ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mute switch vs cable with inbuilt mute switch  (Read 2001 times)

Tony Mamoh

Mute switch vs cable with inbuilt mute switch
« on: April 29, 2018, 02:24:35 PM »

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/livewire-essential-xlr-microphone-cable-with-on-off-switch
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-planet-waves-circuit-breaker-instrument-cable-with-latching-cut-off-switch-straight-plug-by-daddario?rNtt=Instrument%20cable%20with%20on%20off%20mute%20switch%20&index=1

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jhs-pedals-mute-switch-pedal?rNtt=Mute%20switch&index=2

I have a scenario in my church that I feel the solution is to incorporate  a mute switch. The instrumentalists/choir are at the far back end of the church, up on the first floor gallery. The mixer is in a control room of sorts , up on top of the alter, two hundred feet away. Unfortunately, the FOH Engineer cannot see what is going on with the band. So sometimes, someone in the band plugs or unplugs an instrument and causes unpleasant popping noise in the Church PA system. In all probability, the mixer was probably meant to be used in an unmanned mode!

To minimize the popping noise, I am recommending the use of either an instrument or mic cable with inbuilt isolation or mute switch as shown on above links, or a dedicated standalone mute switch. I'll like to get real life feedback on folks that have tried any of these options to help me select. The cable option appears cheaper, although if a longer cable is required, one can use cable connectors to achieve the desired length subject to the maximum permissible limits for jack cables.

The standalone mute switch is a passive one, and the battery is only required for the led light.

Thanks!.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Mute switch vs cable with inbuilt mute switch
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 02:38:22 PM »

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/livewire-essential-xlr-microphone-cable-with-on-off-switch
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-planet-waves-circuit-breaker-instrument-cable-with-latching-cut-off-switch-straight-plug-by-daddario?rNtt=Instrument%20cable%20with%20on%20off%20mute%20switch%20&index=1

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jhs-pedals-mute-switch-pedal?rNtt=Mute%20switch&index=2

I have a scenario in my church that I feel the solution is to incorporate  a mute switch. The instrumentalists/choir are at the far back end of the church, up on the first floor gallery. The mixer is in a control room of sorts , up on top of the alter, two hundred feet away. Unfortunately, the FOH Engineer cannot see what is going on with the band. So sometimes, someone in the band plugs or unplugs an instrument and causes unpleasant popping noise in the Church PA system. In all probability, the mixer was probably meant to be used in an unmanned mode!

To minimize the popping noise, I am recommending the use of either an instrument or mic cable with inbuilt isolation or mute switch as shown on above links, or a dedicated standalone mute switch. I'll like to get real life feedback on folks that have tried any of these options to help me select. The cable option appears cheaper, although if a longer cable is required, one can use cable connectors to achieve the desired length subject to the maximum permissible limits for jack cables.

The standalone mute switch is a passive one, and the battery is only required for the led light.

Thanks!.

Fixing human problems with technology is supposed to be expensive. ;)

Of the choices you have, the "silent" 1/4" cables require no action on the part of the user.  Provide the cables and tape them to the DI or amp input.  I'd imagine that in a HoW setting most of the instrumentalists are not moving significant (>15 feet) distances from their home positions so put up 20 ft cables and call it good.

Mute switches require active operation by the player.  If they can't remember to signal FOH or wait until the service is over they won't remember to use the mute switch, either.

That said, is this happening during a musical performance or between them?  It would seem the FOH operator would mute the band until they were about to play again, but if this is about the acoustic guitarist switching instruments during a song or a transition, the silent cable is probably your best bet.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tony Mamoh

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 03:26:49 PM »

Fixing human problems with technology is supposed to be expensive. ;)

Of the choices you have, the "silent" 1/4" cables require no action on the part of the user.  Provide the cables and tape them to the DI or amp input.  I'd imagine that in a HoW setting most of the instrumentalists are not moving significant (>15 feet) distances from their home positions so put up 20 ft cables and call it good.

Mute switches require active operation by the player.  If they can't remember to signal FOH or wait until the service is over they won't remember to use the mute switch, either.

That said, is this happening during a musical performance or between them?  It would seem the FOH operator would mute the band until they were about to play again, but if this is about the acoustic guitarist switching instruments during a song or a transition, the silent cable is probably your best bet.

It happens during regular church service. Random periods. During performances when the service is on, during quiet moments the when only the reverend father is supposed to be speaking and  there shouldn't be any activity from the choir/band. Very random.....and as you said, its impossible for the band to communicate with FOH Engineer. And by the way, the mixer is usually unmanned. Even when manned, the noise level by the choir (I call it noise since the music is very loud) won't allow a cheap walkie talkie to be used to communicate.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 03:48:29 PM »

Adding a remote mute switch that the meat (talent) can mute at the wrong time, is an accident waiting to happen.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 06:13:32 PM »

Video camera on the band for FOH to see?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tony Mamoh

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 06:26:28 PM »

Video camera on the band for FOH to see?

Too expensive. Sounds like killing a fly with a sledgehammer!

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 07:53:12 PM »

Add in that a cable unplugged and on the floor when they let go of the switch may leave a hum on the open channel to the sound system. 
 Saw this when the keyboard was unplugged and the cable dropped to the floor.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 03:40:42 AM »

I’m using both the version with a switch on the connector and the one that kills the audio when you pull the plug.

Both versions are working great, but on the first version you need to remember to engage the switch and it has been forgotten at some times ;-)

The switchless connector have been working great with no issues so far.

Tony Mamoh

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 09:09:01 AM »

I’m using both the version with a switch on the connector and the one that kills the audio when you pull the plug.

Both versions are working great, but on the first version you need to remember to engage the switch and it has been forgotten at some times ;-)

The switchless connector have been working great with no issues so far.

Noted!

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 09:19:32 AM »

It is important to make sure that the silent-plug cable is inserted completely into the instrument jack on the guitar.

I’ve had intermittent signal when using them because a slight wiggle of the connector when it’s not fully inserted would “mute”/“unmute” the signal.

I think more-recent versions have a longer shaft on the switch mechanism so that it engages a little sooner.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 09:19:32 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.