ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless router  (Read 4339 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Wireless router
« on: May 17, 2018, 07:52:39 PM »

In general, how long of an Ethernet cable can I have connecting a m32 to a wireless access point?

About 100 feet would allow me to stash the box on stage closer to most of the wireless mixing.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
Re: Wireless router
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:05:45 PM »

In general, how long of an Ethernet cable can I have connecting a m32 to a wireless access point?

About 100 feet would allow me to stash the box on stage closer to most of the wireless mixing.

Ethernet is typically rated for up to ~300 feet.  You should be perfectly fine at 100 ft with CAT5E or better cable between the M32 and AP.

Jeff

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:48:24 PM »

Ethernet is typically rated for up to ~300 feet.  You should be perfectly fine at 100 ft with CAT5E or better cable between the M32 and AP.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, do you happen to have a brand/model recommendation for a router. I am almost paralyzed by the sheer number of brands and models that seem to do the same thing.

I am not interested in POE as power is close by. I would like to mount it to a truss above the stage. I see lots of options about $100 but I am not sure what makes one different from the others.

Jay Barracato

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:22:32 PM »

Thanks Jeff, do you happen to have a brand/model recommendation for a router. I am almost paralyzed by the sheer number of brands and models that seem to do the same thing.

I am not interested in POE as power is close by. I would like to mount it to a truss above the stage. I see lots of options about $100 but I am not sure what makes one different from the others.

You want PoE so you don't have to deal with power up the AP.  You don't want a router you want an access point.  Ubiquity Unifi-Pro about $100
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 11:36:33 PM »

Anything from Ubiquiti that you can figure out how to configure.  Vast array of settings.

Simpler but requires a specific IP address on the computer you configure with:  EnGenius.  That said, unless you go enterprise grade EnGenius Networks stuff will work pretty much right out of the box.

You should be able to get about 180ft with stranded UTP and 100m with solid UTP.  I've found Cable Matters patch (stranded) CAT5e to lie flatter and are easier to work with than some of the other budget choices.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 11:38:12 PM »

You want PoE so you don't have to deal with power up the AP.  You don't want a router you want an access point.  Ubiquity Unifi-Pro about $100
Does this need the specific ubiquity software? Or can it be configured by hitting an IP. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 12:33:02 AM »

Does this need the specific ubiquity software? Or can it be configured by hitting an IP. 

No you have to use the software?  Is that a show stopper for you?

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 12:42:18 AM »

If one is not a network technician, probably.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 05:51:52 AM »

Scott , I have yet to see the ubiquiti for less than $200. Can you give me a link?

And why is POE an advantage when I am 2 ft from available power?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:54:00 AM by Jay Barracato »
Jay Barracato

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 07:25:23 AM »

It is. I messed around for 2 hours with that software trying to turn off EEE on a switch. It launched once, then it simply wouldn’t not open again.... no matter how many times I uninstalled and reinstalled, cleared registry components, it would not launch again. Finally I move to a different computer, and boom it worked fine as designed.... only to find out EEE couldn’t be disabled.

I gave it the old college try.   Like Rob, I also gave up on the ubiquity bullet. I was able to get that one to work well enough I suppose, but some devices had difficulty discovering it. The engenous APs on the other hand have been rock solid for 4 years now even in the middle of 90,000 some folks.

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 09:08:10 AM »

I am just starting the braindrizzling process. If I place a combo router/AP high outside my FOH booth, it is farther from most wireless mix points, but still no more than 75ft line of sight. That would also allow me to hardwire a computer for additional control.

For the record, this is a full sized m32 installed in a booth that I don't mind but many visiting techs hate. Wireless gives those visitors a during show option freeing them from being in the booth.

For my part, other than mixing monitors on stage, my biggest personal use would probably be taking the tablet to stage while troubleshooting to mute/unmute things.

Jay Barracato

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 10:47:29 AM »

If all you need is a single Ethernet connection (back to your router/desk), we've had the best luck with the Apple Airport Express. It's $79 and it just works. It's tiny, to boot.

Been using them for 5-6 years now, zero issues. Ultra-reliable. Have used them at outdoor venues with 2500-3000 people, no problems at all.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 12:24:34 PM »

It is. I messed around for 2 hours with that software trying to turn off EEE on a switch. It launched once, then it simply wouldn’t not open again.... no matter how many times I uninstalled and reinstalled, cleared registry components, it would not launch again. Finally I move to a different computer, and boom it worked fine as designed.... only to find out EEE couldn’t be disabled.

