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: New corporate mission statement  (Read 9648 times)

Scott Helmke

Re: New corporate mission statement
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 08:25:06 PM »

If high end weddings are the target I see no problem with "bespoke".  The folks who can afford to do it right have been marketed to with that term from watches to auto service.

It's like "Dress like the boss".  Use the language of the clients, not the workers.

I've learned to simply smile and nod when people say "podium mic". If everybody is using "bespoke", then jump on the bandwagon. You can change it any time you want with a new set of biz cards and a little time updating your website.

How about this:
"Experienced production tailored to fit your bespoke event"

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2018, 08:31:39 PM »

It's still not bespoke though. Bespoke is taking something that is not standard and customizing it to fit a very specific person, place or thing.

Staging is 4' X 8' boards put together, drapery is 13' X 16' panels of drape suspended on poles, projection screens are standard sizes unless you actually do make your own screen and do projection mapping. Lighting design, don't get me started :) you take a light and point it in a direction..... make the colors look pretty and call it a day.

A bespoke show would be where you have to make a custom stage deck that has non standard shapes, create a projection screen out of materials and framing that will require unique ways to erect it and image mapping from perhaps multiple projectors, the drapes would have to be hand tucked and tacked to some backing board, and lighting where, wait it's just lights, you take a light and point it in a direction and make the colors look pretty :) I tease, I tease. Sound again is not really bespoke, I can bet that by the time all this other stuff is done, you won't be able to put the speakers where you want them ( and not be in the way of projection and lighting ), subs will be behind the stage and it is still the same speaker you use all the time ( I.E. not bespoke ).

Perhaps I look at the terminology to literal? Bespoke to me and based upon definition means custom made for specific application. A tailored suite, a one off watch made to my demands, a racing car seat made to fit my body shape and profile are bespoke. Bespoke is a tangible item that is unlike any other. Using that wording you could argue that a production could also then be bespoke, but you can also say that production is very much step and repeat. You have sound, lights, decor, staging and execution, they are put together differently every time, but only because the dimensions, placement and constraints dictate it, not simply because the end client says I must have a show unlike any other you have done. The rules dictate certain things be a certain way, the look may change, but the processes that get it there do not.

Synonyms of bespoke don't really help either. Here are some examples of synonyms:

betoken · denote · display · engage · evidence · evince · exhibit · foretell · imply · indicate · prearrange · predict · proclaim · reveal · show · signify · solicit · suggest

If you really want to sell on the Bespoke idea, run with: We are the Haute Couture of event production

EDIT: I just want to say I was poking fun at lighting, it is a team sport and I love the LD's I work with!!!! Don't blind me please :)

The average customer doesn't know about all these industry standards, talk to anybody outside the industry and they think we do magic.

It sounds like Scott is trying to market to a segment that wants to feel like they are special, whether their requirements are actually anything beyond the ordinary is besides the point.

Sometimes perception trumps reality.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 08:36:39 PM »

While Scott's services may not be "bespoke", in the minds of the bride, mother of the bride and the wedding coordinator, the "event" is.  So, he's playing to that perception.  However elitist or entitled it may seem.  If he's willing to put up with high end wedding coordinators (by that I mean ones that sell themselves to rich clients, not necessarily the truly professional ones) then he may as well play to their inflated self image.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 08:39:13 PM »

I've learned to simply smile and nod when people say "podium mic". If everybody is using "bespoke", then jump on the bandwagon. You can change it any time you want with a new set of biz cards and a little time updating your website.

How about this:
"Experienced production tailored to fit your bespoke event"

I like, how about "Experienced production for your bespoke event" ???

That's better.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 08:43:24 PM »

While Scott's services may not be "bespoke", in the minds of the bride, mother of the bride and the wedding coordinator, the "event" is.  So, he's playing to that perception.  However elitist or entitled it may seem.  If he's willing to put up with high end wedding coordinators (by that I mean ones that sell themselves to rich clients, not necessarily the truly professional ones) then he may as well play to their inflated self image.

This is exactly it.  You never get rich with poor clients.  It seems as if nobody wants to deal with these folks.  I can laugh my way all to the bank.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 08:58:38 PM »

This is exactly it.  You never get rich with poor clients.  It seems as if nobody wants to deal with these folks.  I can laugh my way all to the bank.

