ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DiVentix 2 - DVI to SDI conversion - Edge Blending  (Read 5350 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
DiVentix 2 - DVI to SDI conversion - Edge Blending
« on: May 12, 2018, 01:21:14 PM »

tl;dr

Old:
Mac-Mini (VGA) > input 6 (DVX2) > Out1/2 (DVI) > Analogue Way DVI extender > DVI cable > Projector
1024x768 > 1600x1200 4/3 x2 edge blended.

New:
Mac-Mini (VGA) > input 6 (DVX2) > Out1/2 (SDI) > BM Micro Converter > HDMI > DVI > Projector

---

Can't be HDCP issues as the VGA input isn't HDCP protected.

I've tried different output formats. None seem to work.

I bet the decimator converters would have worked...too bad its out of stock :(

---

Story:
One of the DVI cables failed (flickering/stability issues). Tech director asked me to run convert to SDI and run new cables. Sure, no prob.

I confirmed with analogue way that the BM converters should work no problem before even starting down the path. I feel I've done my due diligence. Now what am I doing wrong?

Video is never that simple though, hah.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: DiVentix 2 - DVI to SDI conversion - Edge Blending
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 05:25:23 PM »

If there is good signal with DVX2, then is the SDI cable good and appropriate for the distance?

We've had some issues with BMD converters, have you tried an MD-HX (I think they're still in stock)? 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 07:49:46 PM »

If there is good signal with DVX2, then is the SDI cable good and appropriate for the distance?

We've had some issues with BMD converters, have you tried an MD-HX (I think they're still in stock)? 

That's the thing, with a 2ft cable it won't work using SDI into BMD into dvi monitor.

DIV output works, I called analogue way making sure the SDI output was always on. Both support SMPTE 259M so in theory it should just work.

I might have to try the md-hx but at 3x the cost it's a hard sell compared to the lx or cheaper BMD.

For Sunday I'm going to try using the cat5e they ran with some tx/rx I have. Im worried about the long run and not shielded, so we shall see. I might try the 1694a I ran in an analogue configuration.

*shrug* outta ideas.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »

This seems like a “simple” resolution mismatch...

When going out over SDI, what is your output resolution set to? If it’s anything but a video signal, it won’t work.

BMD doesn’t typically like VESA (graphics) resolutions, only SMPTE/PAL (video).

BMD gear also standardizes on SDI type B, vs basically everything else at type A. Maybe you can tweak this in the converter settings?

The DVI extender you used to use could handle both VESA and SMPTE, probably up to 1920x1200/60 and/or 1920x1080p/60. The new converters cannot.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 11:16:58 PM »

Nathan,

I think Jordan is right.  I dealt with all this BS and came to two conclusions. 

1 - Use a scaler and convert your input to the projection resolution. 

2 - Keep the resolution consistent from the switcher to the projector.  Use only a native resolution of the projector.

3 - Use a projector with an SDI input.

I have had equal luck with high end scalers as I have with $100 Chinese units.

I love the BMD switcher. 

I picked up a pair of of Christie 8k projectors from Wyatt from A2D (another labster) and it really moved our video chops up to being able to do larger events.

Don't bother buying a screen, you will never have the size you need.  Fast folds are FedEx shippable.  Work with a local company or get an account with VER. 

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 11:33:31 PM »

This seems like a “simple” resolution mismatch...

When going out over SDI, what is your output resolution set to? If it’s anything but a video signal, it won’t work.

BMD doesn’t typically like VESA (graphics) resolutions, only SMPTE/PAL (video).

BMD gear also standardizes on SDI type B, vs basically everything else at type A. Maybe you can tweak this in the converter settings?

The DVI extender you used to use could handle both VESA and SMPTE, probably up to 1920x1200/60 and/or 1920x1080p/60. The new converters cannot.

Thanks, it was 1600 x 1200 (4:3), but I saw that BMD wouldn't like that signal type so I tried all the other output resolutions to no avail.

I read the tech sheet saying it should auto switch between type B/A, I was considering grabbing the software and checking the converter settings. But all they had were macs and I didn't have my laptop. I'll try that next. Thanks!

