ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Business Minded Questions unending  (Read 17954 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Re: Business Minded Questions unending
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 06:20:02 PM »

Also, I'm being smart and doing my research on ticket pricing vs production pricing.

What is the typical production percentage of the ticket price?

Should have searched first...
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,75187.msg684540.html#msg684540

So 25% (what I came up with) of the ticket price($15 for 1500 people) is going to be way too much.

I do like this thread. Keep the discount to the end.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,86082.msg787131.html#msg787131
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:46:52 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: Business Minded Questions never-ending unending :P
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 08:14:26 AM »

I'm working on some numbers for that big potential client.

Is it customary to add a discount for multiple gigs throughout a summer/fall season?

Large event (~$5k) with 10 summer gigs and 5 fall gigs.

Nathan, one thing to keep in mind and I don't know your exact situation.  If you know which type or the level of the groups that you are doing and they are all 'like' in requirements, a discount is easy to figure out and I would give an additional 10% of my regular price.  That also assumes that all 10 show will happen.  However, here is what you get into when you book several shows at a single price and the artist level changes:

Black Oak Arkansas (no additional production cost whatever you have is good as long as it works - non sound person traveling with the group)

Jefferson Starship same as the above - (no I am not siting Starship)

Blue Oyster Cult (line-array, SC-48, there own engineer as well as other requirements)

Dennis DeYoung (line-array, Midas Pro 2 full, extensive light package)

So as you can see, who the artist and depending on what level the artist plays and can demand specific equipment can change the services and price dramatically.

Just things to keep in mind.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 11:09:54 PM »

Nathan, one thing to keep in mind and I don't know your exact situation.  If you know which type or the level of the groups that you are doing and they are all 'like' in requirements, a discount is easy to figure out and I would give an additional 10% of my regular price.  That also assumes that all 10 show will happen.  However, here is what you get into when you book several shows at a single price and the artist level changes:

Black Oak Arkansas (no additional production cost whatever you have is good as long as it works - non sound person traveling with the group)

Jefferson Starship same as the above - (no I am not siting Starship)

Blue Oyster Cult (line-array, SC-48, there own engineer as well as other requirements)

Dennis DeYoung (line-array, Midas Pro 2 full, extensive light package)

So as you can see, who the artist and depending on what level the artist plays and can demand specific equipment can change the services and price dramatically.

Just things to keep in mind.

Bill

Thanks, Bill,

You make good points.

I think this would be standard setup with zero or very little deviation. Perhaps a higher-class band might ask for something special, but I don't think it is typical at this venue to provide those.

---

Here are the details/numbers.

Non-Profit is putting the summer concert series on.
$15 ticket or $125 ($8.3 per concert) for a season.
~1500 people attend.
15 concerts.

Median: $17,500

I don't think I can justify charging the 5.9k I came up with from my quote sheet.
Although... it is 3% of my MSRP (plus labor) so that worked out semi-correctly (on the high-end).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:14:40 PM by Nathan Riddle »

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 04:42:29 PM »

I think this would be standard setup with zero or very little deviation. Perhaps a higher-class band might ask for something special, but I don't think it is typical at this venue to provide those.

In that case, think "out loud".  That is, include a clause stating your quote is based on a fixed package and that any additional equipment required by any particular act will result in additional charge (at cost, if you feel that's appropriate).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 08:36:54 PM »

In that case, think "out loud".  That is, include a clause stating your quote is based on a fixed package and that any additional equipment required by any particular act will result in additional charge (at cost, if you feel that's appropriate).

Dave

When we bid on a series of concerts we always include the riders as presented to us as part of the bid package, reference them as exhibits, and include language that our fee is based on those documents and that change orders are additional line items on the invoice. 

The reality seems to be that entertainers change their minds often, and by the time the show is 2 weeks out... "everything you know, is wrong."   :o  This often leads to the change orders I mentioned.

We don't want to eat the fee for 8 IEM mixes & 12 receivers when, a week before the show, the band decides to fly in...  but other stuff we'll throw in, like extra mic stands for Wireless World, extra stage AC, etc.  I don't nickel & dime clients.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2018, 08:45:46 AM »

Well, I sent my number to the promoter. We shall see!

---

Came across the below today, good stuff.

Quoted with permission; author: Iain Mackie; forum: FB - Danley Sound Labs User Group
2 things you need to work out to get to a price per season.
1- how much budget do they have? Not the easiest thing to find out but worth trying, as if you are miles out you aint getting the gig and JBL is cheap on the rental so you need to compete.
2- how much is the gear you are putting in worth to you? is it on finance or have you already paid it off, when my hire gear is still on finance I usually want a bit more of a premium than when it is paid off.

Is there a rate card for rentals in the USA for Danley products? In the UK we have decided that all hire shops do a flat rate which is about 1/75th per day of what you paid new inc your discount.
For long term hires I would normally throw the rate card out the window and work out your total spend on the rig and divide it by 1.5-2 years. so if you spent $80,000 on it for example divide that by 78 and 104 weeks which equates to $1025 over 1.5 years or $769 per week over 2 years per week rental. All Kinna depends but im sure the other companies will be pricing much the same or leaner. Another consideration is how much work you have for the gear when its not the season and after the contract ends. If the answer is not a lot you best get your money back over the course of the contract.
May I ask how many weeks is the season on which they will pay for rental?
Good luck

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 10:48:15 AM »

The collusion between Danley providers in the UK is illegal here in the USA.  Price fixing is taken seriously the USDOJ.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 10:52:11 AM »

The collusion between Danley providers in the UK is illegal here in the USA.  Price fixing is taken seriously the USDOJ.

Hmm, yes. But generally, everyone has a number it's 1-3%, right?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »

Hmm, yes. But generally, everyone has a number it's 1-3%, right?
More or less, depending on season, availability, market location, and client relationship...

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2018, 02:16:09 PM »

Well, I sent my number to the promoter. We shall see!

Best of luck to you Nathan.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2018, 02:16:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.