ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Kick Drum in Sub  (Read 19192 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Kick Drum in Sub
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2018, 12:55:36 AM »

Could be many combinations of reasons, as mentioned un-supervised system use and abuse, no high pass filtering, maybe the incorrect filter/crossover set up that made you overdrive the system low end while not producing any real low end you still burned up the
speakers.

This post started back on May 7th not sure how long the issue was going on before that. You stuck with it for over two months now trying to get this this resolved for your church and that's good but all this time your church has had a crippled sound system and still does.
I'm going to boldly say with in a couple hours any competent audio service tech would have have gone through your system layout, found the blown woofers, made any needed changes to hopefully prevent or at least make it harder to blow up the next time.

Now is the time to bring in that person, do not just replace the woofers and move on, If you do chances are you'll be doing it again in a couple months.

I am still not convinced.  Did you turn off all the amps but the sub amp?  Did you play the sine waves as suggested.

Isaac, you are one of the nicest guys here but it seems that applying the advice (and you have gotten a boat load to sort through) is a bit challenging to you.  You are struggling with the basics of EQ still.  Getting a pro to look at this is a must.  I think if someone showed you how to EQ and adjust compression it would be worth more that the a million words.

Didn't a labster offer to stop by for some help?  Did that interaction ever happen?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2018, 03:33:22 AM »

Question - is the audio in the video reasonably accurate to what you're hearing when in front of the speakers?

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2018, 08:11:01 AM »

Question - is the audio in the video reasonably accurate to what you're hearing when in front of the speakers?

Chris

I kind of wondered that to, with everything it sounds like was going in the room you didn't
really have the best conditions for trouble shooting a problem.

Blown speakers or not, it's time to bring in a competent tech.

Also lets keep in mind you only have a single double 12 direct radiator "sub". That will give you a nice thump but it is not going to shake the building and knock the wind out of you.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:17:59 AM by Mike Caldwell »

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »

Mike/Scott,
I completely 100% agree with you guys.  Thank you for the bold and stern words.  You guys (and everyone here) have been more help than you will ever know.  I often tell my wife about how you guys are so willing to share things that you’ve spend your entire lives learning with a greenhorn like myself.   It really does mean a lot.

I am not one to give excuses.  But I would like to solidify something I’ve said on here several times.  I am in small-town Kentucky.  And things do not work here like they do in bigger cities.  They just simply don’t.  Thank God, I go to a progressive church, that was not afraid to put some money on the table and get a very nice sound system (and other great updates in the church).  But when I run into an issue, or a problem that I’m trying to diagnose, one does not simply “stop-by” and help.  I have to do my best to resolve the issue myself first.  The closest sound professional to us is a minimum of two hours away.  And we hired one of those companies.  And clearly, they did not do the best of jobs.

Furthermore, I live in a different town (haha that’s what we call it) than my church is in.  I have small kids.  I have a job and a side job.  For me to go to the church and spend a couple of hours, is something I have to plan for.  And then by the time Sunday rolls around, it’s time for service.  Once again, not an excuse.  But I just don’t want you guys/gals to think I’m not listening and adhering to your advice.  I truly am.

So, at this point, I am stuck.  I am going to call the install company to get our speaker fixed under warranty (if they aren’t still upset with me.  I recently spoke to them sternly but very nicely, about how I am disappointed in the level of care they promised us vs the level we received.)  Anyways, I am going to call them.  But who’s to say the way they installed the subwoofer and amp the first time was wrong, and they don’t make the same mistake again?

I did try the sine wave a few weeks ago (I didn’t isolate the amps).  But that was literally the first time I had ever heard, much less used, a sine wave generator in my life.  I turned it on and swept it, but had no clue what to listen for.  I didn’t know good from bad  - and bad from good. 

Since I’m on stage every weekend and we have no one (other than the bass player) with enough sound skills to notice a problem, something like this blown-sub could have been going on for a while and no one ever noticed. 

Once again, thank you all for your help.  I’m doing my best to be a good steward of my church’s money and trust.  What are your thoughts on finding someone else (other than the install team)?  Do you know anyone in the Kentucky area that you trust?  (note:  David Winners was unable to stop by.  He did contact me and let me know.  Not his fault.  His trip was simply canceled.)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2018, 04:59:20 PM »

At this point I WOULD NOT get the original install company involved any more, most here I think have a bad feeling about  what they did or did not do.

What town is the church in?

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2018, 05:44:54 PM »

At this point I WOULD NOT get the original install company involved any more, most here I think have a bad feeling about  what they did or did not do.

What town is the church in?

I am about 5 hours from Lexington Kentucky.   If you don't have a resolution by Sept. (the first time I have a free weekend) maybe we can work something out.

Anything good to eat or something the wife would enjoy?

It would be nice to resolve this.  You would probably learn a lot in a very short period of time.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2018, 08:41:21 PM »

I am about 5 hours from Lexington Kentucky.   If you don't have a resolution by Sept. (the first time I have a free weekend) maybe we can work something out.

Anything good to eat or something the wife would enjoy?

It would be nice to resolve this.  You would probably learn a lot in a very short period of time.

We are in Columbia, KY.

Scott - That would be great. We are close to Lake Cumberland (beautiful lake). We have a few local restaurants that you would enjoy.

I’m positive I would learn a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2018, 09:49:28 PM »

We are in Columbia, KY.

Scott - That would be great. We are close to Lake Cumberland (beautiful lake). We have a few local restaurants that you would enjoy.

I’m positive I would learn a ton.

You are only an hour and 40 minutes from the largest concentration of sound engineers per square mile in the world (Nasheville).  That's a made up statistic but maybe one of our Nashville brothers will be headed your way.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2018, 11:00:28 PM »

It looks like your 4 1/2 hours from me. Not out of the question but it would be mid September till I could even think about it.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2018, 07:53:42 AM »

It looks like your 4 1/2 hours from me. Not out of the question but it would be mid September till I could even think about it.

That’s a be great, Mike. It would be great to have any or all of you guys come for visit. Ha. But seriously. If you can help us out, please let me know the dates.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2018, 07:53:42 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.