ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IP controllable displays  (Read 2316 times)

Keith Finch

IP controllable displays
« on: April 30, 2018, 08:28:45 PM »

Searching for a line of displays to use in small classrooms, and boardrooms. Requirements are HDMI input and IP control (Extron) of the normal functions. ON, OFF, Input selection, Volume, Mute. In the past we have used a lot of Sharp units. But the latest run is Not controllable via IP some can be turned ON but not Off What are they thinking. The new Chinese parent company has trashed much of the line, speakers are unusable.

Thanks in advance

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
Re: IP controllable displays
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 01:49:30 PM »

Searching for a line of displays to use in small classrooms, and boardrooms. Requirements are HDMI input and IP control (Extron) of the normal functions. ON, OFF, Input selection, Volume, Mute.

Our standard is Samsung PM or ED series of commercial monitors. They work and are solid. For installations in departments that don't have the budget for a proper commercial unit and don't need the more robust operation, we have been using Sharp PN-LEx01 series. (not sure if they are still in production, but I believe the replacement is very similar)

On the on/off issue, there is a string you can send to enable the NIC to stay active while the unit is off. We had the opposite issue at first: they would respond to commands once you turned them on, but once you turned them off, they went completely to bed.

You have to turn the unit on, then send a specific string to the unit that tells it not to turn off the network interface on shutdown. You only have to send the string once. We have it automated into the Extron control to re-send whenever the display turns on if a flag is not set.  Not being able to turn it off makes no sense! Call Sharp and ask, or talk to Extron about it. Extron will know if it is a control issue that many people have had.

Keith Finch

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 04:03:01 PM »

Glen

We have a lot of these running now. Its the latest batch that are longer controllable. We did contact Sharp and were told this is the way they work now. Its hard to believe that they would remove functions, but it appears they have. Thats why I am looking for alternatives.

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 07:43:52 PM »

Glen

We have a lot of these running now. Its the latest batch that are longer controllable. We did contact Sharp and were told this is the way they work now. Its hard to believe that they would remove functions, but it appears they have. Thats why I am looking for alternatives.

Wow, that is odd. Thanks for the heads up! What monitors are you using?

Keith Finch

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 12:04:27 PM »

PNR 606 & 706. We were using 603, 703, 609, 709

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »

Glen

Is it possible they have migrated those functions to HDMI CEC?  (does Extron even offer CEC access?)

Or how about implementing an RS-232 box at each disply that would make you essentially brand agnostic?  -Could be helpful when existing installations that need displays replaced and you are now stuck with only the new model
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Keith Finch

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 01:54:53 PM »

Rs232 is available on the 603,703. I was surprised in today's market place that the replacements in any mfg lineup would drop IP controls. It seems that IP is the norm not the exception. I know everyone is looking for cost cuts, but will these cuts have removed many mfg from our purchase choices.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 01:54:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.