Good to know VESA vs SMPTE/PAL (I admit my understandings of the types are rudimentary). I kinda ascertained that it wouldn't like the 4:3 sizes based upon the SDI sheets stating specifically 1080p/60 and it's multiples/59.97 etc.

What bothers me was the extra output for local multiview which is set for 1080p never worked either. Perhaps it will if I force it to go type A? [I should read up on this]

My fix for now is running HDMI extenders on the CAT5e control cables that were run, but never used.

Yeah, so hilariously the DVI extender works without even being plugged in (at-least the non-broken one).

I should have anticipated this hassle with SDI and pushed back on converting "because digital/SDI is so much better"...

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 11:37:15 PM »

Nathan,

I think Jordan is right.  I dealt with all this BS and came to two conclusions. 

1 - Use a scaler and convert your input to the projection resolution. 

2 - Keep the resolution consistent from the switcher to the projector.  Use only a native resolution of the projector.

3 - Use a projector with an SDI input.

I have had equal luck with high end scalers as I have with $100 Chinese units.

I love the BMD switcher. 

I picked up a pair of of Christie 8k projectors from Wyatt from A2D (another labster) and it really moved our video chops up to being able to do larger events.

Don't bother buying a screen, you will never have the size you need.  Fast folds are FedEx shippable.  Work with a local company or get an account with VER. 

Ugh, couldn't have said it better. Do perfectly right from the start and don't mess with it. hah!

Part of my problem is the edge-blending is needed and the projectors are 4:3 so they require the weird VESA/graphic sizes.

I might have to run Cat6 STP and doing HDBaseT instead of SDI if the resolutions won't work with SDI. Either that or scale at the projector with Decimators.

Though I loathe the thought of running more cable as the run is quite a bear.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 11:18:39 AM »

To update this thread.

I hate video installs. I'm having to come out and troubleshoot way too many issues that may/may not be related to the install I did.

I switched the 1964a out for trueCABLE (ANSI TIA/EIA 568-C.2) Cat6 FTP [I know not the best; on a budget] and Atlona HDBaseT boxes.

Run is ~160ft so well within the 1080p/60m max spec.

Now the projectors will randomly lose connection and regain it immediately (with a flash to black).

What bothers me is the old DVI extender cable worked fine, but the newer technologies don't work well.

I did some research while writing this and it seems I might need to use higher quality connectors (Liberty AV RJ45-STP-L6) Than the ezEX™44 Shielded, External Ground, CAT6 Connectors I used (big no-no apparently).

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 11:44:26 AM »

To update this thread.

I hate video installs. I'm having to come out and troubleshoot way too many issues that may/may not be related to the install I did.

I switched the 1964a out for trueCABLE (ANSI TIA/EIA 568-C.2) Cat6 FTP [I know not the best; on a budget] and Atlona HDBaseT boxes.

Run is ~160ft so well within the 1080p/60m max spec.

Now the projectors will randomly lose connection and regain it immediately (with a flash to black).

What bothers me is the old DVI extender cable worked fine, but the newer technologies don't work well.

I did some research while writing this and it seems I might need to use higher quality connectors (Liberty AV RJ45-STP-L6) Than the ezEX44 Shielded, External Ground, CAT6 Connectors I used (big no-no apparently).

My projector is DVI in. Most of my video is HDMI.
I find that some of my HDMI to DVI (adapters or cables) work and some don’t and I cannot see why. Very frustrating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 11:50:41 AM »

My projector is DVI in. Most of my video is HDMI.
I find that some of my HDMI to DVI (adapters or cables) work and some don’t and I cannot see why. Very frustrating.

Thanks for speaking up about adapters. Never heard of having issues with adapters. I got the highest rated ones on Amazon.
I have a few different models of DVI/HDMI though, I'll try a different adapter for kicks and gigles.

I'm definitely doing a lot of adapters: [Divintex] DVI > HDMI >  HDBaseT > HDMI > DVI [projector]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 11:50:41 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.