ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP filter in tops or bottoms?  (Read 3899 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: HP filter in tops or bottoms?
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 04:14:10 PM »

I'm not sure I agree with you 100%  ??? I want the option of being able to do a simple LR 24dB high pass or low pass on my desk's outputs.

Not what I would call system processing but something I can use as a tool to integrate different speakers into a system. Roll off the lip fill or balcony fill to match the FOH, mix and match different powered boxes especially where there is no HP out of the sub, add subs on an Aux to an existing system, delay fills where I want to roll off the LF, add a centre fill and match the HP to that on the main L+R ... etc.

If it a complete installed system then its a little different ... but even then you may want to add some more subs occasionally and a LP on the desk could be handy  :)

For "artistic" control I think the console is the appropriate device.  For system control, not.

For folks who own an "interesting collection/conglomeration" of powered speakers, a system controller is still a Very Good Idea.

The point is the console is an artistic tool, not a system tool.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:16:15 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Marr

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 07:42:12 PM »

For "artistic" control I think the console is the appropriate device.  For system control, not.

For folks who own an "interesting collection/conglomeration" of powered speakers, a system controller is still a Very Good Idea.

The point is the console is an artistic tool, not a system tool.

Again, I'm going to play devil's advocate.

Who says a console is for artistic control and not a system tool?
Why can't they be an all in one package (again, this is the Lounge, we're talking about small systems)
In the technology age we are currently in, we are constantly seeing more and more devices being merged into all-in-one solutions/platforms.
What about small systems like the latest RCF Evox?  They put mixer, processing, power and speakers all into a single package.
That may not be my cup of tea, but there are likely tons of small acoustic acts that will LOVE the simplicity of the all in one package.

Yes they are f'cked if their system goes down, and you should have proper redundancies in place.
But the original mention of this was the X32 platform.  Now a days you can pack 2 full X32 packages into systems into the front seat of a Honda Accord. 
I have full redundancy for $350 (extra X32 core)
I'm failing to see how merging devices is a bad thing for small systems.

James Paul

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 08:44:49 PM »

I have deployed X32 Racks as a stereo in, 4-way passive speaker processor, with additional ins, to foldback and fill outs. Quite capable with the onboard crossover filters, EQs, delays, polarity invert, comp/limiters, routing, on-board physical ports, expandable with SD8/16, and wireless control, all for similar or less cost than some competing stand-alone speaker processors.

As to the OP, FWIW, I typically operate the DXS18 HPF processed out at 100hz or 120hz, dependent on material, into the HPF disengaged DSR112.

John J.R. Bogle

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 12:14:15 AM »

After a quick read of this thread, Is appears nobody mentioned running "aux fed" subs (by far and away my favorite way to run a system). Most lower/mid priced DSP's aren't set up to do this function. That being the case, I vote for splitting the sub off inside the console (with both a HPF and LPF in place). Almost every powered speaker has it own internal DSP for it own designed range. How much processing can a sub really need (possibly some delay to time align them with the mains but most digital consoles provide this as well). If you try and EQ that 1 octave a sub handles to help out a room, you're trying to nail jello to a wall. A different placement (or room :)) is probably in order.

I will grant you there a few subs out there that have their own processors (Bag End comes to mind) but they are rare. In that case - yes, by all means use their processor but in most cases..........

Just my thoughts

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 01:59:12 PM »

After a quick read of this thread, Is appears nobody mentioned running "aux fed" subs (by far and away my favorite way to run a system). Most lower/mid priced DSP's aren't set up to do this function. That being the case, I vote for splitting the sub off inside the console (with both a HPF and LPF in place). Almost every powered speaker has it own internal DSP for it own designed range. How much processing can a sub really need (possibly some delay to time align them with the mains but most digital consoles provide this as well). If you try and EQ that 1 octave a sub handles to help out a room, you're trying to nail jello to a wall. A different placement (or room :)) is probably in order.

I will grant you there a few subs out there that have their own processors (Bag End comes to mind) but they are rare. In that case - yes, by all means use their processor but in most cases..........

Just my thoughts

If I wasn't getting good results using the HP in the subs, then this would be my route for sure - I know a few members run things this way. However,  I do get great results and I enjoy the simplicity of running each side from the mixer (stage box) and then daisied up to the tops. I'm pretty good at getting a good balance between the tops and bottoms too so rarely do I have to change anything once up and running.
This was really just an experiment  to make sure my set up cannot be improved upon by simply how it is configured.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 01:59:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.