ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yanni vs Laurel  (Read 2414 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Yanni vs Laurel
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 12:15:02 pm »

Most folks I have spoken to and from what I have read hear Laurel - only a few like me hear Yanni. My daughter hears only Yanni.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 12:26:34 pm »

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 12:31:59 pm »

I heard nothing but Yanni on my cheap PC speakers. Then on my way home frorm work yestrday, the radio staion I was listening to played and I clearly heard only Laurel on my bass heavy car stereo.

I am curious if people sharing the same sound source in the same room ever hear it differently?
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 12:42:58 pm »

I heard nothing but Yanni on my cheap PC speakers. Then on my way home frorm work yestrday, the radio staion I was listening to played and I clearly heard only Laurel on my bass heavy car stereo.

I am curious if people sharing the same sound source in the same room ever hear it differently?

I did this yesterday Scott. I played it on my good quality system with sub- and Chris heard Laurel and I heard Yanni.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 01:08:51 pm »

I'm hearing Laurel. With the boost in the video swept into the kHz range, I got Yanni. It did sound like a weird recording artifact, though, and listening to the original again, Yanni is there, but 10-15dB down compared to the very obvious Laurel.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 01:36:21 pm »

Human perception is always willing to fill in the missing information trying to make sense of bad or incomplete input. There is apparently a lot of common information shared by the two words. What we perceive depends somewhat on how we fill in the missing gaps, somewhat on media playback integrity, but the recording is intentionally challenged to create the ambiguous perception. 

I don't think there is a correct answer while reportedly the original word was Laurel several corrupted media generations ago. YMMV

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

David Allred

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 02:00:06 pm »

The hearer's ears play a huge part in this.  If I have deficiencies in one band or sensitivities in another I will hear differently than others.
It is a neat phenomenon.  The weirdest thing is that someone found (or thought to look for this).  Satanic rituals, I say.  ;D

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 02:06:23 pm »

another side to this if you use the iPhone and headphones, lots of the people have the eq selected in settings for bass boost or other selections so they are not listening the the  flat recording and have a system that is boosting to help their hearing needs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 02:17:37 pm »

The hearer's ears play a huge part in this.  If I have deficiencies in one band or sensitivities in another I will hear differently than others.
It is a neat phenomenon.  The weirdest thing is that someone found (or thought to look for this).  Satanic rituals, I say.  ;D
Internet click bait, not unlike that dress visual perception trick that looked like different color combinations to different people.  Life is short but people still have too much time on their hands.

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 02:25:59 pm »

Most folks I have spoken to and from what I have read hear Laurel - only a few like me hear Yanni. My daughter hears only Yanni.
All i could hear is Yanni no matter how many times I played it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 02:25:59 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.