ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Kick Drum in Sub  (Read 19234 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Kick Drum in Sub
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2018, 12:09:24 PM »

One good thing with the 300 hZ cut is that it makes some sonic space for the Bass guitar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2018, 01:09:24 PM »

One good thing with the 300 hZ cut is that it makes some sonic space for the Bass guitar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've been really studying, practicing, and learning sound in the last couple of years.  And the biggest thing I've learned, I think, is that each instrument or singer must have it's own space in the sound.  That's been one of the biggest revelations for me.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2018, 11:13:39 PM »

Well, I知 pretty confident we have a blown subwoofer. I took a video. I知 trying to attach my Dropbox link to it. Hopefully this work. The drummer is playing the kick. I un-mute the kick channel and you can hear what it sounds like. Let me know if the link doesn稚 work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbhdmjqidt8pach/IMG_5934.MOV?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Ferreira

« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2018, 11:16:46 PM »

Well, I知 pretty confident we have a blown subwoofer. I took a video. I知 trying to attach my Dropbox link to it. Hopefully this work. The drummer is playing the kick. I un-mute the kick channel and you can hear what it sounds like. Let me know if the link doesn稚 work.

Hard to tell how much volume or EQ are you using, but under normal gain, yes it sounds blown. Does it do that at lower volumes?
John Ferreira

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2018, 03:27:11 AM »

I've been really studying, practicing, and learning sound in the last couple of years.  And the biggest thing I've learned, I think, is that each instrument or singer must have it's own space in the sound.  That's been one of the biggest revelations for me.

IMO, that should first and foremost be applied to the arrangement of the music - If we've got 17 electric guitars, it's going to be difficult to tell them all apart no matter what happens at the desk.
I often see the guys on a certain studio-related forum talking about how they'll carve up the EQ of some instruments in order to "make room" for others, and to me that seems crazy. If you're screwing up the sound of one thing just to make sure the other can be heard, isn't it time to stop and choose one of them? That's assuming that all opportunities of panning them differently etc have all been exhausted, too.
It gets worse when they talk about the relationship between bass guitar and kick drum - they make one "deep" and the other "punchy". Why not bypass some compressors, and let the kick drum come through as a transient that comes above the level of the bass guitar?

Sorry about the rant. I really find the excessive processing in modern music very annoying.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2018, 04:14:01 AM »

Link works, sub doesn't, after two months and over 100 posts :^).

Sounds like dragging coils, likely sloughed off due to overheating, or smashed from over-excursion.
Confirm by isolating the amp as suggested in #75, and test it properly with a swept sine wave as suggested back in post #38.

Probably looking at re-coning both drivers, considering the acoustic drum sound had more LF output than the sub..

Art

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2018, 02:56:08 PM »

Link works, sub doesn't, after two months and over 100 posts :^).

Sounds like dragging coils, likely sloughed off due to overheating, or smashed from over-excursion.
Confirm by isolating the amp as suggested in #75, and test it properly with a swept sine wave as suggested back in post #38.

Probably looking at re-coning both drivers, considering the acoustic drum sound had more LF output than the sub..

Art

How does that happen?  We do worship and gospel music.  We don't play over 90db.  No EDM.  Even the tracks we rarely play aren't played loud enough to blow this sub.  The sub is in a cavity in the stage.  But there's breathing room behind it.  Just for learning purposes, I'd like to know how something like this happens.  Or maybe it came this way from the factory and we never noticed...

Thomas Harkin

• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2018, 03:14:44 PM »

Just for learning purposes, I'd like to know how something like this happens. 

I've heard of janitors playing music on the auditorium system, in the middle of the night, loud enough that they could hear the music in the rest of the building!

Needless to say, there were blown speakers involved!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2018, 05:44:46 PM »

I've heard of janitors playing music on the auditorium system, in the middle of the night, loud enough that they could hear the music in the rest of the building!

Needless to say, there were blown speakers involved!

That happened in a small club install I did with my own gear.  The cleaning guy figured out how to power up the booth and shredded cones followed.  The dance floor area was in another room (double door passage) and he'd crank it up until he could hear it at the other end of the club.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2018, 09:53:10 PM »

How does that happen?  We do worship and gospel music.  We don't play over 90db.  No EDM.  Even the tracks we rarely play aren't played loud enough to blow this sub.  The sub is in a cavity in the stage.  But there's breathing room behind it.  Just for learning purposes, I'd like to know how something like this happens.  Or maybe it came this way from the factory and we never noticed...

Could be many combinations of reasons, as mentioned un-supervised system use and abuse, no high pass filtering, maybe the incorrect filter/crossover set up that made you overdrive the system low end while not producing any real low end you still burned up the
speakers.

This post started back on May 7th not sure how long the issue was going on before that. You stuck with it for over two months now trying to get this this resolved for your church and that's good but all this time your church has had a crippled sound system and still does.
I'm going to boldly say with in a couple hours any competent audio service tech would have have gone through your system layout, found the blown woofers, made any needed changes to hopefully prevent or at least make it harder to blow up the next time.

Now is the time to bring in that person, do not just replace the woofers and move on, If you do chances are you'll be doing it again in a couple months.

ProSoundWeb Community

ツォ Reply #109 on: July 09, 2018, 09:53:10 PM ツサ

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.