I gave it the old college try.   Like Rob, I also gave up on the ubiquity bullet. I was able to get that one to work well enough I suppose, but some devices had difficulty discovering it. The engenous APs on the other hand have been rock solid for 4 years now even in the middle of 90,000 some folks.

That's really odd.  I use one at my house,  we have them at every office on four contients and have used them in nursing homes to elementru schools.  They are as good as the Cisco's I swore by for years.  I used Cisco when I first started with the x32's like 5 years ago.

The uqiquity has held up for me

The Unifi are not point to point so. Eee is not an issue..

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »

A few points...

I have had great success with the Unifi Pro AC units. I have 2 in my house and 7 at a clients house. I love them but the form factor isnt suitable for portable use.

I have had poor results with the UAP-AC mesh units. Dropouts for no apparent reason and much harder to configure (for me) than the above APs. I may try again some day.

Scott, while i agree that technically a router isnt needed for most of our audio networks, i find it doesnt hurt and is invaluable back in the shop.

Having the router means that back in the shop, i can simply plug the WAN port in to the shop (or home) network and the audio net now has Internet access for downloading updates and such without needing to reconfigure any of the audio net devices. This also removes any inconvenience of having static ip addresses on most of the audio net devices (excluding wireless tablets and such).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John L Nobile

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 03:07:07 PM »

Doesn't an access point need to be plugged into a router/controller? Where else would it get an IP address?

I use a Netgear wireless router backstage for my network. I have my DSP and monitor X32 patched to it. Having extra ports is essential for me. I keep another w/less router at FOH for the X32 there cause I'm too lazy to run another cable.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 03:17:58 PM »

Doesn't an access point need to be plugged into a router/controller? Where else would it get an IP address?

I use a Netgear wireless router backstage for my network. I have my DSP and monitor X32 patched to it. Having extra ports is essential for me. I keep another w/less router at FOH for the X32 there cause I'm too lazy to run another cable.

The AP should have a static IP.  I typically don't run DHCP.  Less you leave to chance.   I send the Ipads out with a single SSID, manually programmed and a static IP with no gateway.  This eliminates any BS.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John L Nobile

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 03:35:27 PM »

The AP should have a static IP. 

Agreed. But how would you connect multiple devices to an access point unless there was a router/controller in the network?

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 04:50:04 PM »

If you use Android Scanfi Wifi App for phone is a great tool to look at what channels are busy
and what channels are best to use in your venue.

It is free.

I do not think it is available for IOS.

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 11:01:29 PM »

Agreed. But how would you connect multiple devices to an access point unless there was a router/controller in the network?

The router has nothing to do with it. Things on an Ethernet can find each other. The router is only needed to go to another network.

For an earlier question, DHCP service is also not a router function..

For those playing at home...
What we refer to as a router is actually a box with
1) a router
2) a network switch
3) an Access Point
4) a DHCP server
5) a network firewall

It may have other functions too such as a web server or main server

Scott points out that if everything is configured with an assigned address, no DHCP is needed. Also, if everything is on a single network, no router needed either. All you need is a switch and if wifi access is needed, an access point.

On a gig, i use the Access Point, Switch, and DHCP part of my “Router”.

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 01:04:52 AM »

Yea, I have several bands that mix their own IEMs (and even some wedges) from our QU-24 with up to seven simultaneous iPhone connections. DHCP may well be riskier than static IP but a lot less convenient for my needs.
..db

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 01:09:38 AM »

As Rob pointed out, a router is used to connect two networks together, like your LAN to the Internet.

Devices on the same network already know how to talk to each other.  That's what the subnet mask does.

All you need is a switch to connect everything together. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 01:11:32 AM »

Yea, I have several bands that mix their own IEMs (and even some wedges) from our QU-24 with up to seven simultaneous iPhone connections. DHCP may well be riskier than static IP but a lot less convenient for my needs.
It's not a matter of security.   It's one less bit of overhead.  If you have bands connecting then run DHCP but still use a static IP on your tablet.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »

It's not a matter of security.   It's one less bit of overhead.  If you have bands connecting then run DHCP but still use a static IP on your tablet.

Or, to expand, use static addresses on anything you can.
I only use it on my tablet because, unlike Scott, my tablet isnt dedicated to audio. In fact i am typing this on it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.