The issue is mostly personnel.  It's easy to get guys in Slayer t-shirts... and they'll bust out the setup in no time while dropping the F-bomb in the ballroom.  They cannot make the jump to a gig that pays them more money to work more methodically, dress better and be mindful that not everyone routinely swears like a longshoreman.  It helps when you keep your gear in excellent cosmetic condition, too, and that is mostly a matter of personnel covering and carefully handling that gear.

Regarding your up-thread comment about Vincent - it pays to charge more.  Interestingly I got an email from a client about not using one of our competitors because "...they're too cheap."  I didn't ask the client why but suspect they have figured out if Competitor is consistently 30% under *everybody else* then there are corners being consistently cut.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 09:46:24 PM »

So no to: We are the Haute Couture of event production :(

I don't know, in 15+ years I have never once heard a client say the term bespoke in reference to their event, let alone anything else. It is just such an automotive racing term these days. In either case Selling to a higher end client will be more about image than a kitschy term ( not that yours is, but you get what I mean ). If your website looks visually like what you are trying to sell towards, as long as the English within it makes sense, you won't have a problem selling. I don't think a client with LOTS of money cares that you have a saying that refers to their event as bespoke, only more so that you assert that YOU are THE vendor for the job. You don't have to undermine, or play to a clients ego to pull them in. If you have a good product and you can show that you do, then a phrase that simply says you are the end all be all to a clients needs is enough. It doesn't even have to have $20 words.

We are the foremost production company suited for all your bespoke event needs.

That really asserts that you are the ONE and bespoke is a $20 word to make the client feel like they are special. You don't even have to use bespoke and it still says you are the ONE. Foremost is an even more assertive word than bespoke.

Foremost: most prominent in rank, importance, or position

synonyms:   leading, principal, premier, prime, top, top-level, greatest, best, supreme, preeminent, outstanding, most important, most prominent, most influential, most illustrious, most notable...... etc. It says WAY more than bespoke does.

I would drop bespoke and just use: We are the Foremost production company for your .......... event.    where ........ can be a $20 word or your choice if you'd like.

I will revert to my slogan: Truly professional sound support services.

I wanted as short of a sentence as possible that asserted what I was and did. Truly professional was the shortest path I could get to that explained what I was about and how I do it. Before that, my slogan was: Sound that exceeds expectation. It was short, strong and to the point but didn't say how or why it was. I DO NOT provide anything other than sound services. It really puts me in a small box. I don't provide staging, I don't do video and I don't do lighting or decor. I am the In-N-Out of sound, I do one thing and I do it really well. Without being sly or pandering, I found a way to project what I do and how I do it.

Just trying to help is all. I am certain that if your image sells as high class, you don't have to use clever slogans to sell it.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Scott Helmke

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 09:59:15 AM »

I like, how about "Experienced production for your bespoke event" ???

That's better.

It's up to you, of course.

I will add that like in corporate and sports work, having some gray hair and being the calmest person in the room can be a big advantage. 

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2018, 12:41:53 PM »

A bespoke show would be where you have to make a custom stage deck that has non standard shapes, create a projection screen out of materials and framing that will require unique ways to erect it and image mapping from perhaps multiple projectors, the drapes would have to be hand tucked and tacked to some backing board, and lighting where, wait it's just lights, you take a light and point it in a direction and make the colors look pretty :) I tease, I tease. Sound again is not really bespoke, I can bet that by the time all this other stuff is done, you won't be able to put the speakers where you want them ( and not be in the way of projection and lighting ), subs will be behind the stage and it is still the same speaker you use all the time ( I.E. not bespoke ).

Perhaps I look at the terminology to literal? Bespoke to me and based upon definition means custom made for specific application. A tailored suite, a one off watch made to my demands, a racing car seat made to fit my body shape and profile are bespoke. Bespoke is a tangible item that is unlike any other. Using that wording you could argue that a production could also then be bespoke, but you can also say that production is very much step and repeat. You have sound, lights, decor, staging and execution, they are put together differently every time, but only because the dimensions, placement and constraints dictate it, not simply because the end client says I must have a show unlike any other you have done. The rules dictate certain things be a certain way, the look may change, but the processes that get it there do not.

They really don't want bespoke lighting and sound. They want bespoke physics.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »

Pretty much^^^^^^^ :)

I had a joke to insert, but it is not appropriate:)

What are you deciding on right now Scott? Give us an update!
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.