ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some advice please...  (Read 3906 times)

Kyle van dyk

Need some advice please...
« on: May 16, 2018, 04:03:24 PM »

Hi guys!

Seeking some advise please. I have two powered jbl eon 615s, one 18" passive bass bin and a synq 2k2 amp. I want to know how exactly I would connect everything up to my numark mixtrack pro 3 DJ controller.?

I was doing a bit of research, most websites I went on are saying I should get a D.I box to convert the unbalanced rca signal from the controller to a balanced signal to run to the JBL eons as the quality of sound won't be good running an unbalanced signal straight from the dj controller to the JBL eons, especially 10m cable or longer. But what I want to know is what is the best way to connect an external amp to run the passive sub and still run the powered eons.?

Is it possible to run the rca from the dj controller to the DI box. Then run the left balanced signal cable to one eon and the right signal cable to the other eon. Then from the eons run a cable from the THRU output   of each speaker into a crossover > amp > passive bass bin.? Just an idea I have but not to sure if it's the best or safest way. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, best regards!  :D

Stephen Kirby

Re: Need some advice please...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 04:10:35 PM »

You'll need a crossover or system controller to separate the line level signals into highs and lows for the Eons and and the amp driving the sub.  I'm not familiar with that amp.  Some may have a low pass that allows for use with a sub.  But I don't think the EONs have a high pass to keep the bass frequencies out of them.

This is all pretty budget stuff so I'm figuring that you don't have much money.  I'd look around for a DBX Driverack PA2 (not the original PA model) or the Beheringer unit.

Having a DI box to convert the single ended RCA outputs of the DJ mixer to balanced XLR is a good idea.  Especially if there's much more that 6' of cable between the two.  A stereo Radial DI would be great.  But will also cost some money.  Beware of cheap DIs as the small budget transformers won't transfer bass as well.  Which can be a liability in a DJ system.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 05:14:11 PM »

You might consider a small mixer, as some DJ mixers don't have a ton of output, which can translate into not much volume for the powered speakers.  It would also remove the need for a DI.  A&H and Soundcraft have decent small inexpensive mixers.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 05:18:56 PM »

The ART DTI is a great budget DI box for your purpose. I use them all the time for DJ consoles.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 07:00:58 PM »

You might consider a small mixer, as some DJ mixers don't have a ton of output, which can translate into not much volume for the powered speakers.  It would also remove the need for a DI.  A&H and Soundcraft have decent small inexpensive mixers.

This.

Kyle van dyk

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 04:20:21 AM »

Hi than
You'll need a crossover or system controller to separate the line level signals into highs and lows for the Eons and and the amp driving the sub.  I'm not familiar with that amp.  Some may have a low pass that allows for use with a sub.  But I don't think the EONs have a high pass to keep the bass frequencies out of them.

This is all pretty budget stuff so I'm figuring that you don't have much money.  I'd look around for a DBX Driverack PA2 (not the original PA model) or the Beheringer unit.

Having a DI box to convert the single ended RCA outputs of the DJ mixer to balanced XLR is a good idea.  Especially if there's much more that 6' of cable between the two.  A stereo Radial DI would be great.  But will also cost some money.  Beware of cheap DIs as the small budget transformers won't transfer bass as well.  Which can be a liability in a DJ system.

Hi all thanks for the replies, I am on quite a tight budget and also would like the setup to be as simple as possible. I am definitely going to get a crossover. But if I do, would I connect it straight from my controller to the crossover...and then from the crossover to the eons and a separate sub output to the amp that will run the bass bin? So basically I wouldn't need a DI box because the crossover would be pushing out balanced signals already?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 05:39:19 AM »

Yes, that is correct.

Steve Garris

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 02:03:25 PM »

Hi than
Hi all thanks for the replies, I am on quite a tight budget and also would like the setup to be as simple as possible. I am definitely going to get a crossover. But if I do, would I connect it straight from my controller to the crossover...and then from the crossover to the eons and a separate sub output to the amp that will run the bass bin? So basically I wouldn't need a DI box because the crossover would be pushing out balanced signals already?

Thanks again for all the advice.

You don't have to spend a lot to get a usable crossover:
https://goo.gl/Rz1mWY

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »

DI box is not a best answer either because it is loading for a guitar or instrument.  50:1  so a 1:1 may be a better transformer for this application.  Radial makes a PC DI that would have a better transformer for this application.  Whirlwind and others.

Kyle van dyk

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 07:23:06 AM »

Hi Steve, yes I was looking at getting that exact crossover as it has stereo function and sub out and is fairly cheap. The only thing is that I looked at some pictures online and it only has one xlr male input which I don't understand if it was stereo surely there should be 2 inputs? Hi Jerome I was looking at this DI box not to sure it'll do the job?

https://synq-audio.com/sdi-1

Thanks, best regards

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 07:23:06 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.