ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM only venues  (Read 2580 times)

jim whitmer

IEM only venues
« on: April 29, 2018, 08:31:56 AM »

Anyone working clubs/bars that are IEM only? If so, how does that fly with bands that are usually using blazing wedges and guitar amps?

Jeff Schoonover1

Re: IEM only venues
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 10:52:47 AM »

I haven't heard of such a thing here in the Denver area, but it's coming.  The sooner the better.  The use of minimal/non-existent stage volumes and IEM's is a benchmark that separates real, good bands from slim-talent amateurs who still insist on bringing marching snares and Marshall rigs to nightclubs.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »

I haven't heard of such a thing here in the Denver area, but it's coming.  The sooner the better.  The use of minimal/non-existent stage volumes and IEM's is a benchmark that separates real, good bands from slim-talent amateurs who still insist on bringing marching snares and Marshall rigs to nightclubs.
Yeah, because there is obviously no one in between successfully using amps and monitors on stage.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Art Nadelman

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 12:37:32 PM »

I would imagine that they would only hire bands that use only IEMs.  IEMs take some getting used to for bands that use floor wedges exclusively.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »

Yeah, because there is obviously no one in between successfully using amps and monitors on stage.

The venue I work in most frequently has a max cap of 2000.  In such a venue we still have to endure the Marshall (or Vox or Twin or Super Reverb) set on "Romulan disrupter" that requires an FOH mix SPL of 110dBA to keep up...  It's one of those dubious "artistic things" typically from one trick pony players.

Is there some in-between?  I'm sure that it exists, Jay, but like Sasquatch it's almost never seen and reports are anecdotal.  ;)

The main downside to IEM-only is that it leads to guitar modelers that sound like a buzzing bee hive with a subwoofer.  I've gotten good at dialing up HPF/LPF filters -  typically such rigs get HP at 140Hz and LP around 1k2 to 1k6.  That's a significant amount of HF getting dumped because for whatever reason the player either thinks it sounds good or he/she simply doesn't hear it.

Then I get to work with guitarists who can create almost any tone from a Pignose practice amp, 1 pedal, and their fingers.

"I may not know much about art but I know what I like" - John Cleese as the Pope in a Monty  Python sketch, reprimanding Da Vinci for putting kangaroos in The Last Supper
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 01:06:32 PM »

The venue I work in most frequently has a max cap of 2000.  In such a venue we still have to endure the Marshall (or Vox or Twin or Super Reverb) set on "Romulan disrupter" that requires an FOH mix SPL of 110dBA to keep up...  It's one of those dubious "artistic things" typically from one trick pony players.

Is there some in-between?  I'm sure that it exists, Jay, but like Sasquatch it's almost never seen and reports are anecdotal.  ;)

The main downside to IEM-only is that it leads to guitar modelers that sound like a buzzing bee hive with a subwoofer.  I've gotten good at dialing up HPF/LPF filters -  typically such rigs get HP at 140Hz and LP around 1k2 to 1k6.  That's a significant amount of HF getting dumped because for whatever reason the player either thinks it sounds good or he/she simply doesn't hear it.

Then I get to work with guitarists who can create almost any tone from a Pignose practice amp, 1 pedal, and their fingers.

"I may not know much about art but I know what I like" - John Cleese as the Pope in a Monty  Python sketch, reprimanding Da Vinci for putting kangaroos in The Last Supper
On the other side, I have had guitarist s on in ears, still play the uncontrolled volume game but now totally oblivious to it's effect on stage volume due to the isolation.

One recent national had a pair of open backed amps turned around and pointed at the hard wall. Another had a nice isolation box.

The last was a three piece  from Texas ( imagine that) with wedges and a half stack.

Guess whose tone and volume worked best in the FOH mix.

Jay Barracato

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 01:08:13 PM »

On the other side, I have had guitarist s on in ears, still play the uncontrolled volume game but now totally oblivious to it's effect on stage volume due to the isolation.

One recent national had a pair of open backed amps turned around and pointed at the hard wall. Another had a nice isolation box.

The last was a three piece  from Texas ( imagine that) with wedges and a half stack.

Guess whose tone and volume worked best in the FOH mix.

And for the buzzing, how can you tell with these Nashville acts all of a sudden need in eight channels of tracks

Jay Barracato

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 02:20:15 PM »

And for the buzzing, how can you tell with these Nashville acts all of a sudden need in eight channels of tracks

Yeah, we just had a hard rock version of Karaoke.  All the critical stuff was on playback.  The drums were mostly live, though.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 12:37:55 AM »

Vegas is pretty much all IEMs except for a few old legends who want to hear natural music on stage and have the pull to make it happen.

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 04:14:14 AM »

.....has a max cap of 2000.  In such a venue we still have to endure the Marshall (or Vox or Twin or Super Reverb) set on "Romulan disrupter" ....

LOLOL  ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 04:14:14 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.