ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Earworn mics  (Read 1343 times)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Earworn mics
« on: May 08, 2018, 11:19:37 PM »

As part of the 600MHz transition, I'm switching from AudioTechnia to Shure QLXD.  While I can have a TA4F connector installed on my existing AT Pro 92 mics, I'm also looking for other options to add to my inventory. My uses will be for lectures and some musical theater.  I will also be renting them out.

Countryman E6i is my default option. I'm open to other suggestions. MM Audio (Microphone Madness) is a possibilty.  DPA is out of my price range.  Anybody have any words of wisdom and advice?

If I go with the E6, any advice about which sensitivity option is likely to be my best bet?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Gary Greyhosky

• Carlisle, PA
    • Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC
Re: Earworn mics
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 08:33:35 AM »

Take A look at Point Source Audio. They offer several models of omni and cardioid mics. Very durable and sound quite good. My experience with them has been overwhelmingly positive. I prefer them to the E6 sonically as well.
Gary Greyhosky
Managing Partner
Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 10:05:20 AM »

DPA dFine if you can swing the budget.  Fantastic mic.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »

My biggest complaint with ear worn mics is most of them are too long for the faces/heads of the wearers. But most of them (including E6) can be ordered in custom lengths, but you usually can’t change your mind and return them. The mic element shouldn’t be so long that it gets all the way to the mouth and definitely not in front of the mouth. It should sit about an inch back from the corner of the mouth when the person smiles. If it is too long you will have to use a windscreen on it to minimize the P Popping and the breathing noises. The ones where the length is adjustable are nice as long as they are adjustable enough.   

Ken Braziel

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 10:54:39 AM »

Take A look at Point Source Audio. They offer several models of omni and cardioid mics. Very durable and sound quite good. My experience with them has been overwhelmingly positive. I prefer them to the E6 sonically as well.

Another vote for Point Source mics here, I just wrapped up a musical where we had 12 brand new Point Source over-ear mics, and a bunch of Countryman mics - I was very impressed with the quality of sound from the Point Source & put them on the main characters.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 11:00:12 AM »

DPA dFine if you can swing the budget.  Fantastic mic.
Another dFine vote.  They aren't that much more than Countryman.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

John P. Farrell

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »

In addition to all the good suggestions you've had so far I have also had great luck with Bodymics.com

Check them out, they offer a variety of options in every price bracket.

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 09:46:31 PM »

My biggest complaint with ear worn mics is most of them are too long for the faces/heads of the wearers. But most of them (including E6) can be ordered in custom lengths, but you usually can’t change your mind and return them. The mic element shouldn’t be so long that it gets all the way to the mouth and definitely not in front of the mouth. It should sit about an inch back from the corner of the mouth when the person smiles. If it is too long you will have to use a windscreen on it to minimize the P Popping and the breathing noises. The ones where the length is adjustable are nice as long as they are adjustable enough.

this^^

I'd rather the thing be too short than too long.  If i can get a mic element within 3 inches of someone's mouth and not make it sound good, there's something else wrong with my system.  But I hate to think of the number of times i've had breath noise, of popping or all manner of other unpleasant things because the mic was too long.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 11:50:44 AM »

this^^

I'd rather the thing be too short than too long.  If i can get a mic element within 3 inches of someone's mouth and not make it sound good, there's something else wrong with my system.  But I hate to think of the number of times i've had breath noise, of popping or all manner of other unpleasant things because the mic was too long.

Thank you for your input. I'm going to also look at the headworn styles that allow the boom to be adjusted fore/aft.  I assume that there is probably somewhat higher resistance to a headworn rig than an earworn, especially for folks that are not used to being mic'ed.

Thanks to the folks who suggested DPA too, but they are outside of my budget. 
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 11:50:44 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.