ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Orchestra outdoors, add reverb? And CL5 question.  (Read 6189 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Orchestra outdoors, add reverb? And CL5 question.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 10:52:27 PM »

lOL...Really? Do you actually think that the conductor is going to spend any of his precious time running out to FOH to listen to the orchestra, while who conducts the rehearsal? Not going to happen, especially if they are a union orchestra and they are under tight rehearsal/break time limits.

Better to talk to the artistic director or executive/managing director who are the ones who probably write the checks and book the crew for next year's show anyway.

This^^
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 12:22:38 AM »

lOL...Really? Do you actually think that the conductor is going to spend any of his precious time running out to FOH to listen to the orchestra, while who conducts the rehearsal? Not going to happen, especially if they are a union orchestra and they are under tight rehearsal/break time limits.

Better to talk to the artistic director or executive/managing director who are the ones who probably write the checks and book the crew for next year's show anyway.

For me it was the orchestra's general manager.  Maestro was busy and if he got involved it meant something was terribly wrong.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 04:04:17 PM »

In retrospect, you should probably have said "Thank You", loaded the trucks and went home!  (The end-result would have been the same.)

A few weeks later we arrived at a venue with our sound system AND 96K worth of 1000 watt PAR's.  This time it was a 50A dryer plug.  We were told "that's what everone else uses".  We hadn't unloaded anything but were sent packing by an angry promoter when we showed him the contract he signed.  He somehow stopped payment on a deposit check that had cleared my bank.  Sued, won, never able to collect anything!

John T. Cotton

• Frugal Audio
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 12:09:53 AM »

Orchestra outdoors, add reverb? And CL5 question.

I am asking this question of people that have outdoor orchestral experience.

It's been a while, but once upon a time I did a lot of orchestra/symphony dates outside.  Some standalone, some with full pop acts in front of them.  My $0.02 worth, go gently.  I don't like to pretend I'm in a space that I'm not.  But judicious, subtle, use of verb can help blend the sections back together.  The REV-X hall programs are a good place to start on CL5.
John T. Cotton

www.FrugalAudio.com

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 08:27:56 AM »

Yes, some Rex-X Hall reverb used sparingly, or more it requested, will help the outdoor sound of an orchestra. It's easy to get too much and as mentioned earlier, sounding like you are in a space that you aren't. The Rev-X is the one I keep coming back to.

As for the conductor walking out to listen to the mix, it's not unheard of. I have a wonderful working relationship with the conductors of the MS Symphony Orchestra and the USM Symphony Orchestra. Both of them liked being invited to listen to what I was doing and offer suggestions and did so early on until they got to the point of trusting what I did. There is always an orchestra "manager" of some kind that will listen in and sometimes offer ideas, but in general, they trust me after 20 or so years of working with them (And this is pretty much the only live gig I'll mix anymore).

Believe it or not, if the orchestra personnel find out you are a decent musician, too, it's almost like you can do no wrong. I always felt like the personnel respected me well enough, but a few years ago, I started playing bass again and shortly afterwards, a little pop-jazz group I played with opened for the big outdoor event that they do every year. Man, it was like, Welcome to the family with open arms from everyone, the conductor on down. And now I play in a few other bands that also have various orchestra members in them, too. Fun stuff these days!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 02:42:32 PM »

I'm a board member for our local symphony.  Our conductor always want's to hire more strings than the orchestra can really afford.  One solution for our orchestra has been to mic the string section even though we are in an auditorium with an acoustic shell.  When we mic those sections, we add a subtle amount of reverb and send the strings only to the sound system.  The conductor really appreciates this and knows it helps the sound for the audience.  He still wants more strings, but . . .

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 07:57:56 AM »

You might be surprised...  I’ve seen it happen, and yes with a union orchestra...  especially on outdoor summer type gigs. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 11:08:58 PM »

You might be surprised...  I’ve seen it happen, and yes with a union orchestra...  especially on outdoor summer type gigs. 

I second this. One of our biggest clients is a regional symphony. The conductor loves to walk to FOH and the lawn for outdoor shows and get a feel for the mix. It means a lot to him that we are trying to get his vision for sound.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 02:39:07 PM »

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 11:08:20 PM »

A follow up - The show went even better than last year. The sound system was functional from the start this year so I was able to deal with the subtleties. The only issue I found was that left was right and right was left. But since I had no plans to try and do any stereo effects it didn’t affect me. I don’t mix in stereo even though I almost always set up a system in stereo. 

We got nothing but compliments. I used a tiny bit of reverb on the orchestra and no one knew it was there. That is the way I like to do this kind of thing, enhance it but not so that someone can point out why it is better. The Yamaha CL5 and I are still not best of friends. I don’t dislike it but to me there is some really weird behavior to the navigation. I brought a tarp that is blue on one side and shiny silver (gray) on the other. I put it over the top of the FOH cover with the blue side down and tied it in the corners. It cut down on the sunlight coming into the FOH so I was able to see the touch screen a lot better. That really helped me a lot. Since the sun was low enough in the sky by show time, I removed the tarp before the show started so it wouldn’t be a distraction. 

To the comments about the conductor and making friends, I didn’t respond earlier because I wanted to be careful to not accidentally spill the beans. I have worked with this conductor for years and I knew she was retiring but it wasn’t officially announced until this concert.

Thank you for all of the recommendations.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 11:08:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.