ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analog consoles still in use on big tours?  (Read 7216 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Analog consoles still in use on big tours?
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2018, 04:19:43 PM »

And this gets to the heart of the matter - it's about what the BE is comfortable using.

As a regional provider we see mostly "self contained" headline acts and support acts that have varying levels of need.  I can't bill the FOH console as a separate line item unless it's rented in at promoter request (IOW artist demand) so buying a $75,000 FOH console is beyond stupid.  Looking down to the middle range there's little outside A-H (who, were we on another continent with a different importer, might get our business).

The Yamaha QL repeats much of what frustrated me with the LS/9, the CL is cool and a decent value when it's on promotion sale with bundled i/o... but only then.  As "everybody's second choice" we'll probably buy a CL5 package...

AVID has introduced smaller surfaces for the S6L line but I've yet to see pricing on any of it.  That we will have to buy SoundGrid server(s) to use Waves plugs is a disappointment.  Anything AVID will have to be price competitive with the Yammy CL.

DigiCo?  As soon as they stop locking up when given a cold, icy stare we'll consider them.  At least there are some mid-scale offerings and more BEs are familiar with them.  Several models close to us for sub-rental.

Soundcraft?  Love the products but there's almost zero demand for them on riders.

I'd love to have an SSL Live or any of the big dog desks but we're based in a 3rd tier city where the acts expect 1st tier gear; no problem except the promoters don't want to pay for 1st tier stuff in smaller markets with lower gross potential.  Throw in that we're ~150 miles from three 2nd tier cities and it's a competitive business to be in.

Our outlook has been to buy at the top of the bottom (M32) for support act use.  We'll eventually replace our Profiles and SC48s and M7s with fewer of something nicer than the M32, and sub-rent anything else.

Edit ps:  Yes, I deliberately left out Midas's non-M32 models.
I just retired the a&h gl3800 in the club.  Being able to save scenes is the only big advantage to the new m32. ( And I guess I did get to blend short tap with long tap, but most of my mixing remains the same with using dca's instead of groups)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2018, 04:31:22 PM »

DigiCo?  As soon as they stop locking up when given a cold, icy stare we'll consider them.  At least there are some mid-scale offerings and more BEs are familiar with them.  Several models close to us for sub-rental.

I haven't seen an SD console running Core 2 lock up (fingers crossed of course).
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2018, 05:18:54 PM »

Who would pay piles for a 2290 when you can get the same thing (only better) for $349?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TC2290--tc-electronic-tc2290-dt-dynamic-delay-desktop-controller
The 2290 is one of those odd pieces of hardware like the DBX160 that seems to improve the sound even when it's not doing anything.  Put into the loop of a guitar amp the internal I/O buffers must do some kind of load matching that's not in the amp because they open up the sound in ways that contrast to how most outboard muddies it.  The VST plugin on a desk that can run it would give you the dynamic delay (which you can get nowadays elsewhere) and that interface would allow you to fly in bits like you used to be able to with a 2290, but you can't insert it into the loop of a $200,000 tube amp (or a $2000 amp for that matter)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2018, 05:18:54 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.