Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

New to DJing, want to try it.

<< < (2/6) > >>

Lance Hallmark:
I would recommend starting off with the Pioneer DDJ-SX or SX2. Reasonably compact, fairly full featured, this controller will take you from getting started to doing paid gigs. Used legacy models can be found for under $500, new SX2 can be had for about $1k. Make sure you check all the buttons and faders if buying used.

Dennis Wiggins:

--- Quote from: Rob Spence on May 04, 2018, 02:00:43 PM ---Donít forget royalty licenses. If you play a real gig.

--- End quote ---

https://www.mobilebeat.com/prosanddjs/

If you want to specifically discuss licenses, please open up a new subject.

-Dennis

<edit> I didn't intend that to be snarky; just that DJs and licensing is a topic unto itself.

-D

Chris Grimshaw:

--- Quote from: Dennis Wiggins on May 04, 2018, 04:19:23 PM ---https://www.mobilebeat.com/prosanddjs/

If you want to specifically discuss licenses, please open up a new subject.

-Dennis

<I didn't intend that to be snarky; just that DJs and licensing is a topic unto itself.

-D

--- End quote ---

... Probably further complicated by the fact that I'm in the UK, and things may be a little different here.
I expect it'll take a lot of practice (years) before I get good enough to make any money from doing DJing, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks, everyone, for your input so far. I'll start shopping around and see what I can find. I'll probably buy second-hand so I won't lose much if I decide I don't get on with it.

Chris

James Hennessy:
I'll echo the recommendations for something from the Pioneer line.  Especially if you'd like to play out at clubs that probably have an in house set up of CDJ 2000 and DJM900 or DJM2000 mixers. 

If you want to use turntables and a mixer then Rane's Serato or the new Phase wireless system that's about to come out would be good to consider.   

If you haven't seen it yet check out this Phase demo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL46Uw8M6HA

Lee Douglas:
Like you, I've been doing live sound for years.  About ten years ago I hit a bit of a dry spell for live sound gigs. I had the sound equipment and wanted it to be making money, so I started offering DJ services.  I picked up a used Hercules RMX in a case, for less than $100.  I thought it would be temporary and that I would be moving to something better inside of year, but it did and still does everything I need it to do.  It has a decent four channel sound card and controls what I need it to control in my software.  It feels substantial and has good weight to it, unlike some of cheap plastic consoles. The one thing I wish it had are XLR outputs, but since I'm usually very close to mixer I plug it into, it hasn't really been an issue.  If I were looking for something for rental stock, I would be looking into something much better and rider friendly.  But this is just for me to make my equipment a little more profitable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version