ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which PRX or SRX speakers for mobile DJ  (Read 4552 times)

Vinny Dell'Accio

Which PRX or SRX speakers for mobile DJ
« on: May 17, 2018, 07:10:34 PM »

Hi everyone,

Looking to grab some sales or B-stock to get an active PA system, thinking of the following for mobile DJ and occasional outside work.   Was told to avoid 2-way 15s and the 2-way 12s can rarely work solo so I am thinking of either the PRX835 or SRX835 and add subs for big jobs and outdoors or get a great 2-way 12 and have to bring subs most of the time, PRX is much lighter, going with SRX may be better off just getting the PRX835 or SRX835s.

2 SRX835 possibly add 2 SRX818 or 1 SRX828 (heavier but may only need tops for 90% of jobs)
2 SRX812 over 1-2  SRX818 (medium weight but more pieces)
2 PRX835 possibly add 1-2 PRX715XLF or PRX718XLF (lighter weight, particularly with 15"sub, but does 3-way bring sound close to SRX series and tops good enough for 80% of jobs)
2 PRX712 over 1-2 PRX715XLF or PRX718XLF (lightest weight, particularly with 15"sub, but is sound good enough)

Any help appreciated, right now I do mostly volunteer work but eventually I want to go pro again.  Thanks.

Vinny D.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Which PRX or SRX speakers for mobile DJ
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 07:39:08 PM »

Hi everyone,

Looking to grab some sales or B-stock to get an active PA system, thinking of the following for mobile DJ and occasional outside work.   Was told to avoid 2-way 15s and the 2-way 12s can rarely work solo so I am thinking of either the PRX835 or SRX835 and add subs for big jobs and outdoors or get a great 2-way 12 and have to bring subs most of the time, PRX is much lighter, going with SRX may be better off just getting the PRX835 or SRX835s.

2 SRX835 possibly add 2 SRX818 or 1 SRX828 (heavier but may only need tops for 90% of jobs)
2 SRX812 over 1-2  SRX818 (medium weight but more pieces)
2 PRX835 possibly add 1-2 PRX715XLF or PRX718XLF (lighter weight, particularly with 15"sub, but does 3-way bring sound close to SRX series and tops good enough for 80% of jobs)
2 PRX712 over 1-2 PRX715XLF or PRX718XLF (lightest weight, particularly with 15"sub, but is sound good enough)

Any help appreciated, right now I do mostly volunteer work but eventually I want to go pro again.  Thanks.

Vinny D.
If I were you I'd change my posting name to my real name as per the forum rules before the moderator locks the thread. Then you'll get some quality answers to help you out ... Welcome.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:49:28 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Vinny Dell'Accio

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 04:43:38 PM »

Debbie,  Thanks for your note.  I spent a little time to check all the profile settings and changed my profile to include my full name.  Vinny

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 07:05:09 PM »

Vinny, "it depends."  What kind of music do you play?  If it is EDM or similar bass-heavy music, I respectfully suggest you better get subs from the start. SRX828, if you can deal with the size and weight.  If you have subs, then a 12" top will work well. Rule of thumb, a double 18" sub will keep up with a top, indoors. Two doubles per top outdoors.

I have PRX612 tops, and four PRX618sxlf subs.  If you aren't playing bass-heavy music, one sub per top. My PRX615 tops only go on rental jobs where they can't take subs, or are playing live accoustic music.

FWIW, I am not a dj; but I cross-rent to a buddy who is.  He rents my subs to add to his pair of single 18" subs and 12" tops.  YMMV. Good luck, have fun.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Matthias McCready

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 02:28:20 AM »

First of all the SRX812 and SRX835 have different coverage patterns. The 812 is a 90 degree box (one per side) and the 835 is a 60 degree box (so either very narrow coverage with one per side or two per side for fuller coverage).

Note: for the 835 adding the second box per side would not make it louder, it would just add coverage. Additionally having 4x 835's vs 2 812's would not be a significant increase in volume, perhaps not even noticeable.

I like the weight of 812 a lot, it is not overly heavy. They cross over nicely with sub.

The SRX800 series are fairly detailed, not quite like my listening system, but closer than many PA speakers.

Just an FYI, the SRX828 is decently large. Most SUV's and pickups would only fit one... maybe two. Not sure what you currently have for transportation.

Also, do you have a dealer? A good dealer will get you prices well below list.

