ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: On Stage Stands 'standing up'  (Read 3062 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: On Stage Stands 'standing up'
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 05:18:18 PM »

I use a variety of K&M, On Stage, and Atlas stands. I have no complaints about any of them considering the abuse they've taken, but in the long run, nothing beats my old Atlas cast iron based stands. Here I go again, more heavy old school iron.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve Garris

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 06:21:13 PM »

I use a variety of K&M, On Stage, and Atlas stands. I have no complaints about any of them considering the abuse they've taken, but in the long run, nothing beats my old Atlas cast iron based stands. Here I go again, more heavy old school iron.

For the straight stands with a round base I went with Atlas as well. Very nice stand for the price!

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 06:41:56 PM »

... nothing beats my old Atlas cast iron based stands.

I've got a couple of those that look like they've been through the wars.  And, I guess they have!

For "pretty" gigs, I picked up some K&M stackable straight stands.  The pistol grip thing takes a little getting used to, but the horseshoe bases are nice.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 07:24:59 PM »

I've got a couple of those that look like they've been through the wars.  And, I guess they have!

For "pretty" gigs, I picked up some K&M stackable straight stands.  The pistol grip thing takes a little getting used to, but the horseshoe bases are nice.

Dave

I bought a set of replacement shafts to use at weddings or corporate gigs. I repaint the bases every so often with appliance paint.

A few of my Atlas stands are 50 years old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Wes Garland

!!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 08:03:37 AM »

Just my .02 cents. I own Hercules, Gators, On Stage, Samson and DR Pros and I much prefer the DR Pro mic stands over all. Well except for mini booms, I like the Samson MB 1. For me I don’t find the DR Pros to be a POC.

I'm surprised you like the Samson MB-1.  I find they break really easily, right at the top of the threads that come out of the base.  The most recent break happened after one drive in the van......it fell over, maybe another stand rolled on top of it?  Who knows. They are delicate!  I only have one left, I keep it disassembled in my box now.  At least the booms and clips are nice.

I have replaced them with used Ultimate Support stands I found that are nearly identical, but built better. They are reinforced at that break point and use thicker steel. I can't find those stands new, unfortunately.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: !!
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »

I'm surprised you like the Samson MB-1.  I find they break really easily, right at the top of the threads that come out of the base.  The most recent break happened after one drive in the van......it fell over, maybe another stand rolled on top of it?  Who knows. They are delicate!  I only have one left, I keep it disassembled in my box now.  At least the booms and clips are nice.

I have replaced them with used Ultimate Support stands I found that are nearly identical, but built better. They are reinforced at that break point and use thicker steel. I can't find those stands new, unfortunately.
It's weird how experiences can be so different...( I realize this could also be due to model/price paid etc)
I own 2 Ultimate Support mic stands ( and some speaker stands and sub poles too which are really nice BTW) and I am reminded of a customer service  experience with those guys too.
I purchased 2 boom mic stands a couple of years ago and neither were strong enough to hold up the the booms securely. The clutches were pretty poorly designed it seems. I was very disappointed.
However I used one of them once in a while - the one that with some force would hold up OK. I just had to be careful not to use where mic weight or boom angle would be an issue.
The other one was pretty useless - even for a light vocal mic, so I shelved it - got them on a  deal online and it would have been too much hassle to return them.
Anyway, about 6 months later I figured I'd at least write to Ultimate Stands and explain my problem. Long story short- they ended up sending me the replacement clutch parts for repair. The new clutch worked well - better than the one I had been using - and I can now use the stand again.... so although they didn't send me a complete stand - which I wouldn't expect anyway, they did send me replacement parts to repair mine.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Crump

Re: !!
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »

I probably don't gig as much as you. My busiest year was probably less than 40 shows and after that restless year trying to work full time and gig, I decided to pull it back to no more than 12 a year. So, my stands don't get a lot of exposure. My oldest MB stands are 4 years old, I have a total of 7 and I have had no issues at all.

On the other hand, a couple weekends back I setup two speakers on stands for announcements at a Humane Society Dog Walk. I had loaded into the van, two standard On Stage mic stands (not booms). When I arrived at the park, one of the On Stage stands had broken just as you described the MB had broken, right at the base. I still don't know what caused it, but looking at the threads and tubing it is really thin and wouldn't have taken much. These On Stage stands that I have are probably 7 years old and they were inexpensive so I am not going to complain.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:11:01 PM by Steve Crump »

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »

I will second the On-Stage stands and parts.  It is nice when they have a parts inventory and you can trouble shoot, order replacements when things get broken. 
I too had a good replacements ordered and repaired. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.