ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front Fill Choices  (Read 5914 times)

Ben Easler

Front Fill Choices
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:19:32 AM »

Hi All,
I am looking to add some front fills to our auditorium theater. These will mainly be used for vocals for the front section during musical productions as the musical pit orchestra is seated in a traditional in ground pit -  below  the stage level in the area in front of the performers. This results in vocals that can be difficult to hear in the first couple of rows as the down fills of the mains do not hit these areas quite enough in some cases. I am looking at 3-4 speakers depending on the speaker throw.
Anyway, I have read many of the old threads here on front fills and have chosen a couple that are on the affordable end and am wondering if there are any more recommendations or if you could help me choose between the two.
I am thinking either three of the EV EVU-2062/95:
https://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1124&geodenied=1
Or four Vue Audiotechnik i-2×4.5
http://www.vueaudio.com/products/i-2x4-5-2/

Thoughts?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Front Fill Choices
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »

I have read many of the old threads here on front fills and have chosen a couple that are on the affordable end and am wondering if there are any more recommendations or if you could help me choose between the two.

Thoughts?
Ben,

Both look like good choices, my concern would be the i-2×4.5 would not have enough output level. With only 88 dB sensitivity, and 240 watt peak power, their peak output level is only around the acoustic level of a vocalist, which I just confirmed with a dB meter and my voice :^).

The EVU-2062/95 has around 10dB more output- twice as loud. The EV horn directivity would also help keep some undesired high frequency out of the pit.

Art

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 02:56:43 PM »

I love my RCF TT052a for front fill duty.

They may not be on the affordable end for you if you already have amps.

Hi All,
I am looking to add some front fills to our auditorium theater. These will mainly be used for vocals for the front section during musical productions as the musical pit orchestra is seated in a traditional in ground pit -  below  the stage level in the area in front of the performers. This results in vocals that can be difficult to hear in the first couple of rows as the down fills of the mains do not hit these areas quite enough in some cases. I am looking at 3-4 speakers depending on the speaker throw.
Anyway, I have read many of the old threads here on front fills and have chosen a couple that are on the affordable end and am wondering if there are any more recommendations or if you could help me choose between the two.
https://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1124&geodenied=1
http://www.vueaudio.com/products/i-2x4-5-2/

Thoughts?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Robert Healey

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 12:41:00 PM »

What are the mains?

EAW JF80 is the traditional go-to front fill but are more new than your other choices.

I have used the EV EVU series as underbalconies with good results, but never that exact model. They transition pretty transparently from EV EVH and EVF mains.

Ben Easler

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 09:34:16 AM »

What are the mains?

EAW JF80 is the traditional go-to front fill but are more new than your other choices.

I have used the EV EVU series as underbalconies with good results, but never that exact model. They transition pretty transparently from EV EVH and EVF mains.
Thanks - I have heard some EVU systems and thought they worked well. I have not heard the Vue products anywhere yet. The mains are Renkus Heinz ST4. We have their fills in the upper area for fill. I think PNX82 off the top of my head but they are a bit more than I want to spend on this particular project.

Robert Healey

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »

Thanks - I have heard some EVU systems and thought they worked well. I have not heard the Vue products anywhere yet. The mains are Renkus Heinz ST4. We have their fills in the upper area for fill. I think PNX82 off the top of my head but they are a bit more than I want to spend on this particular project.

Renkus has the lower-budget CX62 and the mid-range TX62 which are similar to the options you are evaluating and should be a lot less than the PNX82.

Ben Easler

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 07:58:59 AM »

Renkus has the lower-budget CX62 and the mid-range TX62 which are similar to the options you are evaluating and should be a lot less than the PNX82.
Thanks for that recommendation. One of them may fit the bill well.

Ben Easler

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 09:58:00 AM »

Thanks for that recommendation. One of them may fit the bill well.
One more question on those though..their pattern is listed as 150x60 but looks as though they may be designed to stand rather than lay horizontally so on its side would only have 60 coverage. Is that right? It doesn't appear to be able to rotate but maybe I am missing something.

Robert Healey

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »

One more question on those though..their pattern is listed as 150x60 but looks as though they may be designed to stand rather than lay horizontally so on its side would only have 60 coverage. Is that right? It doesn't appear to be able to rotate but maybe I am missing something.

If you look at the user manual for the CX62, page 5, it gives instructions on rotating the horn.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »

Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 11:33:58 PM »

Take a look at On Point Audio models:

http://onesystems.com/products/opa-28-np/

http://onesystems.com/products/opa-8-np/

+1 on these. I just used those exact speakers as mains and fills for a smallish church. Impressive output for their size and required very little EQ to sound nice. I remember thinking, "No way could these get loud enough... They're tiny." Everyone was surprised when we fired them up for the first time.

Ben Easler

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 10:13:25 AM »

+1 on these. I just used those exact speakers as mains and fills for a smallish church. Impressive output for their size and required very little EQ to sound nice. I remember thinking, "No way could these get loud enough... They're tiny." Everyone was surprised when we fired them up for the first time.
Those seem to have pretty decent specs but the conical coverage pattern seems less ideal than the EV or Renkus options. Would you agree with that thought?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 01:47:32 PM »

I use Vue Audiotechnik i-2X4.5 and I love them. Sound amazing and are about as low profile as it gets.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 03:36:06 PM »

Those seem to have pretty decent specs but the conical coverage pattern seems less ideal than the EV or Renkus options. Would you agree with that thought?

Remember with speakers as small as these, the nominal coverage pattern is only maintained in the top couple of octaves (roughly), and coverage will be wider just about everywhere below that.
The EV you mention in your 1st post for example has over 90o vertical coverage everywhere below 5kHz.

Always check the polars/beamwidth graph on the spec sheets as well as the freq response etc.
HTH,
David.

MikeHarris

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 07:56:25 AM »

I use Vue Audiotechnik i-2X4.5 and I love them. Sound amazing and are about as low profile as it gets.
i have used them as church front fill built into the steps.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 07:56:25 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.