If you do not have one Mike Pyle is a member of the forums here and he is a great guy to work with.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 10:25:57 AM »

I use PRX and SRX series boxes.
My take: BOTH series are great speakers for different applications but here are my observations....

You mention PRX700 series but unless you have a supplier of old new stock or you can find good used, you will be looking at the PRX800 series equivalents.

My PRX718xlf's are my go to subs for smallish bars - great form factor for small places - tall but not as deep as the SRX818's so they take up less real estate. However, the SRX will go lower, louder (marginally) and has a tighter more defined thump to it. This can make it a bit easier to tame in a room with bad acoustics. The SRX828 is fantastic value for money as it is basically 2x 818's but less money. However, no pole cup and of course much heavier than one 818 - although less than 2 so transport is a consideration. Also, it make sit easier to load in and out using 2 people. It can be done with one but there is a bit of a knack to it.

I used to own a pair of PRX715xlf's and they were great little subs - lightweight with a nice tone to them - but I only used them in the smallest of bars. I started to use just 1 PRX718xlf instead of the 2 715xlf's more and more so I sold them as they weren't getting used. They also made great drum monitors coupled with a PRX712. I miss that aspect sometimes ( which wouldn't affect you).

When I purchased my SRX815's, I had considered the SRX835's but due to the coverage as pointed out by Mathias, I didn't feel I'd be able to realize the benefit without purchasing 2 per side. Also, the 815's are easier to deploy. I have never regretted the decision although it would have been nice to be able to afford 4 835's AND the 815's - LOL.
Since then I have purchased a pair of the SRX812's and they have been great. Only 1db less then the 815'2 - so not even audible to the human ear, and  a bit lighter too so easier to get up on stands (certainly easier to take down at the end of the night ). I tend to use the 812's inside and the 815's outside mainly. BOTH work great and crossover well with the SRX subs - 818 or 828.
This past NYE our band played a ballroom and I was contracted to let the DJ play through my rig for the rest of the night and early hours of the morning. The place was kicking!!! The DJ LOVED the sound and so did the crowd - lots of compliments. I used my SRX828, 2x SX818 and my 2 x SRX815's.
..... I don't think you'd be disappointed either way but remember unless you are getting 4 835's or playing narrow long rooms, you will get better coverage from the 812 or 815.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Vinny Dell'Accio

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 09:55:37 PM »

I use PRX and SRX series boxes.
My take: BOTH series are great speakers for different applications but here are my observations....

You mention PRX700 series but unless you have a supplier of old new stock or you can find good used, you will be looking at the PRX800 series equivalents.

My PRX718xlf's are my go to subs for smallish bars - great form factor for small places - tall but not as deep as the SRX818's so they take up less real estate. However, the SRX will go lower, louder (marginally) and has a tighter more defined thump to it. This can make it a bit easier to tame in a room with bad acoustics. The SRX828 is fantastic value for money as it is basically 2x 818's but less money. However, no pole cup and of course much heavier than one 818 - although less than 2 so transport is a consideration. Also, it make sit easier to load in and out using 2 people. It can be done with one but there is a bit of a knack to it.

I used to own a pair of PRX715xlf's and they were great little subs - lightweight with a nice tone to them - but I only used them in the smallest of bars. I started to use just 1 PRX718xlf instead of the 2 715xlf's more and more so I sold them as they weren't getting used. They also made great drum monitors coupled with a PRX712. I miss that aspect sometimes ( which wouldn't affect you).

When I purchased my SRX815's, I had considered the SRX835's but due to the coverage as pointed out by Mathias, I didn't feel I'd be able to realize the benefit without purchasing 2 per side. Also, the 815's are easier to deploy. I have never regretted the decision although it would have been nice to be able to afford 4 835's AND the 815's - LOL.
Since then I have purchased a pair of the SRX812's and they have been great. Only 1db less then the 815'2 - so not even audible to the human ear, and  a bit lighter too so easier to get up on stands (certainly easier to take down at the end of the night ). I tend to use the 812's inside and the 815's outside mainly. BOTH work great and crossover well with the SRX subs - 818 or 828.
This past NYE our band played a ballroom and I was contracted to let the DJ play through my rig for the rest of the night and early hours of the morning. The place was kicking!!! The DJ LOVED the sound and so did the crowd - lots of compliments. I used my SRX828, 2x SX818 and my 2 x SRX815's.
..... I don't think you'd be disappointed either way but remember unless you are getting 4 835's or playing narrow long rooms, you will get better coverage from the 812 or 815.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 09:55:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.