ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yanni vs Laurel  (Read 5240 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Yanni vs Laurel
« on: May 17, 2018, 03:20:19 PM »

So normally I don't jump on these internet  sensations but this is messing with me. has anyone else listened to the sound bite?
The reason I bring it up here is because it is definitely relevant based on my findings...
I downloaded it to Logic Pro and messed around with it.  If I enhance around 500hz - 1k, I can hear Laurel but if not I hear Yanni.
What is extra weird is that if I enhance that frequency and then slowly bring it down to 0, I then hear a blend of the 2 an cannot hear Yanni alone until I walk away and leave it a while - then I hear Yanni again.... this is fun stuff...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Yanni vs Laurel
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 04:27:38 PM »

So normally I don't jump on these internet  sensations but this is messing with me. has anyone else listened to the sound bite?
The reason I bring it up here is because it is definitely relevant based on my findings...
I downloaded it to Logic Pro and messed around with it.  If I enhance around 500hz - 1k, I can hear Laurel but if not I hear Yanni.
What is extra weird is that if I enhance that frequency and then slowly bring it down to 0, I then hear a blend of the 2 an cannot hear Yanni alone until I walk away and leave it a while - then I hear Yanni again.... this is fun stuff...

Link please?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Gary Weller

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 06:35:36 PM »

thanks Len - sorry Dave   :(

According to the creator it's Laurel.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 06:39:06 PM »

thanks Len - sorry Dave   :(
Debbie,

Interesting, I couldn't hear "Yanni" at all (and I know the guy..) but after listening to the boosted upper harmonics starting 10:43 in on this video I could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RC_7eSncvY

And now can "kind of" hear "yanny" even without processing.

Pitching down between 130 to 160 on this video also made for a shift from "laurel" to "yanny", though that didn't make me aware of "yanny" in the unaltered "laurel" recording.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZH31ijVuvg

Fun stuff!

Art
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:42:27 PM by Art Welter »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 06:52:22 PM »

Debbie,

Interesting, I couldn't hear "Yanni" at all (and I know the guy..) but after listening to the boosted upper harmonics starting 10:43 in on this video I could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RC_7eSncvY

And now can "kind of" hear "yanny" even without processing.

Pitching down between 130 to 160 on this video also made for a shift from "laurel" to "yanny", though that didn't make me aware of "yanny" in the unaltered "laurel" recording.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZH31ijVuvg

Fun stuff!

Art

It's so weird Art.. I have the EQ set with just enough lower frequencies to hear Laurel  (bearing in mind  I can normally hear Yanni) so that I can switch it on and off as I play the loop - and can literally go back and forth from Yanni to Laurel.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 07:05:25 PM »

Interesting, a producer friend just posted on FB that with more low content you hear Laurel.  Which I couldn't hear at all over the TV last night when Fallon was playing it.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 09:31:32 PM »

My wife and I heard it while watching TV last night. Our TV audio uses a regular stereo system with fairly large 3 way speaker cabinets (about 14 inches wide by 30 tall. Don't know what is on the insides.)
My wife heard only Laurel and I heard only Yanni.
Playing some of the links posted here using my office stereo, I hear mainly Laurel. Only on the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZH31ijVuvg link do I hear any Yanni tonight, and only from about 25 to 38 seconds into the clip. Playing with the bass and treble controls on my stereo didn't seem to make much difference.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 09:45:04 PM »

I just listened to this for the first time(been hearing about it for a few days now) and all I hear is Laurel. Also listened to the clips Art linked and again all I hear is Laurel with some weird sound effects in the background as the boost is swept through. Maybe it is my listening device.. a laptop which has pretty poor speakers, but maybe that limited bandwidth filters out some of distractions that make people hear other things.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 09:45:04 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.