ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rcf 8006 and 9006  (Read 19677 times)

Taylor Hall

Re: Rcf 8006 and 9006
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 02:21:08 PM »

Snip
Seems like the iron triangle is hard to escape in pretty much every aspect of this business. It's always a worthwhile exercise to compare options and see if gains in any given area would justify the cost. I often have to be the voice of reason when the "Oooh shiny!" impulse strikes at new gear haha
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 02:58:42 PM »

Michael,

The 2268H is also around 8mm Xmax.

I was just going from the JBL SRX828s spec sheet, did they change from the 2242H?

Art

The spec sheet you're referencing is for the *STX* 828s, which does use the old 2242H. The *SRX* 828s is the subwoofer model in question in the posts that you were responding to. Easy to mix up!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 03:03:34 PM »

The spec sheet you're referencing is for the *STX* 828s, which does use the old 2242H. The *SRX* 828s is the subwoofer model in question in the posts that you were responding to. Easy to mix up!

No mixup I have STX's not SRX's.

It's interesting that JBL quotes the SRX's 3db hotter in MAX SPL.  Without a frequency range it's a meaningless number.

The Meyer quotes continuous SPL.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 04:36:53 PM »

Man, I'd sure be hard pressed to replace paid off Meyer gear with anything else. That logo sure seems to count for a lot in this business.

Comparing Danley TH118 (I think I want to upgrade to these), STX828S (the JBL'ss I have 6 of them, our B system) and Meyer 650-R2 (we have 12 of these, our A system)

I found this thread interesting, can I really replace my workhorse Meyer's 2:1.  This is what I came up with (specs on the bottom). 

The amazing thing,  The Danley's are about 4 db continuous and 6db apart from the Meyer.

The JBL's don't go as low but are really inefficient, taking shitloads of power to do the same thing..  99db efficient, again about 6db so they need at least 3000 watts to do what the Meyers do on with a 1000.

The Danley's would replace the Meyer's 2:1 but need three times as much power. 

The JBL's should keep up with the Meyer's but they don't and they are nowhere near as musical.

The Meyer's are paid for and despite their age nobody would turn them down.

The Meyer's and the Danley TH118XL's are about an inch apart in dimensions.

Interesting stuff. 

Meyer 650R2 in Column 1, Danley TH118XL in Center Column, JBL STX828S in third column

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 04:46:21 PM »

I found this thread interesting, can I really replace my workhorse Meyer's 2:1.  This is what I came up with (specs on the bottom). 

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Hi Scott, I don't have any of the subs you have, or a TH-118. 
But I've spent a lot of time comparing JTR orbitshifter and labhorns to some of my DIY double 18 designs and a pair of Meyer mts4a's sitting on top of a 650-p, which ends up being four 18" and 2 15" all cranking together.

For high quality double 18"s, I wouldn't count on a 2:1 replacement ratio from a horn sub.   
My gut says I'd better be ready to settle for 3:2.....especially if digging down low.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 04:47:15 PM »

Man, I'd sure be hard pressed to replace paid off Meyer gear with anything else. That logo sure seems to count for a lot in this business.

+1 Unless you are losing business, there isn't much reason to change.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 04:58:43 PM »

Hi Scott, I don't have any of the subs you have, or a TH-118. 
But I've spent a lot of time comparing JTR orbitshifter and labhorns to some of my DIY double 18 designs and a pair of Meyer mts4a's sitting on top of a 650-p, which ends up being four 18" and 2 15" all cranking together.

For high quality double 18"s, I wouldn't count on a 2:1 replacement ratio from a horn sub.   
My gut says I'd better be ready to settle for 3:2.....especially if digging down low.

Agree and that's why I am trying to expand the scope of the thread.  While it is about the RCF's it is the same theme as many.

The query always seems to be should I spend money on one sub over another.

From the lounge level of 2-4 boxes up to the regional provider the economics of the upgrades just never seems to make sense.  Even at 2:1 how long does it take to load 6 extra cabinets on the truck and transport them?

The difference between the subs at this level seems very minimal both on paper and in the real world.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 08:49:05 PM »

Agree and that's why I am trying to expand the scope of the thread.  While it is about the RCF's it is the same theme as many.

From the lounge level of 2-4 boxes up to the regional provider the economics of the upgrades just never seems to make sense.  Even at 2:1 how long does it take to load 6 extra cabinets on the truck and transport them?

The difference between the subs at this level seems very minimal both on paper and in the real world.
The problem is the "simple paper numbers" only give part of the answer.

There is much to the sound that simple numbers simply cannot do.

And unless they are measured in the same way/conditions, simply numbers can give very misleading answers.

A much better way than the simple numbers is to look at the UNPROCESSED freq response, for a giving input signal level and measurement distance.

THEN you have something to start to compare actual capabilities.  You must assume the wattage rating is accurate, so you have a know multiplier for the total SPL.

But you also don't know the distortion etc, which can greatly affect the sound, or what they sound like with the max applied signal.

That is where the side by side tests come into play.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 08:59:12 PM »

The problem is the "simple paper numbers" only give part of the answer.

There is much to the sound that simple numbers simply cannot do.

And unless they are measured in the same way/conditions, simply numbers can give very misleading answers.

A much better way than the simple numbers is to look at the UNPROCESSED freq response, for a giving input signal level and measurement distance.

THEN you have something to start to compare actual capabilities.  You must assume the wattage rating is accurate, so you have a know multiplier for the total SPL.

But you also don't know the distortion etc, which can greatly affect the sound, or what they sound like with the max applied signal.

That is where the side by side tests come into play.

Agree on all that....The Meyer does quote distortion "Total harmonic distortion shallbe less than 3% at 130 dB SPL one meteron axis at 60 Hz"

You are also right, they don't work well without the factory processors.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 11:33:56 PM »

Scott,  the "next axioms" to go with:

1) The wrong product at the right price is still the wrong product
2) Buy once, cry once

3) Profit potential/expense minimization is set at the time of initial purchase decisions
4) Excess capacity is infinitely expensive and lateral moves are usually just plain dumb

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 11:33:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.