ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup console?  (Read 4695 times)

John Roll

Backup console?
« on: May 09, 2018, 06:43:35 PM »

What do you carry as a spare in case your main FOH console goes down? I have an 8ch. Soundcraft (analog), w/ no outboard gear. It helped get me through the night once. I use a StudioLive 16.4.2 (non AI) for all my shows.

John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Re: Backup console?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 06:55:02 PM »

I keep an XR18 as a backup for my X32 Rack.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 06:56:42 PM »

I used to carry around my Gigrack powered head as an 8 channel back up to my Expression 2.  But I recently found a 16 ch Yamaha MX that's fairly small.  Got a SKB soft bag for it.  Most things I can fit into 16 channels so that's better prepared.  I also have my old A&H GL24 in the back of the garage but it's bigger and heavier than the Soundcraft so unless I absolutely needed to back up 24 channels it stays home.  The MX has some FX and Yamaha's one knob compression on some channels so that's handy.  I've used it for some small gigs.  Fortunately never had to pull it out over the Expression.  But you never know with a computer.  Having something small and handy standing by probably scares the computer into behaving.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 07:36:39 PM »

Depending on the size of the event, A&H GL2400, or a Presonus 16.4.2

Steve Crump

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 08:03:47 PM »

I use the QU-PAC as a back up for the QU-16.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 08:05:59 PM »

I wrote an article about having a small extra mixer at gigs

https://www.prosoundweb.com/topics/sound_reinforcement/mvp_the_many_useful_applications_of_small_utility_mixers/

Currently I carry a QSC TouchMix16 to gigs as a backup and utility mixer. It also comes in handy as a recording device

Before the QSCs I used to carry a Mackie DFX12 as a backup and utility mixer. I still use the DFX mixers for breakout rooms.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 08:38:36 PM »

I carry a pair of X32 Racks. If I need more than 16 mic pres I use the second as a stage box. If the primary would ever fail (never has) I can convert the stage box to a primary by loading a scene.

..db
..db

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 01:16:44 AM »

I carry a pair of X32 Racks. If I need more than 16 mic pres I use the second as a stage box. If the primary would ever fail (never has) I can convert the stage box to a primary by loading a scene.

..db

I just purchased a second X32 rack, and I think this makes for a very flexible combination. I have a built in backup in case one fails, a lot of I/O, separate boards for FOH and monitors (so musos don't screw with FOH), and it's not much more $$$ than an S16.

James Paul

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 06:34:50 AM »

X32Rack as backup for X32Rack.

Prior to then MusicGroup`s game changing product debut, had a 1642 series one save the day for a DL1608 that gave up the ghost at power-up.

We all be packing extra WiFi, power supplies, tablets, computers, USB/SD media, cat5/6, USB/FW cables, & self -powered cabs.... right ?

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 11:32:02 AM »

I also like the idea of a X32 Rack as a back-up for M32/X32.  I have considered a QSC Touchmix 30 as a possible backup for BE's that might want somethings more hands on, but I doubt they would be happy with anything but the requested console.  I've never had a digital console failure, yet. 

I had a Series 5 (my house console) go down during a show. Luckily my engineer was mixing.  I sent a rough and quickly constructed stereo mix from my monitor console back to FOH.  That was patched to LR main outs and sound was down for only a couple of minutes.  Though they knew we had a brief outage, I'm not certain anyone in the audience knew the mix was coming from the side of the stage for the last hour of the show.  I'm glad I had constructed a stereo mix for my own pleasure at monitors.  I often do that if it's a "set it and forget it" kind of monitor job.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 11:32:02 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.